• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honing/rebore service in McKinney area

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Hi gents, I have a CRF450X barrel that needs a good hone, might even need a rebore to get the marks out. Being relatively new to the area I don’t know of any reputable places to get this done? Wondering if anyone had any recommendations? There is a local Honda dealer here called Maxim, not sure if they do this work or farm it out, however I had them fit a new exhaust valve to another CRF450X Head about a year ago and they put it together wrong, mixed inlet valve collets and exhaust valve collets up (inlet and exhaust valves have different shaft diameters and collet sizes), we are all human so mistakes happen and they fixed it as soon as I pointed it out (but it shouldn’t have happened!), then I recently had the 600 mile service performed by them on my wifes new FZ07 to keep the warranty valid and they tensioned the chain as if it was a bow string, I haven’t seen a chain that tight ever, it would have really done a number on the gearbox output shaft bearing in a few hundred miles, so not really wanting to give more service work to them.. they where great for buying bikes and parts, nice people but their service dept doesn’t seem to be very good. Any suggestions? I need a shop that can check if a hone will remove the marks or rebore and hone if that is what is needed.

Gary

Last edited:
Im probably wrong but i heard you have to send it out of state in the mail, only 2 good places maybe thats just for 2 strokes.

A CRF450F cylinder is plated, can not be done with a standard bore and hone.
Will need to be stripped, bored, plated and hones.

Millennium Technologies http://www.mt-llc.com is my go to for that.
Drop it and the new piston in a USPS priority flat rate medium or large box as it fits with packing and off it goes, back to you in a 10 days or so.
They can also supply the piston if you dont already have one.

MT also has an exchange program, where they keep some cylinders in stock and ready to go.. You have to call and check stock in real time though as the on hand inventory is always changing

A CRF450F cylinder is plated, can not be done with a standard bore and hone.
Will need to be stripped, bored, plated and hones.

Millennium Technologies http://www.mt-llc.com is my go to for that.
Drop it and the new piston in a USPS priority flat rate medium or large box as it fits with packing and off it goes, back to you in a 10 days or so.
They can also supply the piston if you dont already have one.

MT also has an exchange program, where they keep some cylinders in stock and ready to go.. You have to call and check stock in real time though as the on hand inventory is always changing

I'll second that ^^^
Millennium is my first choice also. Unfortunately I gave up on my local resources long ago.

I'll second that ^^^
Millennium is my first choice also. Unfortunately I gave up on my local resources long ago.

I know of only one local (Inside Texas) place that can do the job, and they don't offer walk in service.. They build parts and motors for F1..even if they did do walk ins..... the job would likely cost about the same as buying a new bike..:giveup: F1 is the playing field of the rich ... mere mortals need not apply.

Its a nikasil plating right. You can try a nylon brush hone to remove piston or ring material from the bore but thats it.

I think they told me to wipe it down with muratic acid which will remove the aluminum deposits and if you cant feel the scratches with your finger nail or a seal pick then throw another piston in it, and give it a go. This was all from the 2 stroke world though. O and also you need to measure the bore for out of round and to see which piston diameter to use.

Last edited:
I think they told me to wipe it down with muratic acid which will remove the aluminum deposits and if you cant feel the scratches with your finger nail or a seal pick then throw another piston in it, and give it a go. This was all from the 2 stroke world though. O and also you need to measure the bore for out of round and to see which piston diameter to use.

Thats all good info :giveup:

Though I don't use a steel pick, just fingernail or a hard plastic scraper

Thanks BWDMAX, I saw your post too late, have already ordered a new piston and rings from Honda!! I spoke with Millennium and they basically indicated it was about $250 to fix the cylinder, I see sellers on ebay selling brand new, genuine Honda CRF 450x cylinders for $225, so I just bought a new cylinder rather than mess around shipping this cylinder and getting it back in a few weeks. I had no idea it would cost so much to hone/rebore a plated cylinder!! used to the old steel barrels where I used to get them rebored all the time for peanuts!! :trust:

Gary

Back