• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

North Texas Dirt

Thanks for sharing, I don't live far from that route, think my wife, Daughter and myself all need to go and ride this route on our dual sports!

Gary

Very nice. I'm in Frisco and my DL1000 and I have ridden all of these many times. It's possible to ride all the way to Texoma and then (I've been told but haven't yet done it) cross the red river into OK and continue on dirt roads.

FWIW I've also dropped my Vee. Now I've put a skid plate and crash guards on it.

If a few of you wanted to ride these with me let me know. I'm afraid the rain we're getting now might mess these up for a while. Especially the nicer red clay roads up near Texoma.

A metal skid plate is a good idea on the deeply rutted roads on this route. On some of the sections I would ride on a narrow section surrounded on both sides by deep ruts deeper then the ride height of the bike. A slip would have hit that OEM plastic guard and who knows if it would have survived. I have a metal skid guard but removed it becuase it starves the oil cooler of air and in the hot summers the engine would run too hot.

I have a metal skid guard but removed it becuase it starves the oil cooler of air and in the hot summers the engine would run too hot.

What kind of skid plate were you using? I run an Altrider on my Vee and haven't had any overheating issues

What kind of skid plate were you using? I run an Altrider on my Vee and haven't had any overheating issues

I removed stock plastic shield and installed a motech skid plates on my dl1000 2012. It came with kit to install with the Givi crash bars. I first noticed a problem when my right ankle would cook from the heat being deflected to it. The reason for the heat I discovered was the Motech skid plates blocks alr to oil cooler and divert air away from exhaust pipes. The bike runs a full bar hotter (3 vs 2 bars normally) maybe 20%. The Motech plates provides large holes in front so air will get to the oil cooler radiator. HOwever that only allows <50% of the air the oil radiator would get with the stock shield installed. With the Motech, my right ankle would cook when in a normal riding position on the peg from the added engine temp cuased by reduced air flow and due to the reduced air flow over the exhaust pipes. Ive since removed the motech and put back on the stock deflector. Very comfortable now even on hottest days.

I removed stock plastic shield and installed a motech skid plates on my dl1000 2012. It came with kit to install with the Givi crash bars. I first noticed a problem when my right ankle would cook from the heat being deflected to it. The reason for the heat I discovered was the Motech skid plates blocks alr to oil cooler and divert air away from exhaust pipes. The bike runs a full bar hotter (3 vs 2 bars normally) maybe 20%. The Motech plates provides large holes in front so air will get to the oil cooler radiator. HOwever that only allows <50% of the air the oil radiator would get with the stock shield installed. With the Motech, my right ankle would cook when in a normal riding position on the peg from the added engine temp cuased by reduced air flow and due to the reduced air flow over the exhaust pipes. Ive since removed the motech and put back on the stock deflector. Very comfortable now even on hottest days.

The Motech is an inferior design. That's why I chose the Altrider. Much better airflow and still excellent protection. Also it's stronger than the Motech. I won't ride on these gravel and rock roads with that flimsy plastic. Need to protect the sump and oil coooler

The Motech is an inferior design. That's why I chose the Altrider. Much better airflow and still excellent protection. Also it's stronger than the Motech. I won't ride on these gravel and rock roads with that flimsy plastic. Need to protect the sump and oil coooler

Ill take a look at the Alrider...thanks!

I have the Motech crash guards and the Altrider skid plate. If you decide to do a setup like that you'll need to fashion a bracket to mate them. My son and I made a simple bracket from a piece of 90 Aluminum angle stock we bought at Lowes.
You can see the BIG slots in the Altrider in this photo. I really like the way they've positioned them for both cooling and protection.

13010588_984415844941075_288184324487133694_n.jpg

Nice. Thanks for the picture! I looked at the mfr website pictures. The air flow blockage in front of the oil cooler seems significantly more even then on the motech. Id still be worried about the oil temp.

Last edited:
Back on to the original subject :) -- I'm heading out to play in a bit. Going from Frisco up to Fannin County (Bonham, maybe as far as Paris or up to Telephone and the Red River.) Lots of dirt roads to ride up there. Gotta remember to turn my GPS track on so I can record some maps and post them.

Rkruz, thanks for posting this! I just moved to the area and am struggling with finding good off-pavement trips, and gave your route a go this morning... It was an excellent trip.

Funny thing, I had to turn back on the same road you did, it got pretty rough, plus there were a number of stubborn cows in the path that I didn't feel like challenging ;)

If you find yourself headed out that way again, let me know, I'd be happy to give it another go.

Rkruz, thanks for posting this! I just moved to the area and am struggling with finding good off-pavement trips, and gave your route a go this morning... It was an excellent trip.

Funny thing, I had to turn back on the same road you did, it got pretty rough, plus there were a number of stubborn cows in the path that I didn't feel like challenging ;)

If you find yourself headed out that way again, let me know, I'd be happy to give it another go.

Hi Elbro. Im so happy to hear someone tried one of my routes. Thanks for letting me know. LOL. YOu had the common sense to turnaround. I only turned around after the road slapped me down, busted up my bike and pointed me back the other way. That sign "rough road" wasnt kidding!.

I have several great rides north of Dallas. Id love to get together for a ride. Ill PM some contact info.

I'm thinking about doing this early tomorrow Sunday July 4... Meet at Bucc-ees next to the speedway at 0600.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about doing this early tomorrow Sunday July 4... Meet at Bucc-ees next to the speedway at 0600.

love to but Unfortunately Im in California. Drip me a line if you want to do get together for a ride next weekend.

I should be able to... Just had to cancel my 4 day weekend ride in CO and bummed

Back