• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brake rotor

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Need to replace on dirt bike, any need to locktite?

Attachments

• Brake Disk.jpg
    Brake Disk.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 167
Thanks guys, was leaning that way but wasn't sure.

I guess it needs a little "break in"? Doesn't feel as good as the one I took off. Just pushing around yard, didn't actually start and ride.

I guess it needs a little "break in"? Doesn't feel as good as the one I took off. Just pushing around yard, didn't actually start and ride.

Did you clean the rotor before and after install with a solvent?
Are you using new pads?

Bedding brake pads is a real thing,,,it does take dome use to get the pad to perfectly conform to the rotor, especially if used rotor or pads are part of the mix.

I didn't replace pads, should I? The old rotor was bent in one spot. But after removing it had a lot of wear too. BTW, this is an older bike (KTM300) I picked up as a buddy bike. So not sure of it's history. Thanks

I didn't replace pads, should I? The old rotor was bent in one spot. But after removing it had a lot of wear too. BTW, this is an older bike (KTM300) I picked up as a buddy bike. So not sure of it's history. Thanks

I would deglaze the old pads.. You can do it as simply putting a piece of 400 grit sand paper on a flat surface (window glass works well) and give the pads a dozen figure 8 tripes around the sand paper. Blow off with air, and or some brake clean and re install.
Then ride, they will feel weak at first but get better as the pads bed into the new rotor

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=brake+pad+bedding&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

No need to buy new pads, a deglaze will improve the bed in process, however since you mentioned that the old rotor was pretty worn, your old pads probably have a significant wear profile from that old rotor.

Since KTM brake pads didn't change for the longest time, I have several sets of new pads front and rear on the shelf all the time anyway--I usually stock up when there is a sale, etc.

I would put new pads on the new rotor, and throw the old pads in your portable tool box, trailer, etc. They will come in handy for when one of your buddies needs pads on a ride because they forgot to check before they loaded up.

Last edited:
Good suggestion, I ordered with rotor, just being cheap. :( expensive hobby we have. Lol

I'd take the old pads off the calipers,
then w/ a sheet of rough sandpaper laid down on table, silde the asbestos side of the pad on the sandpaper to peel off the glazed skin.

Then w/ fine sandpaper laid down on table, slide the metal side of the pad on sandpaper to peel off the dirt and crud.

I do this about 3-4 times a yr. w/ my pads and after a heavy mud ride.

Back