TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Smoky14

Easiest Tire to Mount

I'm fairly new to radial tires and need the advice of the forum concerning mounting tires. I've always "spooned" on tires myself until I tried my first set of radials. Maybe it was the brand or maybe it is true of all radials.
I tried to mount a set of Bridgestone T30s and found it to be impossible with hand tools. Is it possible with other brands or am I left at the mercy of shops that want 50+ per tire to mount.
Thanks guys

Smoky
Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Re: Easiest Tire to Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky14 View Post
I'm fairly new to radial tires and need the advice of the forum concerning mounting tires. I've always "spooned" on tires myself until I tried my first set of radials. Maybe it was the brand or maybe it is true of all radials.
I tried to mount a set of Bridgestone T30s and found it to be impossible with hand tools. Is it possible with other brands or am I left at the mercy of shops that want 50+ per tire to mount.
Thanks guys

Smoky
Very doable by hand.
It helps to start with a warm tire, this time of year that can be a challenge for some.
Real tire lube is super helpful as well.
You must keep the bead down in the rim drop center...this can be quite difficult at times. I have found the "Yellow Thing" from NoMar works very well
https://www.amazon.com/No-Mar-AC-Y-0.../dp/B01LRIOSMO

I mount several tires a month and still do not own a tire machine... (Dynamic balancer Yes) and have not come across a tire I cant mount by hand. Though a few I will never do again by hand (ATV tire on a TW200 wheel)
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
humanrace

I second the "yellow thing". Also, a couple of "C" clamps for pinching the tire on the opposite side of the tire from the side you are spooning.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
gixxerjasen

Starting with a T30 is rough. I know this, because I mounted one yesterday. That is one super stiff tire. T30's were on clearance and I'm cheap so I grabbed a set, but my Michelin PR2's were always easy to install. Can't think of any that were easier than others but that T30 GT tire was stiff.

If you want difficult, change a tube tire on a 50cc dirt bike. That will use up every last bit of patience you have.
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
Starting with a T30 is rough. I know this, because I mounted one yesterday. That is one super stiff tire. T30's were on clearance and I'm cheap so I grabbed a set, but my Michelin PR2's were always easy to install. Can't think of any that were easier than others but that T30 GT tire was stiff.

If you want difficult, change a tube tire on a 50cc dirt bike. That will use up every last bit of patience you have.
There are a bunch of T30 tire configurations... MS・BELT, HTSPC, HTSPC & MS BELT and it just depends on front or rear, tire size and BATTLAX SPORT TOURING T30 EVO or BATTLAX T30 SPORT TOURING ..they are not all hard to mount, but some are worse then others all in this one tire "model"
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote