TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Re: I need chain advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs View Post
A proper chain tool while not needed makes the job much easier and quicker than the home methods I did prior to acquiring the proper tool for the job. As for rivet vs clip. It's personal preference. I prefer the rivet link personally.
$9 or less to press the side plate on https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0070
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SQI7WU7H&psc=1
$19 or less to install the clip and never accidentally tweak it, stretch it, or otherwise damage it on install. (Oh and don't forget to install it the correct direction, closed end forward in normal forward rotation of the wheel/ chain)https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0230
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...R3PFM9Y5&psc=1
$89 or less and you get a rivet tool if rivet links are your preference.
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0058
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4BGKFD8K&psc=1

Of note, I have seen the same basic chain press kit at cycle gear on sale in the $25 range.. It is not a heavy duty shop ready use every day kit, but I have had one for years now, and it still does the job as well as my pricey one.

Quote:
I have seen many home mechanics buy a rivet tool off of Amazon or wherever and then proceed to ruin their new link (and chain sometimes) by having no idea how to do the job properly.
Absolutely, and those same type home mechanics install the clip of a clip link type incorrectly and ruin their new link (and chain, swing arm, transmission, hub sometimes) by having no idea how to do the job properly.. So yes, knowing how do the job is kind of an implied requirement no matter what style link you plan on installing Id say.. Strange the way that works..
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I am curious about the long accepted wisdom of ALWAYS changing sprockets with chain. I suspect that this might be a holdover kind of thing, kind of like changing oil every 3K miles even though most modern oils can easily go MANY more miles than that without any problems. Many people grew up hearing the 3K number and they just can't let it go. Every time I have changed a chain, I have compared the old and new sprockets to each other. There have only been a small handful of times where I could see any visible deterioration of the sprockets, and even then it was barely noticeable. Granted, I did not take a micrometer to them. I am wondering if the original notion came about because of poor grade steel in early sprockets that allowed them to wear significantly worse than newer sprockets? Perhaps quality sprockets now are made of better metals and wear is not as big an issue?

On my KTM, I swap sprockets depending on the type of riding I will be doing but keep the same chain (so long as the chain is good). I always check the sprockets when swapping and so far have not seen any indication of wear. I did the same with my KLR 650 when I had it. In theory, there is no relative motion between the sprocket and chain rollers except perhaps at the tip of the teeth on the sprockets when they engage and disengage. So friction wear should not cause the valleys between the teeth to enlarge. I have seen tips of the teeth wear enough that the tips thin to the point where they can start to bend, but never on any of my sprockets.

I understand the idea behind replacing matching wear items to prevent premature wear on any of the items. But I just can't help but wonder if that really still applies in all cases? My experience is limited to just doing my own sprockets and chains, so admittedly my sample set is small.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #23
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I am curious about the long accepted wisdom of ALWAYS changing sprockets with chain..
I think I say it more like.. Its a good idea, than always.. And its not always

If Im asked to quote a job, it comes with both sprockets and chain.
If not all needed then not all replaced.
Aluminum sprockets do not last long and likely get replaced "Always"

Front sprockets that see more revolutions and wear than rear sprockets often get replaced "often" due to wear.

Rear steel or composite sprockets of good quality with adjusted and cared for chain often outlast the chain.

I have a IronMan 39th sprocket that is on it's....peeeft likely 10th or more chain, just sold it to a guy for his DRZ, it shows no wear.

I have a Stealth sprocket on my VTR that has 36k on it, 2nd chain..teeth show no wear.

I've seen and replaced cheap steel sprockets in under 10k miles...
The OEM rear steel sprocket on my wifes CRF230 , the OEM sprocket is hooked and in need of replacement...She might have put 15 miles on it in the last 3 years, and the previous owner rode it often I guess, but I did not get the impression it was lots of miles, just long weekend "trips" with short rides from camp each day
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #24
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Here is a bit on inspecting a sprocket for wear limits
https://pin.it/ii6jfpx6nae5m5

http://www.renold.com/company/latest...orn-sprockets/
Post event services

Total Rider

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-29-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #25
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

And these guys know a little bit about chains and sprockets
http://tsubaki.ca/pdf/library/Tsubak..._Sprockets.pdf

https://www.ustsubaki.com/pdf/the-complete-guide.pdf
Post event services

Total Rider
Old 01-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #26
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I use the Ironman sprockets as well and they last very well!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote