• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting a dirt bike road legal

Woohoo! Title finally came in from Austin. No mo' "offroad use only":rider:

I just heard my friend that sold it to me, I can get a lost title duplicate, thanks

Where you been, how's the Jeep project?

Done, and sold. Lol

Attachments

• Resized_20170509_081303001.jpg
    Resized_20170509_081303001.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 326
Get a clear title, street or not, and then register it in AZ. No inspection, no insurance needed, it doesn't have to have any street gear to get the title done...they just tell you it has to be done to legally street it. Put on your lights, horn, high beam indicator, and take it to a Texas after the 2 year registration runs out and title it in TX as clean street. Cost, around $29 for the AZ part of it.

Get a clear title, street or not, and then register it in AZ. No inspection, no insurance needed, it doesn't have to have any street gear to get the title done...they just tell you it has to be done to legally street it. Put on your lights, horn, high beam indicator, and take it to a Texas after the 2 year registration runs out and title it in TX as clean street. Cost, around $29 for the AZ part of it.
Quit bragging Shadman!!!

So, I just go this done on my '15 KTM 250 Freeride (June 2019) In Harris County (Downtown Houston)
I took the bike to my mechanic and got a state inspection done (just like a street bike or car) and got the "PASS" receipt.
I filled out Form 130-U and I also printed off Page 14-14 of the Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual about "Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles"...

Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, an
application for corrected title is required to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with
the application for Texas title.

And I brought my title (forgot it the first time).
When I got to the counter and explained what I wanted done, the clerk was a little confused and had to talk to her superior. She was told an Off Highway vehicle can't be reclassified so I showed her page 14-14 and told her it had been modified, which she again took to her superior. Then they came back with, "I don't have the safety inspection". That is the inspection from my mechanic and they said that it didn't prove the bike was modified. This is where I calmly explained to them what an "Inspection" is and what it covers. I was confident but nice and friendly during the whole process and at this point they agreed and processed the registration. I paid for the registration fee and they gave me the license plate. Now I'm just waiting for my new title from Austin.

For all of those who have gone before me and shared their experiences getting this done...THANKS!!!

I wasn't bragging, lol, rather offering help. I can process a title for my twtex family with a notarized power of attorney, then have it notarized for sale, and in your hands. 4 day turn around. 2 day usps each way. No inspection, no insurance needed, no sales taxes (out of state), no drama!

I wasn't bragging, lol, rather offering help. I can process a title for my twtex family with a notarized power of attorney, then have it notarized for sale, and in your hands. 4 day turn around. 2 day usps each way. No inspection, no insurance needed, no sales taxes (out of state), no drama!
I know this is older thread but my DMV or tax office here in mineral wells tx is giving me a hard time acquiring a title for my mini bike Coleman ct200u-ex. I started the insurance policy today and got it inspected and I'm pretty sure I've got everything I need to make it legal except the title / registration for the plates. The person I got it from never got a title. Looks like I'm going to have to go the bonded title route? Is this my only option? Any tips on the bonded application form? Guessing I have to mentioned I bought it from someone which is ok they are a friend and I do have a bill of sale . Just want to get it registered (legal) so I can ride peacefully. Are you able to help or assist me mextrekadv? Thanks

See if the original owner has the Certificate of Origin that was issue at the time of sale.... if that is missing you maybe able to go the assembled bike route.

See if the original owner has the Certificate of Origin that was issue at the time of sale.... if that is missing you maybe able to go the assembled bike route.
Right he doesn't have it. Would it be possible to contact Coleman somehow and get a replacement? Going the assembled route what all does that involves? I did buy a bigger ducar 212 motor to swap the 196 factory motor. Idk kinda just upset knowing that only 1 step away but really didn't want to go the bonded titles route and then the other DPS inspection and so forth

I don't think you'll ever be able to get that street legal.

" We have to get from A to the Mexican restaurant and back to A." Billy Gibbons.

I don't think you'll ever be able to get that street legal.

" We have to get from A to the Mexican restaurant and back to A." Billy Gibbons.
Well I've seen several that has , but why would you think not.? They come with a mso usually. But I bought mine from my friend who purchased from tractor supply but it was a returned item from customer who claimed gas tank leaked so my friend only paid 200 for it.

Does it have a vin number?

The problem is that the MSO for that VIN number was not turned in. I dont think you can get a bonded titled. The MSO is the start of the paper trail. If it was never submitted to a state DOT, then the only option will be "shop built". TXDOT wants to know who built it and you cant prove it.
I hope I am wrong.

That is cool I didn’t realize that. I would say with a bike this cheap trying to get a title with no MSO is not worth the hassle. I would sell this one for all I could get and buy a brand new one with MSO if you really want to get a tag on one.

Reactions: JMZ
That is cool I didn’t realize that. I would say with a bike this cheap trying to get a title with no MSO is not worth the hassle. I would sell this one for all I could get and buy a brand new one with MSO if you really want to get a tag on one.
Right I've recently been thinking about that. Just swapping my engine, all the extra mods and the lights etc over to the new frame with mso then make it legal. Ive mailed off the bonded title form to the regional office today so now just waiting for them to process and send my denial letter back so I can hopefully finish the process

The problem is that the MSO for that VIN number was not turned in. I dont think you can get a bonded titled. The MSO is the start of the paper trail. If it was never submitted to a state DOT, then the only option will be "shop built". TXDOT wants to know who built it and you cant prove it.
I hope I am wrong.
There's really no way to tell if the mso has ever been submitted to txdot right?

Well just a small update with my paperwork submitted for the bonded title. Ft worth regional office sent me the vtr-125 appraisal form to be completed. As well as I have to get the vtr-68-a completed by law enforcement. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on where I should go to get the appraisal done ?

Reactions: JT
Well my DMV couldn't figure out how to complete the registration process, I did get the title application and awaiting the title now. It's going to come as off road vehicle only. She tried to do the registration as motorcycle but asked for the odometer and we'll it doesn't have one so she had to do the off road route. Once I get the title i plan to just go back and try to do the title update modification vehicle status change showing them the current title inspection and insurance. Hopefully then I'll be able to get it street legal

Unless there has been a change to the rules, there is no requirement for an odometer/speedometer. Ask them to show you the requirement in their handbook. I have three bikes without odometers. When getting an inspection the inspector just writes exempt in the mileage field since their is no law that says you have to have an odometer.

Well my DMV couldn't figure out how to complete the registration process, I did get the title application and awaiting the title now. It's going to come as off road vehicle only. She tried to do the registration as motorcycle but asked for the odometer and we'll it doesn't have one so she had to do the off road route. Once I get the title i plan to just go back and try to do the title update modification vehicle status change showing them the current title inspection and insurance. Hopefully then I'll be able to get it street legal
I just did a wr450f and told the lady it does not have an odometer and she put down it was beyond its mechanical limits. Registered as street bike. Works for me

Back