• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

DRZ is one of those bikes I really want to add to the garage. I miss my DR350 but the one time i rode a DRZ400 I wanted to trade it right away lol.

What department are you with?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

There's nothing wrong with them, just the wrong size for off-road riding. They are both 17" for the super moto look. The factory S and E models came with a 21" in front and a 18" in back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good luck with the wheels. For the number of sumo conversions out there you'd think there'd be a glut of cheap wheels on the market, but apparently the Suzuki wheels for the DRZ are made out of solid gold.

Nice Drz400sm ..... I need to get one of those or a different SuperMoto bike.

I know where you can get an AWESOME supermotard......

IMG_0280.jpg

Hey DR/DRZ community! I got my hands on this old 03 DRZ and just got her road worthy.

Question: Does anyone know the specs on the seat bolts? It came with only one that was stripped, which I managed to remove but can't find now, so need the specs to pick up some bolts at the hardware store.

i-rsrKw9X-L.jpg

Hey DR/DRZ community! I got my hands on this old 03 DRZ and just got her road worthy.

Question: Does anyone know the specs on the seat bolts? It came with only one that was stripped, which I managed to remove but can't find now, so need the specs to pick up some bolts at the hardware store.

They are M6x1.0
Get some about 15mm or longer
If you have a rack that mounts using those bolts add the mount thickness to the 15mm

The original ones have the 8mm reduced hex flange head but a standard 10mm hex head works as well.

Its common for folks to pull the threads out of the seat mount holes by over tightening... If your sub frame has that issue a thread repair coil or bushing is an easy fix.

Last edited:
Finally got another DRZ, i've been without a ride for 4 months. 2015 S with 1900 miles. Just need to get some factory wheels back on it with some d606's
47094fa6834948264060e2e0d97d9a0c.jpg
ca76e3ec38a840fc23ca38b6ca9440fd.jpg

If you don't find something before then I'll be coming back from Colorado and can bring my extra set of dirt rims (with very few-miles factory type tires) at the end of May. I'll trade even with you. I need something that gets me closer to the ground. My dirt set works great and stays on the bike 95% of the time but I need to trade my street set for sumo.

'Course, I'll bet you're talking about stock sumo wheels aren't you?
Ron

I have warp9 sumos right now and want a dirt set up. I bought a set already but I will be getting rid of the sumo wheels if your interested

i-rsrKw9X-L.jpg

How many miles are on this bike?

They are M6x1.0
Get some about 15mm or longer
If you have a rack that mounts using those bolts add the mount thickness to the 15mm

The original ones have the 8mm reduced hex flange head but a standard 10mm hex head works as well.

Its common for folks to pull the threads out of the seat mount holes by over tightening... If your sub frame has that issue a thread repair coil or bushing is an easy fix.
Great. Thanks for that.

How many miles are on this bike?
Odo says 11K.

Why is it that apparently everything is very inexpensive till I want it. Previously it was "Oh, just pick up some cheap DRZ non-SM wheels for your SM, they should be cheap and plentiful what with all the guys doing SM conversions." Yea, right, I'm convinced Suzuki mixed gold into those with the prices.

Now it's "Got an E model? Oh yea, lots of folks pick up S or SM subframes for like $35-$50, cheap easy swap." Apparently more gold, or just the gixxerjasen curse.

Why is it that apparently everything is very inexpensive till I want it. Previously it was "Oh, just pick up some cheap DRZ non-SM wheels for your SM, they should be cheap and plentiful what with all the guys doing SM conversions." Yea, right, I'm convinced Suzuki mixed gold into those with the prices.

Now it's "Got an E model? Oh yea, lots of folks pick up S or SM subframes for like $35-$50, cheap easy swap." Apparently more gold, or just the gixxerjasen curse.

As soon as you give up and pay full price you'll find 3 or 4 selling for half that. At least that's my modus operandi.
That and "buy high, sell low"

Same here. Could you go out and buy an S subframe at full price so we can find some cheap ones? :D

Hey Erik, I now have a compression release machined cylinder head so I can put a kick start on my big bore with the nasty cams. I haven't found any references for moving the fan around to clear the compression release mechanism and cable.

So, I have a couple of questions and figured you would be an excellent source

first, do you know of any information on fan placement?

Will I have any trouble bolting my SM mag windings into a kicker left cover,

How small of a battery do you think I can get away with if I don't have to crank that big old motor with the E base gasket?

Thanks

Hey Erik, I now have a compression release machined cylinder head so I can put a kick start on my big bore with the nasty cams. I haven't found any references for moving the fan around to clear the compression release mechanism and cable.

So, I have a couple of questions and figured you would be an excellent source

first, do you know of any information on fan placement?

Will I have any trouble bolting my SM mag windings into a kicker left cover,

How small of a battery do you think I can get away with if I don't have to crank that big old motor with the E base gasket?

Thanks

Doug I don't remember any fitment issues when i added the manual Decomp on my S turned E turned SM. I use a stock fan, left radiator manual Decomp with cable running to the Magura Decomp lever which is part of the juice clutch perch.

If there was fan clearance issues it must have been minor as I dont remember them and looking at my bike I see nothing that is not stock location looking.

You can not use the Kicker left cover unless you are using a Kicker Crank and flywheel, so unless you "built" a full on Kicker motor, Im not sure what your going after or asking.

Thanks Erik, I was thinking of getting rid of the starter and didn't want to leave the "ugly" cover but rather preferred using the kicker cover. I just wasn't sure it would all work. But I could do the compression release which would aid both electric and kick starting.

DRZ E model aftermarket gas tank

DRZ400E_GasTank_02-XL.jpg

What affixes itself to those two threaded inserts?

I looked on parts sites and found the top one has a rubber strap attached.
But I never discovered that bolts to the bottom.

Am I missing a bracket?

That seems strange. I don't recall anything like that on my acerbis. IIRC it's the rubber strap and the two bolts on the sides that hold it in place. Aside from the plastics to the radiator of course.

The tank can be mounted on an S model by attaching an extra bracket to those mounting holes.

Back