• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha NIKEN. I'm curious.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
So maybe I'm late to the party but has anyone seen this?
Apparently being it's released this year and I'm conflicted to be honest. I look at it and wonder what problem were they trying to solve? But to be honest, if I had the chance to try it out, I would probably jump on it and go play, just out of curiosity.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK21-4WZnWM"]2018 Yamaha NIKEN - Technical video two: LMW - YouTube[/ame]

Yup, this one has been heavily discussed, and it's one of the few bikes I'd like to try out at a Yamaha demo day.

Yup, this one has been heavily discussed, and it's one of the few bikes I'd like to try out at a Yamaha demo day.

Weird, it didn't show up when I did a search.
I guess my search skills need improving, oh well.

Interesting, maybe I was thinking of a different forum, can't believe it's not on here, my search turns up nothing either. This forum is usually on top of weird stuff like this.

It's gotten lots of comments on the motorcycledaily website and some of the magazine sites.
I'd love to try one.

I dunno, that's a lot of front end grip. This thing is supposed to be more sporting so should be interesting to see how it handles.

The Niken is heavier, pushes more air, more gyroscopic momentum, more rolling resistance, front end linkage to maintain, bound to cost more than a MT-09, has to have a lower mpg, and limited to 45 degree lean. A major reason to buy it might be a better chance of staying up right when hitting a slick spot in a corner. On the whole, it doesn't look like an improvement for the added complexity over a traditional motorcycle to me. But it's great that Yamaha is doing well enough to risk making this bike.

Last edited:
The concept is not new; the Piaggio MP3 has been around for quite a while and Piaggio even fielded a hybrid gas/electric version. LINKY

The big difference is in Yamaha's use of a "big" bike as a basis. I'd like to ride one. Heck, I'd like to ride one of the MP3's.

Attachments

• 122_0910_02_z+piaggio_mp3_hybrid+left_side_view.jpg
    122_0910_02_z+piaggio_mp3_hybrid+left_side_view.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
How the **** does this make it to US shores but the 700 Tenere still doesn't have a release date here and we have no word if it will come over :/

I think they're trying to bridge the gap between a conventional motorcycle and a Cam Am Spyder. For those that want the added security of a third wheel plus the ability to lean in a corner and keep the motorcycle feel. It might have some appeal to younger riders too but who knows, I can't figure them out no how. :rofl:

I guess I am the odd one. I think it is neat. Although, I may be biased after my unexplained tank slapper at 70mph sent me to the ER and put me out of commission for a few months. ;-) I would have very much liked a second front wheel on that day.

Beyond the massive change of the third wheel it seems like a good sport-touring motorcycle. Seat height, power to weight, a lot of the latest electronic gadgets appeal to me.

I wonder what happens if a rider needs a little more lean to make a corner?

Probably the same thing that happens on a regular motorcycle.... :eek2::rofl:

Seriously though, unless you are racing on a track or way outside of legal parameters on the road, most riders will never find out what 45 degrees of lean feels like.
Unless they just dropped the bike!:lol2:

So maybe I'm late to the party but has anyone seen this?

Apparently being it's released this year and I'm conflicted to be honest. I look at it and wonder what problem were they trying to solve? But to be honest, if I had the chance to try it out, I would probably jump on it and go play, just out of curiosity.

2018 Yamaha NIKEN - Technical video two: LMW - YouTube

Yamaha has always been on the leading edge. Remember when they converted to the monoshock on their YZ's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On Two (Three) Wheels review.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFU0HkIgtYs"]2019 Yamaha NIKEN First Ride Review! - On Two Wheels - YouTube[/ame]

Apparently Yamaha has incorporated the three wheel concept into a smaller package as well. I took this shot from the upper deck of a double decker bus in Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• A48604B0-D99D-4ED4-A3B5-9E13D71BE2F5.jpg
    A48604B0-D99D-4ED4-A3B5-9E13D71BE2F5.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 116
Back