• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-STROM mirror mods

one Wolf

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
James
Has anyone figured out how to change the mirrors on their V-STROM to get a usable image at 40+mph? I'm thinking about how to remove the handle bar mirrors and maybe try to mount after market mirrors on the fairing??

Advice??

Re: V-SROM mirror mods

I like my Napoleon bar end mirrors. Easy to install, excellent rear view, mirror can be installed on either side - no Rt or Lt and when you drop the bike the mirror will save the break or clutch lever from breaking because it sticks out further past the lever on the handle bar.

20009891_jYt9h-M.jpg

20009898_YZaDB-M.jpg

20318810_cVtnv-M.jpg

They sure do look nice. I'm basically trying to get something where vibration doesn't blur the view. Is that working good for you?

They sure do look nice. I'm basically trying to get something where vibration doesn't blur the view. Is that working good for you?

Very little vibration up too 8000rpm / 80 mph. I read somewhere that there is a mirror that has the weighted bar ends which would also cut down on the vibration. I would be very interested in what you decide to go with.

Bill:rider:

I like my Napoleon bar end mirrors. Easy to install, excellent rear view, mirror can be installed on either side - no Rt or Lt and when you drop the bike the mirror will save the break or clutch lever from breaking because it sticks out further past the lever on the handle bar.

20009898_YZaDB-M.jpg

Bill, what brand of GPS is that I see in the second photo? :clap:

I've read in other threads/forums that a major cause of the buffeting that so many of us experience on our Stroms is the stock mirrors. If you had such a problem, did you notice any reduction with the bar-end mirrors?

I have a pair of KTM mirrors and thread adapters on my DL1000. IIRC they were off of a late model super moto. They vibrate less than the stock mirrors. Prior to the KTM mirrors I replaced the stock handlebar with an aluminum bar and noticed a large reduction in vibes immediately.

My stockers don't really vibrate that much but like CT90 said, I'm one of the people that replaced their stock steel bars with ProTaper aluminum ones.

I picked up a pair of Buell round mirrors at the dealer closeout here--stems are a bit longer and the mirrors are better quality--at least compared to my stockers that had developed a bit of haze. They work ok. Lots of Strom riders like the Aprilia Tuono mirrors or the bar end mirrors.

Check Stromtroopers.com: http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,10311.0.html

I have a large Cal-Sci wind screen with Madstad bracket. That did make the mirrors more blurry. Also makes the front wheel get a little light and weavy at, um..., shall we say, deserted road type speeds.

Hadn't thought about aluminum bars. That sure might deaden the shakes.

Tnx All

Bill, what brand of GPS is that I see in the second photo? :clap:

That is the "Tank Top" brand GPS. I recommend Dixon China Marker (Black-thin lead) for your data input. ;-)

=I've read in other threads/forums that a major cause of the buffeting that so many of us experience on our Stroms is the stock mirrors. If you had such a problem, did you notice any reduction with the bar-end mirrors?

The Bar End Mirrors were on the bike when I bought it, so I have no way of comparing the two.

Any one wanting to sell there stock DL 1000 or 650 mirror I need a pair of stock mirrors, What do you want for them shipped in TExas to 79763????
Mike

I've read in other threads/forums that a major cause of the buffeting that so many of us experience on our Stroms is the stock mirrors. If you had such a problem, did you notice any reduction with the bar-end mirrors?

I saw (heard, felt) a HUGE improvement in the wind noise/buffetting when I switched to bar end mirrors. The one I used only cost $16 a pair with free shipping on e-Bay.
IMGP2948.jpg

IMGP2741.jpg

I moved my mirrors out about 2&1/2 inches with a small flat plate and a couple of nuts,, This help out my helmet buffing, Not real sure you can see how far I moved out the mirrors in this picture...
Just got the national cycle windscreen have not tried it out yet , To many irons on the fire, But soon....
generalbikes034.jpg

I moved my mirrors out about 2&1/2 inches with a small flat plate and a couple of nuts,, This help out my helmet buffing, Not real sure you can see how far I moved out the mirrors in this picture...
Just got the national cycle windscreen have not tried it out yet , To many irons on the fire, But soon....
generalbikes034.jpg

Mike, do you get any additional vibration in the mirrors from extension?

thanks

Mike, another one

Hmmm... weird. I never noticed like ANY vibration on my mirrors.

I am not trying to be a ******** or something but - is your bike excessively vibrating for some other reasons?

I saw a few threads on Stromtrooper about replacing mirrors to reduce buffeting (Touno mirrors are popular too for that) but vibes... I can't really recall seeing that and I know I see none of it. Strange...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, My 1000 is very smooth, I have never had a problem with vibration in the mirrors, Nowboth my KLR's are another story.... :yawn:
Mike

thanks guys--I have some minor vibration on the Wee with either the stock mirror or the Buells. Could be the age old buffeting issues all DLs seem to have. I just installed a new windshield and am playing with the Madstad settings.

I was wondering if adding the strap metal extensions caused any problems--adding a lever like that might increase any vibes that were already there.

Paul at M & P cycle design has this bike on his web site. ( He makes some great vstrom shields by the way.) I bet he could tell you what these mirrors are. This strom has had the ST treatment, pretty cool. I am looking for some DL 1000 mirrors because the stockers are just not working very well and they will not stay in place. But I do not think the fairing mounts are what I want either. But here's one solution going the fairing mount route.

index24.jpg

Paul at M & P cycle design has this bike on his web site. ( He makes some great vstrom shields by the way.) I bet he could tell you what these mirrors are. This strom has had the ST treatment, pretty cool. I am looking for some DL 1000 mirrors because the stockers are just not working very well and they will not stay in place. But I do not think the fairing mounts are what I want either. But here's one solution going the fairing mount route.

index24.jpg

I contacted Paul about his mirrors. He welded up extensions to the subframe to support the mirrors. Several Strommers who have fairing mounted their mirrors without doing this have experienced cracked fairings in very short order.

For a while, I was running Aprillia Tuono mirrors. (The same morrors that BMW uses on the F650/800GS, except BMW charges over $100 each for them!) The only cost about $20 each from any Aprillia dealer. They give a very good image with no vibratiion and they clear your soulders better than the OEM Strom mirrors. They don't, however, solve any buffetting issues like the bar end mirrors do.
P1030703.jpg

Back