• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where do people find the cheap bikes?

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
So I have been looking around on craigslist for a sub $1000 (actually closer to $500) bike for my 15 yr old daughter to learn to ride on.
A street legal (or able to be street legal) bike, 500cc or less. Cosmetic not important, just something that works. No real preference for street, cruiser, dual sport etc.

Everything I find for <$1000 is a parts bike or "project" bike. Or no/lost title, flooded or just sketchy overall.
Maybe is it just around Houston it is like this. I have searched areas within 200 miles of me though.
I could handle something that just needs some basic work (carb work or tires or such), but not something that needs a rebuild.
Things I look at (the Rebel 250, Suzuki TU/GZ etc) are $2000+, even for 20 year old bikes.

I always hear about the great deals people find, but not sure where they find them. I don't really know where else to look besides craigslist and cycle-trader (way overpriced). Any other suggestions?

I have seen a few good deals for sale here, but at the time I was not really looking to buy, but nothing lately, is it just the time of year?

This is something of what I am looking for, just not that big.
Or should I buy this, fix and flip it :)?

I'm not sure you're going to find much in that range outside of a buddy deal. With that said a couple of guys here have posted up "I want a ... and am willing to pay $..." and ended up with a deal. It's worth trying.

Most people doing the Craigslist thing search for what they are selling and price it where others seem to. They don't actually research what it "should" be worth.

That being the case....if everyone seems to ask $1500 for a running bike, people start thinking theirs is worth that.

I'd suggest finding ads that are 3 weeks old or more and offering what you think they are worth. Some will ignore you but others will take it.

Having said that, a bike that runs and passes inspection is probably worth $500 minimum. If it's decent looking or capable at all, it's probably worth $800 to $1000.

If you’re looking for something just for her to dip her toe in the water you could probably get some kind of Chinese scooter for $500. It’s at least let her get the feel of balancing and using the throttle. It wouldn’t be a long term option, but I don’t think anything you could get for that price would be. Once she gets comfortable in that and has a good amount of seat time you could start looking for a “real” starter bike.

I don't think I've seen a street worthy bike for less than $1500 in a very long time. Most are at least $2500. They may be out there, but everything I've seen in that range needs serious parts, repairs or maintenance.

Frankly, in that price range these days, your best chance may be to pick up a street-legal dirt bike with a lost title. Whatever you pay for the bike, though, factor in about $125 extra to cover the bonding fee + assorted state fees. If you have a buddy who can run the VIN first, the risk isn't really high, since that's exactly what the bonding company will do. If the bike later turns up on a stolen list, it's the bonding company's problem, not yours. Just be prepared to spend all day walking the red tape.

I don't think I've seen a street worthy bike for less than $1500 in a very long time. Most are at least $2500. They may be out there, but everything I've seen in that range needs serious parts, repairs or maintenance.

This! To find something under $2500 that is street legal, in any size, and not in need of serious work is pretty rare, even with crappy cosmetics. You might find a few dual sport type bikes in that range, but they will likely be too tall. I would focus on finding some kind of dirt bike in the 125-250cc range and let her learn on that. Stay OFF the streets for now. Then, if she has an aptitude for riding and likes it, you might be more inclined to spend a bit more for a decent street legal bike.

Send thebigman a pm about the bike he recently got back. It's a Honda Trail 110 (I think) and he was wanting to sell it. It's street legal and he has a title for it. It's a perfect bike to learn on with the exception that it doesn't have a manual clutch.

So I have been looking around on craigslist for a sub $1000 (actually closer to $500) bike for my 15 yr old daughter to learn to ride on.
A street legal (or able to be street legal) bike, 500cc or less. Cosmetic not important, just something that works. No real preference for street, cruiser, dual sport etc.

Everything I find for <$1000 is a parts bike or "project" bike. Or no/lost title, flooded or just sketchy overall.
Maybe is it just around Houston it is like this. I have searched areas within 200 miles of me though.
I could handle something that just needs some basic work (carb work or tires or such), but not something that needs a rebuild.
Things I look at (the Rebel 250, Suzuki TU/GZ etc) are $2000+, even for 20 year old bikes.

I always hear about the great deals people find, but not sure where they find them. I don't really know where else to look besides craigslist and cycle-trader (way overpriced). Any other suggestions?

> > > > PM sent to you < < < < <

I have seen a few good deals for sale here, but at the time I was not really looking to buy, but nothing lately, is it just the time of year?

This is something of what I am looking for, just not that big.
Or should I buy this, fix and flip it :)?

How about a Suzuki 650 Savage? I think I might know where one is with that might just fit your requirements. I believe it has between 1500-1800 miles on it. The fellow got it in trade and just put it in the garage and left it. It is nice shape, just set up for a while. I rode it down the block and it did well. I will call him tonight and check up on it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you're going to find much in that range outside of a buddy deal. With that said a couple of guys here have posted up "I want a ... and am willing to pay $..." and ended up with a deal. It's worth trying.
I guess I am looking for the buddy deal, but not from a buddy. :mrgreen:

I am still in the "just window shopping phase" right now, unless I find a really good deal.
When I get to the actual point of needing to buy, I may post up here then...

I'd suggest finding ads that are 3 weeks old or more and offering what you think they are worth. Some will ignore you but others will take it.

That is what I did when I found my Shadow. Got it for $500 less than he was asking.

Guess there is no harm is going low if I find something...

If you’re looking for something just for her to dip her toe in the water you could probably get some kind of Chinese scooter for $500. It’s at least let her get the feel of balancing and using the throttle....
I would rather not have her learn "wrong" on a scooter (don't want her getting used to grabbing the rear brake with left hand or not pulling in the clutch when stopping).
If she starts on a scooter, I would rather her stay on a scooter. Which may be an option.

Frankly, in that price range these days, your best chance may be to pick up a street-legal dirt bike with a lost title. Whatever you pay for the bike, though, factor in about $125 extra to cover the bonding fee + assorted state fees. ... Just be prepared to spend all day walking the red tape.
Don't want to mess with lost or missing titles, specifically because of the theft and extra cost issues.

That’s gotta be a scam.
I agree, same bike is listed here in Houston...

https://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/magna-1100cc-v65/6662633074.html

and San Antonio...

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1100cc-honda-magna-85/6662583305.html

That is something I would like...

Seems Austin has a lot more deals than Houston.

Also found this one:

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/73-honda-cb-550cc/6662666945.html

almost something I would want for myself.

How about a Suzuki 650 Savage? I think I might know where one is with that might just fit your requirements. I believe it has between 1500-1800 miles on it. The fellow got it in trade and just put it in the garage and left it. It is nice shape, just set up for a while. I rode it down the block and it did well. I will call him tonight and check up on it.
A 650 i a little bigger than what I am looking for, although the Savage does not have that much power, and is not all that heavy.
If you would PM me info if you get it, that would be great.

I will probably just wait out till we do the MSF basic course and let her decide on their bikes if she really wants to do it.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
PM Sent.

This bike is like sitting on a bicycle. Skinny, light, small. About like riding a 250 Rebel.

I sold a low mileage Yamaha V-Star 250 about a year ago. My wife and son learned to ride on that little bike. Very user friendly, light, not too powerful and low seat height allow shorter folks to easily reach the ground. I highly recommend this bike for true beginners, especially women.

I was effectively flipping bikes for about 2 years in Austin. Takeaways:

-If it runs at all, I put base value at around $1k. It has to be pretty rough for me to see a bike for less than that.

-Austin craigslist is cheaper for everything but dirtbikes and older japanese stuff. Those are cheaper in Dallas and Houston. There's no dirt scene here in Austin, and the older Japanese stuff is popular here amongst the hipster crowd (myself included).

-VIN checks are cheap, a bonded title is honestly minimal trouble, and if it's old enough you can Vermont title it. Especially if this is going to be a "learn to wrench" bike.

- Being in the window shopping phase is great. Hold your cards as long as you can stand it. Prices dip with the first couple of cold snaps, bottoms in about January/February. If you need something before then, look for older ads.

-Remember that nobody's prices are firm. If they are, they're not going to be fun to do business with anyway.

-Watch out for stick on carbon fiber stickers. This is the most reliable predictor of whether a bike has been abused.

Whether or not the ad is otherwise legit, the only problem with the logo is that the picture got flipped. It should look like this.

Attachments

• 550.jpg
    550.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 226
I have a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk. I know, you wanted something smaller cc wise, but do the research, this thing is as smooth as silk and tame as a kitten. It was my wife's and has about 33K on it. Its been sitting for about 3 years in the back of my shop. I have not checked the fuel in it but most certainly its bad. I did drain the carbs years ago but have no idea if for sure they are okay. It will also need a battery and has a fork seal leak. I have the fork seals, the leak wasn't real bad, but enough to notice when it was last rode. It is a beautiful Honda Tahitian Blue and has no real cosmetic issues. It also has a small clear wind shield. The tires, brakes and chain are all good. The tach has never worked and seems to be a Honda defect that is repairable (broken wire inside) is someone was handy enough to take it on.

$1000 as is or $1900 running. I have a clear Oklahoma title and can send pics via email or text if you like. I even still have all of the wife's riding gear.

Look for older Ninja 250's. Great starter bikes and can be had for what you are wanting to spend.

Whether or not the ad is otherwise legit, the only problem with the logo is that the picture got flipped. It should look like this.

Right you are. The Austin Vintage Moto guys found the same picture on a couple dozen different craigslists.

Also, I think the days of really cheap bikes on CL are gone. There is no means of searching what bikes are selling for in CL only listed. In the end its only worth what someone will pay. The issues is the raising cost of new bikes. It tends to make the used ones worth more. KBB and NADA don't reflect that much.

Currently cleaning up a couple of used dirt bikes to sell for a new purchase. Hard to price what they are worth, but if what folks are asking on CL is any indication with a bit of polish, a few bucks in inexpensive cosmetic parts, and removal of aftermarket parts for separate sale I maybe able to come out nicely with the new purchase.

Back