• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

:welcome: & enjoy!

Long ago when nothing much was out there, we rode bicycles in that region (about Venus), now today I'll be riding through the area, going to slack (is is slacking if you don't have to be somewhere else?).

Welcome. A lot of people with motorcycles haven't covered as many miles in 5 years (or maybe in a lifetime) as you have on your bicycles.

You'll love the AT; it's a great bike, by all accounts. Please accept some advice-to-rookies. Take your time getting used to riding and mastering the basic skillsets. And as you do so, don't outride your skills.

And you live in a great area to get acquainted with riding. As you say, lots of nice backroads around you. I spend a lot of sunny afternoons wandering around south of Mansfield, and it would seem that all roads lead to Maypearl.

By the way, there are quite a few TWTers who live down your way, and they'll introduce themselves soon enough. Also, we have a group that unfortunately hasn't met much this year. It's a small group mostly made up of people from south Arlington, Mansfield, etc, who occasionally get together on a weekday evening or Saturday afternoon to eat, talk, eat some more, and maybe squeeze in a little riding together. Add yourself to the link below, and you'll get notifications whenever the thread is active.

What tires are on the AT?

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104880&highlight=plex

Ah, your basic 80/20 adventure tire. Tires are like presidents; everybody has an opinion about them. About all I can tell you for now is that you'll have to make an obvious choice about tire bias ---- street or dirt. Street-biased (like your Dunlops) are more comfortable on the road, and last longer. And they'll get you down a fairly pitted dirt or gravel road, where a pure street tire would leave you wrong side up in a hurry. Dirt-biased knobbies will give you a lot more control & confidence off the pavement, but they'll buzz you to death on the highway and you'll burn them up a lot faster. My only recommendation is that, for now, you do nothing until you've ridden a few thousand miles - at least the life of this tire set - and start figuring out what your prevalent riding is going to be.

As for tube vs tubeless, there are guys with vastly more dirt experience than I, who will give you sound advice. I'm not even an 80/20 rider, more like a 99.5/.5 rider. Next month I'm headed to Arizona. Out of 3,000 miles riding, we plan about 25 total miles of dirt road. No knobbies or tubes for this pavement-oriented Texas boy.

Welcome to the club, i hope you can find a few local riders to ride with, it is so much more fun (and safer) when you ride in a group with others of a similar level..

Gary

Welcome to the TWT family. Do you plan on camping off the motorcycle also? We try to do that here on TWT also. KP

Jarrett,

Do you have some time tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday to ride a for a couple hours?
I'd like to see some of these back roads around Maypearl you described.

I live in Granbury and like to explore new areas.

Just returned from a 3 day jaunt through east Texas. Headed out Monday morning from Godley and would through CR1108 and 916 from Cleburne to Rio Vista. Great country.

Last edited:
Heck, if he can do it Friday, I might be able to join as I live about 15 minutes from Maypearl. (closer to Dallas though, suburbia and all)

Looks like we have the makings of a slacker ride ...

What did you have in mind, Mitch? I'm new and pretty slow as well.

Find a road and see where it leads, basically.

I just suggested today/tomorrow because I'm off work.
If saturday or Sunday is better timing, I'm good.

By definition a "slacker ride" is one where all worldly responsibilities are shirked in favor of riding. So a weekend ride rarely falls into that category.

and ... FWIW ... I'm old and slow. So we should get along famously.

:chug:

Hey Jarrett,

Welcome, I live up offa Butcher rd. on the north side of 'hachie. Lots of good info on this site. And lots of welcoming people.

I have a tire changer if you're ever in need.

Awesome ... see you there at 1700.
Let me send you my contact info.

I'll leave Granbury around 1530.

Hey I'm relatively new here myself. I live in West and ride northern McLennan and southern Hill counties and Whitney lake. Just got a larger bike running (KLR650) and working on a XT250 for my son. His KE100 just won't keep up. Also ride a jet ski alot on nearby lakes and rivers in the summer.

Keeping an eye on this site for rides in this area. Hope to meet up sometime.

I live in West and ride northern McLennan and southern Hill counties and Whitney lake.

Howdy! ... rode through West yesterday.

You'll probably get more looks and responses if you start a new introduction thread.

What a great ride!
Great meeting you.

Didn't know those kinds of roads existed out there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back