Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #21
SilverBullet

Re: TWT will be offline 12/21/18 10:00pm CST - 12/23/18 10:00pm CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingJ View Post
I am absolutely done with tapatalk. Yesterday I was bombarded with banner ads in the posts. I love thier gui and ease of use, but I'm not going to stand for that.
Tapatalk is great. One app with a gateway page showing all the forum websites you visit. It also has the most user friendly photo hosting I've found. All photos I take are with my cell phone so easy click photo embeding is slick.

If you don't like the ads upgrade the version of Tapatalk app to remove them. Only $1 month, $5 year or $15 for lifetime.

If the new TWT site doesn't keep a Tapatalk interface I for one will find myself visiting here much less.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #22
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
and here is what it looks like if you click the triple bar option thing in the upper left corner.
It's typically referred to as a Hamburger button, or more formally as a Collapsed Menu button.

At least the above is true within my organization.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
Dahveed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Tapatalk is great. One app with a gateway page showing all the forum websites you visit. It also has the most user friendly photo hosting I've found. All photos I take are with my cell phone so easy click photo embeding is slick.

If you don't like the ads upgrade the version of Tapatalk app to remove them. Only $1 month, $5 year or $15 for lifetime.
I'll definitely agree about the photo sharing. They make it way easier.

Is it perfect? Far from it, but it is good at somethings.

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
misterk
Forum Supporter

I hit all the forums I follow through tapatalk, there is one that is not on tapatalk, I do frequent that forum much less. Pictures are easy with tapatalk.

Scott can probably see what percentage of TWT uses tapatalk. If it is a small %, then probably no affect on future traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
misterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
South Tex
Forum Supporter

I just like the app way (tapatalk) since it’s right there on my home page. I don’t have to look it up on safari. So I guess I’m lazy. Fingers crossed it will be even better than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
South Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
aspr

I use my phone for 90% of all my interweb stuffs. Tapatalk is just convenient. This is the only forum I'm active on though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

With the new software, you will be able to upload images directly from your phone to the site. No need to resize them. They will be resized on the fly as they upload. Attachments will also be much larger than they are now. Instead of 640 X 480, they will be 1600 X 1200.

As many of you have seen, if you are using Tapatalk, I have no control over the content they insert between the forum and you. Apparently, I don't get reimbursed for the advertising either. And this is after they explicitly told me there would be no ads on my site that I did not control. So right now, I am not real happy with them.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #28
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

I hope folks will give the new platform/ software/whatever it is--an honest try before writing TWT off.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #29
Crew Chief

The super Tenere forum uses the new software and is available via tapatalk. It sounds like that may be something that Scott has to implement to have happen.

Interestingly, I just looked at the forums that I have loaded to work with Tapatalk. They include This one, the Super Tenere forum and ADV Rider. ADV rider has blank spaces in the threads that say "sponsored" but no ads. At least it did. I went to take a second look and they aren't there now. The other two forums both have ads. There is a three button menu choice in those ads and in the blank space. When I click it it says "This is an advertisement placed by Tapatalk and supplied by various ad companies. Proceeds from the ads are shared with the sites you visit on Tapatalk." Then there are options to "cancel" (closes the context menu) or "remove ads". The remove ads gives upgrade options. I tried to take a screen shot, but I don't think the phone will do it with the context menu open.

Edit: I would ad that most browsers have some type of a "quick dial" feature that allows easy indexing of commonly used pages. With the Firefox browser, it's very similar to the front page of Tapatalk.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-10-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #30
Dahveed

While I find Tapatalk frustrating to use occasionally (mainly after they update their app) it still is an easy way to upload photos. For example, I just wrote a post on my computer and then opened it on tapatalk to add a photo.

But with the new software being implemented by TWT, maybe I won't have to mess with tapatalk in the future.

While I'm a member of a couple of forums, this is the only one I use. I can't imagine the new software being so challenging to use that I would stop using TWT.

Plus, I'll just take some coconut oil and then I'll be able to focus on it and figure it out...

The DFW Area DS Road Map
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #31
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
The other two forums both have ads. There is a three button menu choice in those ads and in the blank space. When I click it it says "This is an advertisement placed by Tapatalk and supplied by various ad companies. Proceeds from the ads are shared with the sites you visit on Tapatalk." [emphasis added]
I don't know how long they have been showing the ads, but as I said earlier, I have not seen ANY money from them... EVER.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #32
Crew Chief

Quote:
I don't know how long they have been showing the ads, but as I said earlier, I have not seen ANY money from them... EVER.
Yep. That'd why I thought it was interesting and I posted it. Maybe call him and see where the check is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #33
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Speaking of promised Revenue, do you still see some contributions from the Amazon program.. I just made another purchase that should benefit TWT (Water filter housing). I know you have answered this before. Just a reminder for twt Amazon shopers.

Just set this as the entry point as a home page quick link for Amazon (name it TWT Amazon) and use every time you shop amazon. Any purchases should see a small % paid to TWT

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=twowhetex-20
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #34
Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post

If the new TWT site doesn't keep a Tapatalk interface I for one will find myself visiting here much less.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
I'm on a lot of forums. I paid the 15 dollars and it was worth every penny.

Also site down?!?!?!

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

03 TW200

08 MazdaSpeed3
Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #35
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

My biggest gripe about Tapatalk is that I have pretty much zero control over what is displayed or how it is displayed. I have TT Pro on my iPhone and use it when accessing the forum. I've never seen any ads, which is why I had no idea they were being displayed. Unfortunately, people that view the site via TT may not realize this and may form opinions about TWT and how they think I am running things when in fact I have nothing to do with it.

I totally agree that uploading images via TT is convenient. IF that is a big reason why any of you use it, I hope you will try the new software once we switch. I think you will see that it is pretty easy to use as well, much more that the current software.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #36
LaserDave
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
I hope folks will give the new platform/ software/whatever it is--an honest try before writing TWT off.
HA! It will take more than that to kill this rare oasis in a sea of effluvia.
Best of luck, as a site I admin on had to take an Invision upgrade, that turned out to be a huge downgrade.

And as I steadfastly use a Pantech Breeze flip-phone, I could give a rats patootie about any steenking apps.
2004 KTM SX450 (Orange Crush)
1996 SeaDooSPI (Funky Guppy)
past bikes WAAAAAAY too numerous to list.
LaserDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #37
Centex
Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Re: TWT will be offline 12/21/18 10:00pm CST - 12/23/18 10:00pm CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
Being an optimist I think that most here (I'm certain you, Gina) recognize that what makes TWT great, and what will keep them involved, is Scott, the Admins and the members.

So the 'house' is getting a fresh coat of paint to make Scott's house-keeping easier (and from most accounts, a bit easier for 'visitors', too). I say good-o for Scott, I'll gladly suffer a few days waiting for the paint to dry, and look forward to returning - to keep in touch with the people - whatever the house looks like.

(Thanks, as always, for providing the 'house' and letting us visit, Scott )
2001 M750
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #38
William Wolfen

I have a suggestion for you guys complaining about the tapatalk updates: Use an older version. At least that's what I do on my android phone. APKs are available for pretty much any version you want. I didn't like it when they did away with pages and made a post one giant scrolling list, so I reverted back. I think I'm running a version (7.0.4) that's over a year old now!

Scott, I hope the transition goes well. I also hope the new software makes it easier on the back end. I know how much of a mess that can be!