• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is it possible to ride SHNF with a DR650?

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Doughtie
I was thinking about going to SHNF when the weather cooled down, but currently I only have a DR650 and CR450. I haven't been offroad in 3 yrs and would like to try it after some health problems during those years.

Yes to some extent. If really dry sand would be miserable to me. Plus the endless whoops. but guys do it.

I think that they are saying "don't" in a long winded way:giveup:

I've done it in my 450, was not too bad. The lighter the bike, the more fun you'll have.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm pushing 60, so I thought I would ask guys that were more familiar with the trails. I figured the CR450 would be too high strung, even if it's lighter and more manueverable. Hasn't been ridden in over 3 yrs, so maybe I'll put a heavy flywheel weight on and try it. That and get someone to go that has patience.

Make sure you have a spark arrestor on that CR450 also. You may get away with not having one; but if you get caught, it'll cost you. It's possible to do the trails on a DR. It would be a workout and you'll probably sleep well that night.

Last edited:
Take the dr650 and just take it easy and have fun. Take plenty of water and a map or a guide and you will be fine. If it’s tagged you can always hop of the trail onto the road and ride back to the trail head.

What's possible and what's fun can be very different!

I do have a spark arrestor on both bikes. The DR has stiffer springs, bash plate, and hand guards. I rode a rented DR in Colorado on rocky, 1st gear trails and it did better than I expected. Of course, SHNF is a different animal from what I remember years ago. I'm re-springing the CR to make it softer and I can always throw on handguards and a flywheel weight. I just want to take a leisure ride and test myself and see how I do. I also don't want to be a burden on someone else if I can't go all the way.

What's possible and what's fun can be very different!

So true. My SHNF story and there is only one. I trucked my Suzuki DR 350 there years ago, as I was unloading it a guy walked by, looked, and asked me how many blinkers I was planning to break off. Didn't think too much of the comment until I hit the first trail. I never got out of first gear due to the sand and tight trail and of course I fell once and broke a blinker. It was possible, but it was not fun.

I watched a guy head in one day on a BMW GS1200, saw him heading back out before I got my bike out of the back of the truck he was shaking his head and looked kind of pale

I rode a klr 600 everywhere that you could ride in the forest years ago , I didn't know any better , it handled it well . And there were a lot better trails there 30 years ago then there are now . Took a 450 exc KTM out there a few years back and was bored very quickly , just got back from almost six weeks in Colorado and Wyoming with my 450 Beta and a 950 KTM . The off road riding that suits me is a little more interesting than what's close around here .

It is what we have. Can't run to CO. every couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yes to some extent. If really dry sand would be miserable to me. Plus the endless whoops. but guys do it.

I'd say this... ^^^^ If you were going to ride around on the road all day the DR650 would work. Even with springs, bash plate, etc.... the old heavy DR will still be a workout.

I would think getting suspension working good for the conditions on the CR450 and maybe taming it down a little on the motor (FWW or maybe even a G2 throttle cam setup). I'd bet it would be easier and faster on a 250 4 stroke with decent suspension. Riding a 450 is a workout in general unless its just a super open and flat place.

Casey (gotdurt on here) and his friend Tony. Casey on a DR650 and Tony on a KLR650. Not average riders though. [ame="https://youtu.be/00OyGvdIevc"]KLR650 and DR650 in SHNF - YouTube[/ame]

I've ridden with Casey, definitely not your average rider. Like the guys who run the big adv bikes hard.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Back