• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looks like I’m diving back in

Reaction score
I’m a lifelong dirt bike rider. I started younger than I can remember. I took up racing cross country in 8th grade and continued on into college. About ten years ago life got in the way and my riding got really sporadic. I was only getting out a few times a year at most. I haven’t ridden at all in the last five years or so.

That’s about to change, though. A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to get my YZ ready to either ride or sell. There’s no point keeping a perfectly good two stroke stashed away in a garage. I gave it a good washing, put in a new air filter (to replace the one that disintegrated when I tried to take it out to clean it) drained out the old fuel that I’m sure was horrible, and replaced the rock hard and cracked fuel line.

I hadn’t decided what I was going to do with it until I was having dinner with my dad Thursday night and he pitched the idea of riding an enduro with him in Callisburg the middle of next month. I jumped at the idea. I hadn’t really realized how much I’ve missed riding until I started messing with the bike.

I’ve still got a couple of things left to do with the bike, and I’ve got to buy some new gear. I’m pretty excited about getting back on the thing again, though.

Awesome story and you get to experience it with your Pop.
Best years of my life were spending adult time with my Dad.

That's a great story. Hope y'all enjoy it.

One of my favorite things about getting into riding motorcycles is that I get to share it with my daughter.

We're going to go ride a bit later this morning. And we're planning a weekend trip to ride somewhere in the not so distant future. I suspect it will involve Leakey, she's always wanted to check that area out.

Very nice.... you got Red River right near there too. Can't beat a Yamaha two stroke!

Good deal.... what year is the YZ? I hope to make that one as well with my wife! We will likely both be riding. Hoping to get a little seat time. I think the last time I rode was May. Its been hot and I have been slaving away on flooring and house projects to fill my spare weekends. Looking forward to it.

Make sure to post a few pics of the bike once you get it squared away so we can enjoy it also.:photo: Have a sweet ride with your dad.

Yay for two strokes!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good deal.... what year is the YZ? I hope to make that one as well with my wife! We will likely both be riding. Hoping to get a little seat time. I think the last time I rode was May. Its been hot and I have been slaving away on flooring and house projects to fill my spare weekends. Looking forward to it.

My YZ is a 2001. I’ll probably be on the oldest bike there, but I bet I have just as much fun as anybody else.

My YZ is a 2001. I’ll probably be on the oldest bike there, but I bet I have just as much fun as anybody else.

Nope... my wife is currently on a 99 125exc. Seen many older than those. Those early 2K steel framed ones were pretty good bikes. A buddy of mine had the same year and he could go like stink on them. Never owned one, but wanted one back in the day. There is a guy that frequents Barnwell that has 2 of that vintage that are both sweet looking. Its my understanding both were CL fixer upper bikes.

Also, I love that you can add the "restyle" kits for those. Basically Yamaha has not changed the mounting location of the plastics for a long time so a lot of the newer plastic fits, though the kits might have specific stuff in them. Don't know for sure, but have seen them on the steel framed ones.

Just give it love and replace the wearable parts on it. Its more fun to ride it than bring it to hours someplace and work on it. Let alone tow it back to the truck Been there and done that as well as seen folks do it. :sun: :rider:

Chad Reed even prefers the steel frame bike

I haven’t ridden anything newer for more than a minute or so, so even if it is horribly dated I won’t realize what I’m missing.

Well...the race was postponed due to rain and took place yesterday. I took off on the first stage and tried to go way too hard out of the gate. I was gassed in short order. My eyes and brain recognized what I should be doing, but I didn’t have the endurance or confidence to do much of it. Arm pump was a huge problem early on.

I paced myself much better on the second stage and did a better job of riding within my diminished skill level. I was slow, but it felt much smoother and like I actually found some rhythm. Once stage two was over my shoulders were killing me, particularly the left one. I didn’t know why, but later figured it out.

Stage three was the easiest one to that point. There was some more open stuff that gave me a breather between the tight sections. Stuff started coming back to me a little bit and I got a bit more confident. Unfortunately I was also getting physically exhausted. By the end of the stage I was getting pretty lazy and sloppy.

I called it quits after stage three, figuring I better quit before I got myself hurt. It wasn’t until I was rolling up to the trailer that I realized why my shoulders hurt so bad. My forearms were used up so early I was basically using my whole arms to pull the levers in. Between the mud and my poor riding ability I was slipping the clutch a ton, and had just about used up my left shoulder as well.

From what the other guys said the fourth stage was the toughest terrain wise. I’m pretty glad I pulled the pin when I did.

I didn’t get hurt and I had a lot of fun, so I consider it a success. I’m a bit torn...I’d like to get back into riding more frequently, but I fear that if I do I’ll want a more modern bike.

Glad you had a great time, memories of this will last a lifetime!

It's a great start!

If you decide to get a newer bike, I know a home who would love a yz250

Last edited:
That is an awesome story and experience. I've ridden off road with my dad plenty of times and those are some of the best memories I have with him. We were riding older bikes, nothing state of the art, but fun and functional. If your not racing, the only reason to get a new bike is cause you want one. And I'm certainly guilty of wants over needs.

Back