• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

One of the things I did that you may want to check with the expert ntklr650 was the Thermo bob. Just keeps the temp at one spot instead of cool at speed and boiling in gridlock. With only 3 gauges to stare at, it kinda freaked me out in south Texas heat in San Antonio traffic

Awesome, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy to see it's going so well so soon.

I guess Jarrett paid close attention to our conversation on the Hotel steps in Glenwood and made the correct decision.:nana:

Yeah, I guess I don't get low skill low knowledge riders like you do. Mic drop. :lol2: But seriously folks...

That's good to know. I've also heard that you can tip the bike over to the left dumping fuel from one side of the tank to the other to get a few more miles out of reserve. Not sure if its true, but just what I heard.

This is totally true. I have always run IMS tanks so I can't speak for stock tanks but it has gotten me out of a bind before.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Where are we at Jarrett? No updates in 2 days....... How's things going.

What farkle are you adding. Fun stuff, glad it's working out. I say take the KLR'er and get her broke in.

If you want to put a pep in the step, I'd re jet it. I know on the DR650, the bigger jets and the FMF Q4 woke that thing up!

There was a guy named Scott on here that had one. He went with I think a 16 tooth front sprocket, he'd rode the dog out of that KLR! It helped him run single track in first without having to shift as much.

I went the opposite and went down to a 14 tooth on the DR. Lower hwy speed, but 1st and 2nd gears pulled hard.

I've got 3-4 trips coming up and trying to decide if I want to take the KLR or AT.

:tab :lol2: This will only get worse... ;-) This is why my riding buddies and I started taking a big bike and a small bike on our trips. That way we can do a bit of both types of riding. Of course, it means trailering everywhere we go, but given that we usually have a LOT of BORING Texas miles to do before we are even half way to our destination, we don't mind that. Besides, it saves on tire wear so the tires are better for what we really want to ride.

Which hand guards did you get? I put bar end weights for more highway use so haven’t found hand guards yet

When I got into motorcycles I thought I would be riding them every where I went, but quickly realizing that due to time and energy that its must nicer to trailer them to where you really want to ride versus burning yourself out on the the way there. Maybe that will change as I get more miles under my belt.

:tab I don't get to do road trips on the bikes where I just load up the bike and take off. I just don't have that kind of time anymore between kids and work. When I first started riding, I rode all over the place all the time. If I went solo or just with my wife, we rode. However, if we had a group of 4-5 people, we'd often trailer. We saw no point in using up a good chunk of our tires just trying to get to the fun stuff outside of Texas. As you mention, it also let us stay fresher for riding the stuff we really wanted to ride and then avoid the long drone home at the end of the trip once we were all tired.

:tab If I were able to go on a nice road trip for several weeks, it would be on my 1200 GS, without a doubt. A big road Between your AT and KLR...? I know folks have ridden KLRs around the world. For that kind of trip, I just might still take a KLR because they are so freaking basic and simple to work on, which is nice when you are out in the middle of nowhere. If I were going to do the CDR or TAT, I'd still probably take the KLR over the AT. The KLR just has that indescribable "something" about it :shrug: I really need to snag some seat time on an AT and see what it is like compared to my GS. I'd also like to snag some time on a KTM 1090 R.

I don't know if anything would have been different had I been riding the AT. I assume not, but will never know for sure...

Per what you typed, dollar to a donut the AT's traction control would have saved your bacon. Your front tire didn't slide under your rear tire slide out. Any modern TCS would engage and prevent that.

_

Per what you typed, dollar to a donut the AT's traction control would have saved your bacon. Your front tire didn't slide under your rear tire slide out. Any modern TCS would engage and prevent that.

_

Standing may have helped as well. Approach wooden bridges like off-road obstacles, especially wet ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standing up keeps a bike from falling out from under you?

Yes, as the bike has greater maneuverability when standing on the pegs. The uneven and inconsistent surface of a wooden bridge is best approach with butt off the seat and knees slightly pressed against the tank. This lets the bike "float" across the obstacle and gives the rider more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Encountered an off at about 15mph (it seemed to happen pretty fast like you said) on rock surface and was amazed at the protection, hardly felt it. Glad everything's well and had a successful ejection from the bike. (VS snapped tib/fib, ankle)

You may have noticed a few cattle guards in your adventures, these should also be treated with respect with a heavy (435-450 lb klr ain't exactly light). Damp morning or wet steel bars will be slick like those boards . On a curve with a cattle guard , I am careful to slow quickly and straighten my bike as close to vertical as possible. There are several on these hillcountry rides, right on tight turns, which I have come to respect.

Thanks for the reminder Jarrett :thumb:

Last edited:
It's tough to believe that standing would have changed the outcome of this situation.

Because 36mph is pretty quick. Hard to intervene at those speeds. One of those "you had to be there" moments for sure.

Back