• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayer for Zac Chapman - family needs help

Thursday update:

Zac's temp was 98.8 today. He needed help from the vent to be able to breathe. They had to remove his pic line in his right arm to rule out infection. Because of this, they put an IV in his left arm.

Jenny and Julia leave bright and early tomorrow morning for VA. She hopes to use the computer at the hotel to make updates.

Friday Sep. 4 updates:

Zac has had a rough day today. He has gone through 2 procedures. The first one was to put in a filter that is above his heart to prevent blood clots that were found in his right arm after his pic line was removed from traveling to places we don't want them to go. The ventricular drain that was in the right side of his head was not draining for some reason. They removed this one and put one in on the left side.

Zac is not breathing on his own today, the vent is doing it all. The movements that are in his legs are not purposeful movements, they are only reflex movements. This is one of those hard updates to give. Please everyone pray for Zac. He is in such need of prayer. I will try to get to a computer tomorrow to give another update. Love to you all...

Updates from Saturday night Sep. 5:

Sitting here in the room with Zac and borrowing Alannah's laptop to give you an update. His temp is 99.5 with a fan blowing on him. The vent is set at 12 and he is not breathing any above the vent. He is having to endure the company of three women today! Poor thing, this may be overstimulation for him. Ha-ha. There is not much to report as far as changes. Keep the prayers coming for a miracle healing from God!!!!!!

The neurosurgeon has said that they may not put the shunt in now. Zac's pressures in the brain are low and there may be no need for the shunt. The team of Dr's make "grand rounds" on Tues. mornings and maybe a decision will be reached then about the shunt. If this is the case, then when Zac is stable enough, he could come to Texas to the LTAC in Ft. Worth.

The three of us (Alannah, Julia, and I) told Zac that he was pretty much a "couch potato" today, and that tomorrow he needs to show us some breathing above the vent. Today, the vent did all of his breathing for him. His temp was 99.7 when I left the hospital. Again, it seems to be a waiting game. I think it would be great if Zac does not need the shunt and he can come "home" to Texas.

Tomorrow we will celebrate Zac's birthday because we will not have time to do so on his actual birthday (Monday) because we will be flying home. Please continue in prayer for Zac. Nothing is impossible with God and I know that He loves him even more than I do!!!

We have been thinking about Zac more than usual as today is his 20th birthday. Haven't seen any updates but hope there are positive changes. ZAC and the entire family are in our prayers.

Sheila & Amanda

Julia, Alannah, and I all flew back today from Virginia. We agreed it was hard to leave, but hopefully Zac will be back in Texas soon. The latest on Zac is that he is having a hard time weaning off the vent (need for specific prayer). The longer that he is on the vent, the harder it will be weaning him off. He now has MRSA and we have to wear gowns and gloves when in his room.
He is on 3 different antibiotics for infection. The Dr's have not made a final decision about the shunt for Zac. He still has the 1 drain for excess spinal fluid which is showing low output and low intracranial pressure. They are concerned what will happen if/when that is removed. We will wait for their decision, but have told them it needs to be made as soon as possible.
If they decide he needs the shunt, then Zac has to be infection free. Many of you know that the longer you are in the hospital, the greater the risk for infection, especially if you are not up walking or moving around. This could take a while. If he does not need the shunt, then we are ready to take Zac somewhere else. At his current condition, Zac is not appropriate for the Shepherd Institute in Atlanta.
If he does not show improvement at this time, he will most likely come to the LTAC in Ft. Worth. We do pray for Zac's condition to improve to the point where he is restored completely!! Our family would like nothing more than for Zac to walk back in that hospital and tell those Dr's that he knows the Great Physician and they were wrong!!!
We pray for God's will to be done, but we do ask for full restoration for Zac. Please continue in prayer that Zac will be healed, and all the praise and glory would go to our Lord and Savior!!!

Hi everyone,
This is Zac's dad (Fred) I've been following all your post for the past few weeks and want to thank you all for your Love, support and most of all of your fervant prayers. I haven't reponded til now because I'm usually on the phone about 5-6 hours out of the 13-16 hours i'm at his room with church members, family, my CMA chapter The Koinonia Riders (my close family) closeest friends (oh--did I forget to mention work-what little of my computer business is left) and there is something constantly going on between the neorosurgeons, trauma surgeons, respirtory & occupational therapist, nurses and all the trips downstairs to CT/MRI/angiography...etc. Jesus is my strength and my Salvation (Phil. 4:13).

current update:
Zac's temp has never been over 99.1 all day
Brain swelling has diminished and his ICP (pressure) hasn't been over 2 which is normal.
He raised his right hand again late tonight.
Respirtory lower the Ventilator breathing rate down to 10 around noon and he's still breathing above the vent at 11-14 (real good considering what he's been thru the past 5 days)
His white blood cell count went up 4000 since yesterday and so they have had him on vancomycin all day for the MRSA staff infection and will do another blood test in the morning and we'll see where it's at.
all other vitals are good.

I apologize to all of the people God has put in my, Zac and Jakes life over the some 42 years I've been in motorcycling. You truly have treated us like family and are proud to call you all "Freinds". I believe with all my heart that GOD brings everybody he wants us to come to know across our path (called Life) for a reason. I hope you know Zac well enough to know he doesn't just race because he loves racing, he loves the racing family (TMGP/CMRA/WERA/AMA) and everyone and thing to do with it. When we are loading up after an exhausting weekend and pulling out of the race track he always says to me, "Dad I wish the race week end wasn't over I wish it was longer".
He loves being with ya'll, he's always wanted ya'll to know his Saviour, the one he Loves and Loves him. That is our prayer, that this situation that God is walking with us thru might show someone out there how much God loves us and wants the same relationship with them that Zac has had since he was a little boy.
Keep up the prayers and know we appreciate your caring.
In Christ
Fred Chapman (track name "Zac's dad"):rider:

Thank you for keeping us updated. Still here with you.

Spoke with Zac's dad today. He said that the neurosurgeon has decided that Zac will need the shunt and there is a possibility that he could do this by the end of this week. When the Dr. puts in the shunt, he will also put back in the piece of Zac's skull that had to be removed in the beginning due to the swelling. Zac's temp and heart rate are good. He was able to breath some over the vent last night, but not today.
If Zac could get the shunt put in soon before anything else has a chance to happen, this would be good. We pray for Zac to stay stable and to only show improvement. We pray that the surgery to put in the shunt will go well and without any complications. We pray that Zac will recover quickly from the surgery and that he can be transported to the place that is best for him at this time.
We pray for everyone involved in Zac's care that they would use their skills to take care of him and provide the best care possible. We pray for God to continue to walk beside Zac as well as his family and friends. We pray for a miracle and we ask it all in the name of Jesus knowing that He can do anything!!!! Amen

The neurosurgeon has scheduled Zac's surgery for 1:30 on Friday. (That's 12:30 our time)They have decided to just insert the shunt and not put back in the piece of Zac's skull that had been removed due to swelling. They do not want to increase the risk of infection by doing that at the same time.
There has been an overwhelming response to the sale of Zac T-shirts. Alannah has graciously accepted the responsibility of taking orders for these. I want to say that the price for an XL shirt is $17 compared to other sizes at $15. There may be a slight delay on getting these to you as another order had to be placed!!!
Her email address is lannah@rocketmail.com Please contact her if you want T-shirts. Those of you that have already emailed me, I will forward your request. If she has to ship the shirts, there may be extra charge for shipping. Please continue to pray for Zac and his upcoming surgery. Much love to you all...

Jenny/Fred,

Our thoughts, prayers, hopes and dreams are with you now and always.

God has a plan, would be nice if he shared it but he has one.

We are here as much for you as we are for him.

Maverick

There has been an overwhelming response to the sale of Zac T-shirts. Alannah has graciously accepted the responsibility of taking orders for these. I want to say that the price for an XL shirt is $17 compared to other sizes at $15. There may be a slight delay on getting these to you as another order had to be placed!!!

Her email address is lannah@rocketmail.com Please contact her if you want T-shirts. Those of you that have already emailed me, I will forward your request. If she has to ship the shirts, there may be extra charge for shipping. Please continue to pray for Zac and his upcoming surgery. Much love to you all...

Got pics of the shirts?

Just got off the phone with the night nurse and Zac's surgery has been bumped up to the first surgery at 7:15 a.m. Virginia time. That is 6:15 a.m. Texas time. I would ask that everyone pray for the surgery to go well. This is the surgery to put in the shunt.
There is also a serious need for prayer regarding where Zac will be transferred to when he is ready. His ins. is not wanting to pay for him to go to Sheperd in Atlanta, but we are in the beginning stages of getting approval. The LTAC in Ft. Worth has now stated that they will not accept him as a patient.
I am believing this is happening for a reason and trusting that the Lord knows what is best for Zac and is directing us down the right path. I would rather Zac be in another state and being well taken care of then have to be sent to a nursing home here close to us. Please help us in our earnest prayers for Zac and his complete recovery!!!

Zac made it through his surgery fine. They only put in the shunt and have decided to wait to put in the piece of skull that had to be removed due to swelling. He was of course sedated for this, and so we knew yesterday was a day of rest and recovery for him.
Today I spoke with his sister Jennifer who is there this weekend and she said that Zac's vent is set at 12 and he is only breathing 12. This is decreased from 14 where they have had him lately. I know that they would not do that unless his carbon dioxide levels had improved.
I would ask for specific prayer that Zac could wean off the vent. If he could do this, there would be more places that might accept him as a patient when he can come home to Texas. Also pray that the Lord will guide us toward which facitlity is best for Zac when the time comes for him to be discharged from the hospital in Virginia.
It is hard to be so far away from him for many reasons. I do know that he is getting good care where he is and that makes it (almost) bearable. I miss him so much and know that the Lord knows this too. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thine ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths" Prov. 3:5-6.

Talked to Zac's evening shift nurse. He said that they have started giving Zac caffeine to help wean him off the vent. He said that when they lowered his vent setting to 12 breaths per minute that his carbon dioxide level increased above normal. So, they will not be able to lower it more until his CO2 levels improve. Zac had a bout with vomiting again this afternoon, they are not sure what caused that to happen.
I discussed with his nurse getting Zac up in a chair and out of bed. He said this could be a possibility in the ICU setting. Being a therapist, I think this could only be a good thing. We will see if it happens. Zac's temp is 100.8, that seems about normal for him at night. Keep praying for him to be weaned off the vent. All things are possible with God!!!

Still checking into the forum and praying for Zac. Fred, thanks for the picture of Zac you sent to Bobby's cell. We are on a short trip (PK Lake this week), but have our lap top to check in on.

Bobby & Nancy

Zac got to sit in a recliner today! The staff transferred Zac from the bed into a recliner and he sat up for quite a while today. I spoke with Fred about how Zac did as far as weaning off the vent and he said he did not do too well today. Please keep praying that Zac can wean off the vent.Fred said that the staff plans on getting Zac out of bed every day. Zac may be having some sort of an issue with his feeding tube. For some reason it appears that he may not be digesting the tube feeding well. The medical staff will be monitoring this situation to see if his feeding tube needs to be placed in a location past his stomach.
Zac's older sister and younger brother were able to visit him over the weekend. Please pray that God will continue to supply all of our needs for those of us that have to travel to go see Zac. Thank you all for your continued prayers for the complete recovery and full restoration of our beloved Zac!!!

Stay strong zac and family. haven't met face to face but my heart goes out to all of you

:tab Thank you for the updates. Also, thanks for the specific prayer requests. I know getting him off the vent is a huge deal and I will be praying for that in particular, as well as the continued general prayers for patience, strength, endurance, and faith for all involved.

Spoke to Fred this morning and when he got to the hospital they had moved Zac out of the ICU into another area that is called PICU. (progressive ICU) He is still on the vent and has not had a significant change in his overall condition. I will call again and give another update tonight. Keep the prayers coming for our Zac!!!!

Zac's transition into the PCU (just progressive care unit) was a little bumpy, but hopefully things will only get better from here. The ratio of patients to a nurse is higher here, 5:1, whereas in the ICU it was 2:1. It was difficult to talk to his nurse as she was very busy.
Zac got a better fitting neck brace today. Fred said they are to deliver his helmet tomorrow which is to protect the area where his skull was removed. They felt it was better not to get him up in a chair today until his helmet arrives. They will do a CT scan in a couple of days to make sure the shunt is working as it should.
They have held his tube feeding since yesterday afternoon. For some reason his body is not digesting it well; we will see what decision is made about that. There has been no progress in weaning off the vent. As you can see, Zac is still in need of prayer. Please continue to pray for Zac.
Father, we ask that you would continue to heal Zac's body. Please help him to receive good care in the PCU, and may the nursing staff come to love and care for him as all of us do. Your word says "Ask, and it shall be given you..." I ask for you to fully restore Zac so that he may continue to be a witness for you here on earth. Help him wean off the vent and continue to get better with each passing day. Amen

Back