• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yet ANOTHER Strange and Baffling Electrical Problem (Darn it!)

What about the reg/rect? Dad-gum it! It sure is to troubleshoot so far away from the equipment:argh:

Yes, it is. I am thinking it is either something in the headlight shell, or something near the engine.

The only thing I changed last weekend was to pull the instrument cluster apart to install new light bulbs in the tach and speedo. However, I've been meaning to rewrap the wiring harness where it goes from the shell to the frame.

And I need to mess with that "new" tank I got off Ebay. And Install the new oil pressure thingy. And the new rear tail light switch thingy.

Looks like I'll be busy. Good thing my wife bought me beer! :clap:

:popcorn: now, how much is the bad news, i.e. the cost to repair? :eek2:

(,,,,,hoping for something cheap and simple,,,,,,,:zen: :zen: :zen: )

The bad news, Robert, is it appears my stator is toast.

With the bike running, I got nada, zilch voltage coming out of the regulator/rectifier. Working my way backwards, I pulled the connector from the stator to the reg/rec and a big bunch of nothing from there, too.

I put the VOM to the leads from the stator with the engine off, as per the Clymer manual. I got infinite resistance between the yellow lines.

Then I physically pulled the stator and I saw crispy, break-off-in-your-hand wires where the yellow wires attach to the stator. (Not the yellow wires themselves, but the uninsulated wires that wrap the insulated wire to the body of the stator)

I'm open to other suggestions, but as the stator is the only part of the charging system that I have not already replaced, I think I have a "winner."

And I hereby offer a sincer apology to wannbeaguru for doubting his analysis of the problem. Of course, this time I actually listened to someone else and checked the charging system FIRST. :doh:

Motorcycle-Superstore.com has a new Electrosport stator for $119.00. I am going to check with Custom Rewind (in Birmingham, Alabama) first, though.

And, I got the new oil-pump pressure indicator and the rear-brake stoplight switch both installed, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Pie in Hutto doesn't seem too likely, though.

Lee

Honda charging systems strike again!

Commiserations my friend.
I just replaced the stator and regulator on the Shadow last month to the tune of $250 after all was said and done. And that's for parts only!

Lee: No apology needed or required! I'm glad I was able to help in some small way. Good luck on getting Bikey repaired and back on the road.

Lee: remember when an electrical failure occurs, try to find out/reason why it happened. ie, a circuit breaker trips because:
1 too many things connected to circuit
2 something in circuit failed
Then fix the REASON THE FAILURE OCCURED. If you don't, you'll be buying more parts.
You're doing great as a novice technician! Go get 'em!

Lee: No apology needed or required! I'm glad I was able to help in some small way. Good luck on getting Bikey repaired and back on the road.

I will be ordering a new stator tomorrow or Monday. I am tempted to do the "instant gratification" thing and order an Electrosport stator from Motorcycle Superstore, but I'm trying to wait and talk to Gary at Custom Rewind, first.

Lee

Chuck may be onto something here, this is very popular with some of the folks that go to Sturgis and Daytona. :rofl: :rofl:

My "new" stator should ship today from Birmingham, Alabama. Only $85.00 (plus whatever it costs to ship my core and stator harness back to Gary). When I bought my "new" rotor from Custom Rewind, it only took a couple of days for UPS to deliver it, so I've got my fingers crossed. :rider:

Somebody has a trailer in case I get stranded on the way to or from Hutto, right? :pray:

My fingers are crossed!

It ocurred to me the other day that my last problem (fried connector caused by frayed wires between stator and reg/rec) may have pushed the stator over the brink.

At the worst, for $85.00 plus shipping on my core to Gary, it will finish my upgrade of the charging system! :trust:

Have trailer, will travel.

I'm glad to hear this may be worked out.

Bikey lives!!! :rider: :eat:

From 0 volts the other day, to 14.1 volts after installing the new stator.

Wheeeee!!!

:thumb:

This illustrates exactly why I went ahead and replaced both the reg/rect and the stator on the Shadow when it showed signs of trouble. From all I've found in my research, one component failure propagates to the other.

This is not something I normally do as I tend to be a frugal person, but I thought about it and realized I needed my bike to be reliable without any doubt.

Lee, enjoy your pie!

I, on the other hand, am CHEAP. And I've been paying for it! :doh:

:thumb:

This illustrates exactly why I went ahead and replaced both the reg/rect and the stator on the Shadow when it showed signs of trouble. From all I've found in my research, one component failure propagates to the other.

This is not something I normally do as I tend to be a frugal person, but I thought about it and realized I needed my bike to be reliable without any doubt.

Lee, enjoy your pie!

Back