• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR carb question

DaveW

Reaction score
Hi all,
Dusted off the 08 KLR650 for bike night last night and it is apparently paying me back for too much time on the R1200C and not enough time on it. The bike started up fine, but wanted to stall as soon as I kicked down the choke lever. It ran okay with the choke on, but still dies when the choke is kicked off, even after warmed up. Figured I would throw out the question on the list for suggestions before pulling the carbs.

DaveW
Pearland, Texas

01 R1200C
08 KLR 650
03 525 EXC
82 VF750S
83 VF1100C

Really you need to pull it off the carb and clean it.

However if you can get it to stay running by running the the idle speed up I would just dump some new gas with a double shot of seafoam in the tank and ride it for a few days.

More often than not the KLR will become ride able again.

My KLR sits way to much and this is what I do.

as always YMMV AND GOOD LUCK.

Seafoam WILL NOT work for unclogging jets.

EVERY single bike i have gotten into my shop with carb trouble from sitting has seafoam in it. What happened is your low speed jet is clogged up from bad gas gumming up inside the carb. Gonna have to pull the carb off and clean it out.

Whatever you do, dont ever run a double shot of seafoam (no offense BpFowler) but all that will do is burn your engine up. Seafoam makes your engine run lean and with an already clogged jet your running lean already. I strongly suggest you dont ride it like that.

Pilot jet is plugged up.

Yep...just like mine was when I got the bike.

I ran it for a while and after a couple hundred miles it ran better (not still not real well), then I cleaned the carb and now it runs great, smooth idle and all.

I'd pull the carb and clean it. It took me a day, never having really done anything with a carburetor before. 6 hours of that was me figuring out that it was still clogged up and thus wouldn't run right when I got it back on the bike...oh what a day.

Thanks all, I knew that the carb was going to be coming off, just figured I'd ask to see if there was some new trick that I hadn't heard about yet ;)
Have a bit of time today, so sounds like part of it will be playing grease monkey ;)
Meanwhile, got the battery charged back up on the KTM, so may have to go play in the dirt a bit on it :)

DaveW
Pearland, Texas

01 R1200C
08 KLR 650
03 525 EXC
82 VF750S
83 VF1100C

The older models have a carb drain that you can do with a long hex wrench in a couple of minutes start to finish. Its easy, quick and it might work.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Pulled off the bowl and the jets. Gave them a good cleaning, threw it back together, now it idles just fine :)
Hope everyone gets some great riding in :)
Dave

Back