• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'06 KLR 650 Carb issue?

equipment junkie

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Mooty
Hey gang,

Put a new battery in the KLR and fired her up after a (too) long slumber. Starts and runs after warming up...but fuel is running out of the vent hose that runs from the TOP of the carb. So far I have:

1. Drained the float bowl.
2. Drained the fuel tank.
3. Fresh fuel.

Problem persists...

This morning I:

1. Removed fuel tank etc for access to the carb.
2. Removed the carb.
3. Removed the float bowl.
4. Cleaned float/ jets etc.
5. Reassembled everthing.

Problem persists>>>:ponder:

Any other suggestions? I don't really know if this is even a carb issue...thought I'd ask the collective memory/ experience of the KLR gurus on the board...

Thanks for your time!

Craig AKA equipment junkie

Sound like the float valve isn't sealing. Could be because it's dirty, but it sounds like you cleaned it. Otherwise it could be way out of adjustment and can't seat. But the float is the only reason I can come up with for it overflowing.

Sound like the float valve isn't sealing. Could be because it's dirty, but it sounds like you cleaned it. Otherwise it could be way out of adjustment and can't seat. But the float is the only reason I can come up with for it overflowing.

I agree with WB.

I had the same problem with my YZ even after taking the carb apart two times. The third time of cleaning I inspected the float seat and found a small sliver of rubber lodged in there.

If it's Fast Green I'll give you my working carb and trade plastics & tank with you.

With that said, I think ^they're^ right.

I don not remember it the KLR has brass or plastic floats but as long as you have it apart. you could check and make sure that they have not Cracked and are filling up with gas.

I would put a needle and seat in it. They are not all that pricey. and you know you have got it right.

Back