• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

oops! Suggestions??? Over filled...UPDATE PROBLEM IDENTIFIED! xb9S Died won't start.

Re: oops! Suggestions??? Over filled... UPDATE MORE CLUES xb9S Died won't start.

Oh and when you are ready for some REAL power, i can turbocharge it for you and get you up to 150hp on the dyno with stock lower end:dude:

With such a short wheel base I'd have to fill the front tire with lead to keep it down! :rider:

Re: oops! Suggestions??? Over filled... UPDATE MORE CLUES xb9S Died won't start.

With such a short wheel base I'd have to fill the front tire with lead to keep it down! :rider:

LOL. I see a stretched swingarm in your future, belt to chain conversion, and a turbo tuned to give power higher up in the rpm range... :thumb:

UPDATE
Using the ECM Spy software I get trouble code 32 rear injector short or open.

pull both wiring plugs from both injectors and I get 32 and 23 (front injector short or open)

plug the FRONT cable to the REAR injector get code 32 and code 23 clears.
(this makes me believe the rear injector is OK, at least electrically, since when connected to the front cable is shows no FRONT fault)

plug the REAR cable to the FRONT injector get code 32
(since when the front cable is connected to the front injector no fault codes this makes me think the problem is the rear connector itself or the wire harness itself)

Does my thinking make sense??

From the wire harness the 2 inches of exposed wire to the connector looks OK with no bare wires showing. There are minor rub spots in the wire insulation and on the frame, but nothing is worn through.

So... I am thinking of taking off the harness bundling and see if there are bare wires or such from anchor points or breaks where the harness bends. Logical???

ALSO... the connector itself could be the issue. Any way to inspect or test the connector?

thanks in advance for help!

UPDATE
Using the ECM Spy software I get trouble code 32 rear injector short or open.

pull both wiring plugs from both injectors and I get 32 and 23 (front injector short or open)

plug the FRONT cable to the REAR injector get code 32 and code 23 clears.
(this makes me believe the rear injector is OK, at least electrically, since when connected to the front cable is shows no FRONT fault)

plug the REAR cable to the FRONT injector get code 32
(since when the front cable is connected to the front injector no fault codes this makes me think the problem is the rear connector itself or the wire harness itself)

Does my thinking make sense??

From the wire harness the 2 inches of exposed wire to the connector looks OK with no bare wires showing. There are minor rub spots in the wire insulation and on the frame, but nothing is worn through.

So... I am thinking of taking off the harness bundling and see if there are bare wires or such from anchor points or breaks where the harness bends. Logical???

ALSO... the connector itself could be the issue. Any way to inspect or test the connector?

thanks in advance for help!

Did you do the diagnostic test in EcmSpy to see if the injector was working? There have been occasional problems with the injectors/wiring on these bikes. I would do the test, if it doesnt work, then wiggle the wires at the plug while doing the test and see if you get anything then. My bet would be on a broken wire at the plug.

I did not see anything in what I printed out for specifics on the diagnostics, but I did go to that screen and click on front then rear injector and did the diagnostics. in each case it showed green throughout the progress bar, with "active" displayed during the test.

MORE:

I did a continuity test on each injector connector. Test lead on connector 5 inches back on the wire. Both front and rear connectors are good. No opens.

Did a resistance test to ground (power off of course) from common lead on each and hot lead on each. Common lead on both to ground have same reading, however the hot leads on both are no where even close being the same! I also did a resistance test across the leads on each injector, they were slightly different that what the service manual said, but both injectors had the same reading so it was what I would consider normal.

Rule out the injectors
Rule out the connectors
Inspected wires back into the wiring harness beyond any significant bends and found no breaks or rubs in the wires.

If there is a wire short or open, I would guess it is further down stream and not under the air box.
I am beginning to suspect a component failure. Maybe a problem in the ECM.

AND EVEN MORE:

Pulled connector off of ECM and checked continuity between both connector leads on the front and rear injector connector and the pin at the ECM connector. I have continuity between connectors at each end and no shorts to ground from either end of the connectors

Rule out open or short in wiring harness.

Plugged injector connectors to injectors measured resistance between common and hot lead at the ECM connector back through wiring harness to injectors (disconnected from ECM of course) Both readings are the same as I got when I measured resistance directly at the injector!

The problem can only be the ECM! Crap!

Your thoughts???

I was lucky enough to be able to find the stock ECM in my 10 x 30 FULL storage unit. IN THE VERY BACK!!

I installed the stock ECM, connected the ECM Spy and there were no trouble codes!

I then set the reset Throttle Position Sensor, and shazam! The bike starts and runs!

The night it broke down I was concerned with the possibility it could be the ECM as a worse case, and was worried about finding a replacement since Buell is no more and the part is not something a HD dealership would stock. However, right here on TWT I saw a thread on Buell coming back to life as Erik Buell Racing and the introduction of the new bike. I surfed his website and found parts for the XB series including... wait for it... RACE ECMs for the XB9S series. I have a source for the part I need!

Unfortunately I do not have the money $250.00, so I will have to wait a payday or two... but I have the problem IDed and the part located. :sun:

I was lucky enough to be able to find the stock ECM in my 10 x 30 FULL storage unit. IN THE VERY BACK!!

I installed the stock ECM, connected the ECM Spy and there were no trouble codes!

I then set the reset Throttle Position Sensor, and shazam! The bike starts and runs!

The night it broke down I was concerned with the possibility it could be the ECM as a worse case, and was worried about finding a replacement since Buell is no more and the part is not something a HD dealership would stock. However, right here on TWT I saw a thread on Buell coming back to life as Erik Buell Racing and the introduction of the new bike. I surfed his website and found parts for the XB series including... wait for it... RACE ECMs for the XB9S series. I have a source for the part I need!

Unfortunately I do not have the money $250.00, so I will have to wait a payday or two... but I have the problem IDed and the part located. :sun:

Glad you got it figured out. That would be a first for me as ive never seen an ECM go bad on a buell.

As far as parts go, i can assure you without doubt that there will always be a parts source for these bikes. I really like buells and would hate to see you sell yours because you think you cant get parts anymore. Heck ever buell hasnt made the race ecm quite a few years before they went out of business and you still dont have a problem finding them. I bet if you get on ebay you could find 10 used race ECM's. Ive even heard of people taking the stock ECM and uploading a Race ECM map into it and viola you got a free Race ECM.

I really like this place for buell parts
http://www.americansportbike.com/
Just go to the store link and find your model buell.

Glad you got it figured out. That would be a first for me as ive never seen an ECM go bad on a buell.

As far as parts go, i can assure you without doubt that there will always be a parts source for these bikes. I really like buells and would hate to see you sell yours because you think you cant get parts anymore. Heck ever buell hasnt made the race ecm quite a few years before they went out of business and you still dont have a problem finding them. I bet if you get on ebay you could find 10 used race ECM's. Ive even heard of people taking the stock ECM and uploading a Race ECM map into it and viola you got a free Race ECM.

I really like this place for buell parts
http://www.americansportbike.com/
Just go to the store link and find your model buell.

Thanks for your help and information, and for being available to bounce this stuff off you as I progressed. I really appreciate the input!

Dang, only $250 for a race ECM? If that were a typical Japanese bike it would be around a grand.

Glad you got it figured out.

Dang, only $250 for a race ECM? If that were a typical Japanese bike it would be around a grand.

Glad you got it figured out.

May cost 4x as much but its less then 1/4th the chances to fail since its a Jap part! :trust:

May cost 4x as much but its less then 1/4th the chances to fail since its a Jap part! :trust:

This observation/opinion is based on... ???

Having done some checking, an ECM failure is extremely rare.

If you can point out something to support your assertion, please direct me to it. I'd love to see the information to learn about what causes failures and decide if I need to keep a spare at all time to prevent down time.

Since Buell seemed to be a niche or cult market there is a ton of Harley Davidson association based assumptions that the engine/tuning/electronics is/are the same as a Sportster, even amongst HD mechanics never trained for Buell service. It is rare an "outsiders" not Buell "cult member" have first hand factual information about modifications and failures.

The early "tube frame" Buell models did have stock HD Sportster engines, were plagued with problems, and had parts rattle off. However, the XB series and the following series with the Rotax motors where very durable, very dependable, and relative problem free. The XB series that did have problems was when the XB9 owners began to highly modify the engines to move up to 1200 cc and bigger. A modification that was soon not needed when Erik Buell released the XB12 series with the 1200 cc motors. I prefer the XB9 as it has a square motor, which is smoother running, and has about another 1,000 rpm before redline/rev-limiter.

I am open to any information about Buell ECM failures that you can direct me to. Thanks!

Back