• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South of DFW Run - April 22, 2017 - UPDATED GPX AND MAP

So, I did this route (or part of it) yesterday, and of course there was a lot of rain the day before, so one section of it had some awesome mud. I thought I was going to make it until the front wheel locked up and my front fender ripped off. I ended up using bungee cords to hold the back side on, but fortunately my brake lines did not break. Is there anyone with a Tiger or 800 GSA that has a solution for this? I assume I can get a fender that is a little higher somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 212
How in the world did you rip it off? It doesn't look like the mud gathered and ripped it off...did it rip off when you hit the dirt?

Got about 600 feet and could see it caking but felt like I would make it. Al of a sudden it felt like I hit a hole and went straight down. The brakes were locked from what looks like a bunch of mud building up. Maybe that broke it off but we through it to the side and bungee corded the rest so the brake lines would be OK. I did some research on it and it does look like it happens. I think the solution I see best is rerouting the brake lines so there is no loop from the left side of the wheel to the right and maybe getting a fender up top. I imagine different tires than my Heidenaus would not hurt either.

Well if that is the black dirt...the type of tires would not have mattered...it still would have caked up.

Yeah, it was the silty clay stuff. I ran into it this past January in no where New Mexico. It took me an hour and a half to turn around and go back just 1,000 feet. I was by myself with no cell phone reception, and so when I saw this stuff I did recognize it at least, but decided to give it another shot. Next time i will go around.

I don't recall running across this mix of dirt but maybe its just the rain has colored it far darker than when we crossed it. How far into the route were you when you ran across this.

It was on W County Rd 4423W at 32.21706, -97.08889, which is not long after turning off of 66. If you check out an aerial on GoogleMaps, you can see the color changes. It rained a lot last Friday, and was drizzling a little on Saturday, so that is probably why you did not see it. I am going to run it again after I modify my bike and it dries a little. I am thinking that I am going to get a longer brake line from the left side of the front wheel to the right and run it up toward the top of the forks where the others are. I may just ditch the front fender because I am not really sure it is necessary, or I will get the Touratech extended fender (although currently out of stock). Worst case, I think I can take a stock fender and make some tabs to extend it from the lower forks up 4 inches.

Back