• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2000 miles on a 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Scorch

Reaction score
It's Sunday and it's raining in Southeast Texas, as it has for 92 out of the last 100 days, so I'm stuck in the cabin.

I am the owner of an '08 V-Strom 650, which was my all-time favorite bike. It had enough power, was the best handling and most nimble bike I ever rode--that combo really makes riding a lot of fun. It was comfortable and reliable. And it was reasonably priced.

After 69,000 miles and 10 years, my Buy a New Bike alarm went off. I have to buy at least one more new bike before I hit 60... and that's next year, so...

I checked out the Guzzi Roamer and Ducati Scrambler 1100, both great bikes, but a little down on power for me. I went to the Suzuki demo day in AUgust at Stubbs to try the 1000 Strom, thinking I could have it all, a new model, Strom handling, and 1000 power. Needless to say, I was blown away by the Strom 1000. I almost knocked the salesman down getting to the pen to sign the papers.

I'ver had it 3 months now and have 2000 miles on it (would have more if not for the accursed rain). I've added an Atlas throttle lock and the OEM Suzuki side cases, and I have the Tall touring seat on the way. That's about all I need to get the bike where I want it.

Handling: Man, yes, yes, yes: such a fine handling bike. Just as nimble as the old 650. I think the high center of gravity must be a good thing, because just like the 650, this machine carves the curves. It just feels so effortless to whip it through the curves and corners. I have ridden my 650 and then the 1000, I cannot really feel any weight difference, even though I know the 1000 is ~40lbs heavier.

Power is great, more than I need and spread across the rpm range. I find myself getting to 65 in 4th gear then shifting up to 5, 6th and the engine loafs along at 75. I've hit 120 once and it got there in no time at all. That's as fast as I go on anything that does not have wings. You can pass cars and bolt away from a stoplight with plenty of quickness. I have to make sure I don't start getting tickets now, I'm a CDL holder. :rofl:

Comfort: the new model seat is much better than the stock 650 seat from the '08 bike. A little wider, a little thicker. I am 6' so the distance between the seat and pegs matters to me. It is ok, but I am hoping the 1.5" increase the soon-to-arrive tall seat will make it even better. This bike is tall but not too tall for me. I like tall bikes anyway.

Pros: the new design windshield is much much better than the old design. On my 650 I had to go with an aftermarket windshield to reduce the buffeting. On this 1000, it's a small shield but it's adjustable without tools and it really does the job. It's not Gold Wing calm behind it, more like "sitting on the patio with a breeze". I don't plan to change it out, it works great for me.

The seat is great, as mentioned above.

Cons: still chain drive, wish they would make a shaft model. Still the same crappy mirrors that do not extend out far enough. At least I still know what my shoulders look like. Will need a speedo healer, it seems to be off by ~6%.

vstrom1000a2.jpg

Overall impression: Very happy with this bike. I'm so glad Suzuki is still improving and selling the legendary V-Stroms, I probably would have quit riding by now otherwise. If it ever stops raining, I'm headed to Lockhart by way of Dallas.

Congratulations

I've got the 17' 650xt which is the look alike of your 1000

These modern bikes are truly amazing pieces of technology.

I just watched a review of all the 1000cc and up ADV bikes, and every reviewer agreed that, given the price point, there's no better bike on the market.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I saw it too. Dang it, I wouldn't mind losing some of the weight of the Tenere but I have the pink slip for it and don't really want to part with the cash needed to get the V-Strom. But I sure like it!

Thanks, guys. Can someone please do something about the weather? I checked with Suzuki and they do offer a weather improvement upgrade but it's expensive and involves moving to Arizona.

I switched seats, bought the Suzuki Tall Touring seat and put the original in storage. It's about 1.5" higher so better for my knees and more padding for my tail.

DLSEAT%20%28Small%29.jpg

Last edited:
The only weather upgrade I can think off involves goretex and heated liners :)

I have 11k on my 15 model Vee, nary a hitch or problem. Not even a burned out head light bulb yet.
I'd ride it to the Dalton Hwy if I had the time, it's been so trouble free. I hate to brag too much, you
know , Murphy's Law.244546

Well....I dont have one....having switched to a Tenere like Macdaddy did....
But 2 friends have 2014s & love em (well....RZ500rich HAD!...totaled this Spring)

RideNow Georgetown has a like new 2016 silver DL1000 with appx 1500 or so miles on it for $6995... Bike looked nice

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I love my 14 DL1000. Fixing to raise the bars an inch up and back. I know the feeling. My old Wee had comfortable bars.

Back