• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

funeral train

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.

I have not heard of this. Would love the kids to see it if it works out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ok, how many people are planning to go stake out a spot to photograph the president Bush 41 funeral train?

in the world of rail fanning this is a holy grail, it has been 49 years sense the last time there was a presidential funeral train, and very well could be the last time one happens.

I have already picked out a spot that hopefully is not crowded and provides a good angle.

I've seen the route but not the times, have you figured the time out??

For anyone that hasn't seen the route mep:
https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public...nativedocs/pdf_up_media_bush_41_route_map.pdf

I've not seen a play-by-play schedule, but the media has reported the following:
"The departure ceremony [from St. Martin's Episcopal Church] will start at 11:15 a.m., where he will then be transported by motorcade to Union Pacific Railroad Westfield Auto Facility.
The train will run through Tomball, Magnolia and Navasota on the way to College Station, and the ride is expected to last 2.5 hours."

I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.

good point on secret service I imagine.

departure according to Union Pacific is 1pm with arrival at destination at 3:45pm

the roster just list the 4141 but there is rumor locomotive 1943 will also be used.
the consist includes:
three power cars 207,208,2066
"city of Portland" dome diner
"city of San Francisco" dome lounge
"the council bluffs" baggage car
"Lone Star" business car
"Harriman" dome lounge
"overland" Diner car
"Portola" deluxe sleeper
"City of Denver" diner car
"Walter Dean" dome lounge
"Kenefick" business car

Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets. :shrug:

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.

Last edited:
Confused, thought I heard leaving Ellington Field for Washington this morning by one of the presidential 747 jets. :shrug:

Please clarify . This is interesting ,as you said

Think I understand...this will be for the burial at week's end I believe in college station.

This is a 3 stage event. Today flying to DC. In state there till Wed and flies back to Houston. Funeral service Thurs morn in Houston. Leaves after service for internment in College Station Thurs. That is when "4141" arrives approx 3:30-4:00 pm. in CS.

he will lay in state in the rotunda at the capitol from 5pm today to 10am Wednesday and then be transported to the National cathedral for the national service that is scheduled to last 90 minutes (televised) he will then be taken to joint base Andrews for the return trip to Houston, arriving back here at around 4:30pm
Bush will then lie in repose at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston for the service here Thursday morning, he is then to be transported to the Union Pacific yard and loaded onto the train in the "council Bluffs" car for departure to College station at 1pm with Arrival scheduled for 3:45 pm

Any idea where in College Station the train will stop to transfer for the final ride to the burial site ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, two links for all the available information:

(Union Pacific) George H.W. Bush Funeral Train

(Joint Force HQ) Official U.S. State Funeral Honoring former President George H.W. Bush, 1924-2018

The Union Pacific link above includes further links to info, video, and pics about the route, consist, etc, etc. There's a mention in there that the train will stop, and presumably transfer the President, "across from Kyle Field" in College Station.

The second link includes info on all of the events and schedule from now through burial at the Presidential Museum.

Last edited:
Thanks centex, I’ll try and get some pics Jarrett. Not sure how close they’re gonna allow us at that point.

I would figure as with most events heavily influenced by the Secret Service, the exact times are not published.

You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy. :rofl:

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.

You know your career is limited in the Secret Service when you're assigned to guard the dead guy. :rofl:

Just kidding. It was probably the same people that did a good job of keeping him secure during his living years. Sounds like a neat trip. I wish I could go. I hope the rain in the forecast doesn't rain on your parade.

I know you were kidding, but just like this morning, I expect 43 will be there with 41 the whole way and perhaps many other dignitaries.

Yup yup. I’m just going to pay my respects and kinda doubt I’ll get close to anything pic worthy.

Interesting. Something I'd like to do, considering that Pres Bush is one of my favorites of the 20th century. But that's a long way for me to go. Plus, it would take weeks to reschedule my Thursday a.m. doctor's appointment.

Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/E...vents-in-Bryan-College-Station-501742851.html

I wonder if they will be shooting down any drones that attempt to fly over for video footage...? :ponder:

Reading the online news, so much is going to be shutdown all day, from around 6am along the whole route it might be useless even trying to get close. In College Station there will only be 3 viewing spots for the public. Navasota pretty shutdown too. Maybe out in the rural area you might be able to sneak a view or if you have access to private land. Guessing crowds could be huge.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/E...vents-in-Bryan-College-Station-501742851.html

That rail line criss cross so may FM's I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult to find a spot along the route.

My plan is to be in Navasota at noon and wear good walking shoes.

I have picked out a county road with area for parking just down from a FM that lets me work my way in bypassing towns on the route.

got go pro clone, Cannon , and I-phone XS

UP 4141 is an impressive-looking EMD unit. I'll be looking forward to seeing any stills or video TWTers in that area manage to nab. Fingers crossed for good weather.

1095164806_74593d0981_z.jpg

Back