• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

In praise of the small motorcycle

Trying to decide which is better for adventure, a small displacement bike or a large motorcycle, is not going to produce consensus anytime soon...

You will never form a consensus because it's a personal choice full of compromises and varies by rider ability. And once you have your bike compromise decided on then you got to go on to tires. That'll be a whole nother thread, bike/ roder dependent and even more compromises to be decided.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

You will never form a consensus because it's a personal choice full of compromises and varies by rider ability.

I once heard a quote that I'll modify for this discussion. If you took every motorcyclist and lined them up head to toe, you would have a line that would reach to the moon and back, but still wouldn't reach a consensus.

I for one am very happy we have choices in bikes and even can have multiple bikes in the garage to choose from on a daily basis. Its the miracle of capitalism.

I am glad to hear that a smaller cc bike has the versatility to be competent on the street as well as off. I have been searching for good bike to get some off street experience and have been limiting my search to pretty much the 650 platform. After reading this i feel that something around the 350 range might be better for me.

What’s your fuel mileage like at WOT on highways? My XT250 goes empty fast!

What’s your fuel mileage like at WOT on highways? My XT250 goes empty fast!

~44 mpg on the 2009. Not long ago, I effectively swapped out for a 2013 to get FI (because I intend to take it to the Continental Divide). I haven't exactly measured mileage yet, but indications are similar.

OTOH, not WOT is a different story. I ride all day in dirt (like BBNP) and never dip into the Rotopax I bring along. 70-75?

What are you getting?

On my 2018 XT250 at mostly WOT (~70-75 mph) I’ll get the fuel light on around 70 miles of riding. Makes for a lot of fuel stops if hitting back highways. Compare that to around 120 miles range if you’re riding at a more leisurely pace.

On my 2018 XT250 at mostly WOT (~70-75 mph) I’ll get the fuel light on around 70 miles of riding.
That's hardly getting started on a long ride, but then you still a gallon of fuel left, as the reserve is conservative. But you triggered me... :twitch:

<rant>
I am annoyed that small bikes generally have such small fuel capacity. Is it really that much of a design difference to add another gallon or two? There are aftermarket larger tanks available for several popular models (none for the XT250, which double annoys me), so why is it such a stretch for motorcycle manufacturers to just do that from the factory? Is government regulation a factor?

Even the BMW G310GS "Baby Adventure" comes with only 2.9 gallons. At highway speed, I calculate 150 mile distance to empty. And to make matters worse, the fat fairings waste a bunch of space with a big air gap between the plastics and the tank. It looks like a big tank, but it's not. :shrug:
</rant>

<rant>
I am annoyed that small bikes generally have such small fuel capacity. Is it really that much of a design difference to add another gallon or two? There are aftermarket larger tanks available for several popular models (none for the XT250, which double annoys me), so why is it such a stretch for motorcycle manufacturers to just do that from the factory? Is government regulation a factor?

Even the BMW G310GS "Baby Adventure" comes with only 2.9 gallons. At highway speed, I calculate 150 mile distance to empty. And to make matters worse, the fat fairings waste a bunch of space with a big air gap between the plastics and the tank. It looks like a big tank, but it's not. :shrug:
</rant>

across the States on the G310GS

Someone will probably make a larger tank, unless BMW decided to make it difficult! ;) :rolleyes:

across the States on the G310GS

Someone will probably make a larger tank, unless BMW decided to make it difficult! ;) :rolleyes:
Thanks, @rob-houston. What Jenny has done on this bike makes me jealous. I think I'd *try* most of it but she's in a very different category of rider than I.

I do hope you're right about an aftermarket tank coming. I'd put one on my wishlist.

Did you see this video?:
I think I saw that, yeah. Funny though, I use my 310GS for street and am not very interested in taking it on dirt. Those are really great upgrades Rally Raid has available.. notably no larger tank, but again, at slower speeds like dirt, the mpg stays very high.

What do you ride?

I really miss my 2008 WRR. The winter of 2011/2012 back in PA I commuted 90 miles a day on it because the transmission of my civic went out and I had too much invested in college (I went back as an adult) to quit. It handled both the highways and heated gear perfectly for me. Plus I took it to the local riding club on weekends and rode the single track. If I get through this cancer I am seriously considering buying another one opposed to a big bike.

You're quite the youngster to be dealing with cancer, but then it's not a very considerate ailment.

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe promise yourself a shiny new 2019 WRR after this ordeal?

I didn't feel old until all this started, but I am not that young really. I graduated college at 41, I am currently 47 :-D . But it hasn't been fun. It could be worse so I am grateful for that. It started with a mole on my left leg that was melanoma, then it spread to lymph nodes in my left thigh (4 removed since June) and now it's in the bone in my left shoulder. I am told stage 4 melanoma is incurable and a permanent disability, but I think they have to tell you that so you are prepared. The survival rate historically hasn't been great for stage 4 melanoma, but I have a rare form and the right genetic markers for treatment, so they say the prognosis is good. I start radiation today. I have been on immunotherapy, but that is changing too.

Ok sorry about that, back on topic. The plan is to buy a new bike if I get an NED diagnosis or at least strong enough/pain free enough to ride again. I haven't decided what, but a WRR is high on the list for sure. I have only ever bought one brand new motorcycle and it was a 2005 SV650N so I guess I am due haha.

I didn't feel old until all this started, but I am not that young really. I graduated college at 41, I am currently 47 :-D . But it hasn't been fun. It could be worse so I am grateful for that. It started with a mole on my left leg that was melanoma, then it spread to lymph nodes in my left thigh (4 removed since June) and now it's in the bone in my left shoulder. I am told stage 4 melanoma is incurable and a permanent disability, but I think they have to tell you that so you are prepared. The survival rate historically hasn't been great for stage 4 melanoma, but I have a rare form and the right genetic markers for treatment, so they say the prognosis is good. I start radiation today. I have been on immunotherapy, but that is changing too.

Do you have people close to you to lean on and help out during the treatment? I hope it goes well and would appreciate updates.

Ok sorry about that, back on topic. The plan is to buy a new bike if I get an NED diagnosis or at least strong enough/pain free enough to ride again. I haven't decided what, but a WRR is high on the list for sure. I have only ever bought one brand new motorcycle and it was a 2005 SV650N so I guess I am due haha.

This is @texxter's thread, but I'm hoping he doesn't mind the deviation.

The only two vehicles that I've purchased new are motorcycles. They were on the inexpensive end ($8K and $6K), another huge advantage of small motorcycles. Did you choose the WRR over the SV or did you have them both at the same time?

Do you have people close to you to lean on and help out during the treatment? I hope it goes well and would appreciate updates.
Did you choose the WRR over the SV or did you have them both at the same time?

Well it's just my wife and I out here in Texas but she is awesome. Thanks for the concern though!

I tend to go through bikes pretty quickly. I had 5 or 6 bikes between the SV and the WRR. None bigger than a 650 though. I tend to like smaller bikes.

Back