• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend, TX

Just out of curiosity I googled the spreading of human ashes in Big Bend and found a lot of rules about it, not all of which were specific to Big Bend. It probably behoove you to call the parks and rec office and ask very specific questions. Fines for breaking the rules in a national park usually start at ridiculous and go up from there. Good luck.

Hmm.. Badlands are in South Dakota and the show is filmed in Louisiana. Curious how it ties into Big Bend?

_
That's what I thought when I tuned into the tv show. I've ridden in the Badlands area of SD and it is spectacular, but care must be exercised. The scenery can really distract you and if you go off the road there's lots of immovable objects to run into. I stayed in the Palmer Gulch KOA park. Very biker friendly.

Speaking of Big Bend land and retirement. Is it legal to have my ashes spread in the park?

I don't know about that but the irascible Edward Abbey (radical environmentalist & all around trouble maker) is buried somewhere on Federal lands much to the chagrin of the authorities once they got wind of it.

Old Ed was going to always have the last laugh.

I didn't come here looking for advice or lectures, just information.
I think most here are just a little envious.... most of us who go there and return have thought about staying longer. That is why the thread has been so active. I hope to see you there - long or short term stay.

Last edited:
I think most here are just a little envious.... most of us who go there and return have thought about staying longer. That is why the thread has been so active. I hope to see you there - long or short term stay.

Once I find a house/mobile home and get settled, I'll look you up on the site and do some riding. Once I retire, I'll be able to go when and where I want, so scheduling something will be a simple matter.

About all I can say about the Nat Geo Badlands Texas show is that most of our community basically told them to shove the show you know where when we read the plot line. Only a handful of businesses allowed filming which included about a dozen people out of roughly a thousand that live in a 50 mile radius of Terlingua itself. The so called reality show doesn't come close to depicting our community. The participants have agendas of their own for taking part whether it is for profit. publicity, or the chasing of fame and stardom.

It is as unrealistic a showcase of Terlingua as anyone could pipe dream up. We already have lookee-lous coming here morbidly wanting to see the murder site and discuss a situation that we here are putting behind us as best we can.

Basing anything on this TV show and its contents is foolish at best. My take on what would be at its worst is probably not allowed here on the forum.

About all I can say about the Nat Geo Badlands Texas show is that most of our community basically told them to shove the show you know where when we read the plot line. Only a handful of businesses allowed filming which included about a dozen people out of roughly a thousand that live in a 50 mile radius of Terlingua itself. The so called reality show doesn't come close to depicting our community. The participants have agendas of their own for taking part whether it is for profit. publicity, or the chasing of fame and stardom.

It is as unrealistic a showcase of Terlingua as anyone could pipe dream up. We already have lookee-lous coming here morbidly wanting to see the murder site and discuss a situation that we here are putting behind us as best we can.

Basing anything on this TV show and its contents is foolish at best. My take on what would be at its worst is probably not allowed here on the forum.

I figured that to be the case. It's the publicity that turned me off. Inflated real estate prices are usually not far behind. My knowledge of Terlingua was associated with Carrol Shelby and the race held out there every year. When I saw the listing for the tv show, it was listed as a Natgeo documentary, so I thought it was about the badlands in South Dakota. Oh well. In a few yrs. the hoopla will calm down. I'd still like to visit the area and do some riding.

Speaking of Big Bend land and retirement. Is it legal to have my ashes spread in the park? I hope its not too soon, and I'm not in a hurry, but you never know. I really like the Ghost Town Cemetery, reminds me of the Good The Bad and the Ugly.

In many cases egality is always a matter of risk and being caught.

Maybe you can't have your ashes "spread" but anyone can dump out a pot of water with dirt and whatever mixed in it.......
:chug:

100-percent agreed. The whole thing is nothing more than a gratuitous exploitation of Glenn's death, and the principal participants fall right into the typical categories for attention seekers; the pretty blonde with fakers, the wannabe musician, the John Wayne wannabe, etc. It's over-stylized, painfully slow-moving, and outrageously self-important. Thumbs down.

Last edited:
It was definitely in poor taste considering that the show was based mostly around some poor guy's murder and everybody on the show had something to gain by being on it.

Last edited:
Back