• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mini ultralight tire spoons

SilverBullet

never slow down...you never grow old
Reaction score
Anybody try these before on a dirt bike tire with normal sidewalls? They are marketed for bicycles but the composite plastic seems very strong. Even has a hook at one end to lock onto spoke and act as a bead buddy. They nest and snap together very compact.

Biggest downside I see is the short length. But for a dirt tire with flexible sidewall, outside temps ~>80 deg, plenty of lube and proper procedure dropping bead into rim recess I'm hoping these will do the job. I carry full spoons on all my bikes but traveling and renting so my choice is either bring these or nothing. Actually now I'm hoping I don't have to find out if these work or not. Pack of two is only $2.96 at Walmart.

20160209_095444_zpss1hexeq2.jpg

_

I have tons of those - but only for bicycle tires

I have high doubts that the short length will provide the leverage needed for even warm motorcycle tires. You can forget cold Dunlop 606s and tires like them.

Even it they work, I'm not a fan of making the task of tire mounting/demounting on the trail any harder than it is. Besides, three Motion Pro tire spoons, including one with the correct size axle nut socket, are light enough as it is.

To me, it's all about leverage. Those won't provide enough of it. But that's just my opinion.

...Besides, three Motion Pro tire spoons, including one with the correct size axle nut socket, are light enough as it is...

It's not about weight. I'm doubtful that tire irons would pass thru TSA in my hand carry. And even if they did make it past TSA even less of a chance at some foreign country's airport security. I've had tiny nail files and nail clippers pulled out before. Not worth the risk to lose my Motion Pro spoons.

_

You weren't clear that you'd be flying in your question.

I'll tweak my input then, which is worth the price you paid for it - put serious spoons in your checked luggage, or buy them when you get there. That way you have have tire spoons you know will work.

Take or leave my advice = those mini levers aren't worth the try for motorcycle tires.

But hey, end all speculation and try them out for yourself. Nobody I know has or would use them, so we're just speculating as well.

It's not about weight. I'm doubtful that tire irons would pass thru TSA in my hand carry. And even if they did make it past TSA even less of a chance at some foreign country's airport security. I've had tiny nail files and nail clippers pulled out before. Not worth the risk to lose my Motion Pro spoons.

_

http://www.stubbytiretools.com/

Here you go SB. These are 100% plastic but are made for motorcycle tires, at least motorcycle dirt bike tires. They are pretty tough and will change a dirt tire without any issue as long as you have good tire changing technique. I love my fancy colored MX rims and don't like to scratch them--so I found these. If you try and get medieval with these tire irons they will break but they work great if you know the fundamentals of tire changing.

They are not 2.95 but those Walmart ones won't do the job--may as well try to put it on by hand.

Edit: Stubby says that they work on all motorcycle tires, not just dirt tires. I only have direct experience with changing dirt bike tires and using their product.

Last edited:
http://www.stubbytiretools.com/

Here you go SB. These are 100% plastic but are made for motorcycle tires, at least motorcycle dirt bike tires. They are pretty tough and will change a dirt tire without any issue as long as you have good tire changing technique. I love my fancy colored MX rims and don't like to scratch them--so I found these. If you try and get medieval with these tire irons they will break but they work great if you know the fundamentals of tire changing.

They are not 2.95 but those Walmart ones won't do the job--may as well try to put it on by hand.

Edit: Stubby says that they work on all motorcycle tires, not just dirt tires. I only have direct experience with changing dirt bike tires and using their product.

:clap:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but changing tires is all in the technique. I was wrestling with replacing tires on my R1100GS, even got to the point of buying a tire changer from Harbor Freight just to the get the three foot bar (because I thought that is what I needed was longer lever), but still couldn't get the last bit. I took wheel and tire to an old friend who is a professional mc mechanic, without mounting it to a stand, he used a six inch steel tire tool (such as used to come in an old BMW airhead toolkit) and had the tire on the rim in about two minutes. It's all about getting the bead of the tire in the right place and do the valve stem area last. There are some good youtubes about it. Point being, I think that there are probably tire "irons" (tire plastics?) capable of the job once one realizes that it is NOT a brute strength thing, but rather a form of finesse and technique to install a tire.

Back