• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Have 4 days for Memorial Day, thinking of a ride from Columbus, MS. Tell me where.

Reaction score
Have Fri-Mon off for Memorial day and I'm thinking about braving the traffic to go on a big ride. I'll be starting in Columbus, MS and don't have any commitment to any particular direction. From my location with my time off, make me a trip! :mrgreen::rider:

disregarding holiday traffic...
you are about 6 hours from Chattahoochee NF. once there you could 'see how the wind is blowing' to decide where to ride. just about any direction works. The smaller roads maybe won't be clogged with cruisers and RVers...

i think you are right to not let the threat of heavy traffic keep you home. Go and enjoy your time off!

Agreed, head toward East Tennessee, go ride deal's gap once (major motorcycle traffic on Memorial weekend) and explore the area.

Ended up riding to the Smoky Mountains and hit the Tail of the Dragon and a few other roads out there. Then cruised a bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville, NC. I was going to stay there and hit the Wheels Through Time museum on Sunday but there were ZERO hotel rooms available within 100 miles of Ashville. It was about 9:00 pm and dark and I had to ride home the next day so I just decided to start calling hotels along my route. Ended up coming across the only room left in Greenville, SC. Booked it and headed about an hour down that way after about 8.5 hrs of riding that day. Had to super slab it home since I needed to get back that day. Was not fun at all. Just under 1300 miles over all. Almost 3k on the Trophy now. I'm going to have to find a seat solution I think. After about 6 hours in the seat my butt starts hurting really bad. The big problem is if I get up, it's impossible to sit back down on the seat. I'm so distracted by the pain I can't focus on riding. I have an Airhawk but after a while it doesn't offer any relief either. :giveup:

I used the Rever app, which has partnered with Butler maps to overlay their highlights on the map. It worked really well for route planning. I've done a single 500 mile day before. But this was my first real, multi-day trip by motorcycle. It was a lot of fun. I discovered I REALLY like my cruise control and my radio.

Here was the Dragon and Moonshiner 28. I hit these early since I knew there would be a billion riders out Memorial weekend. Lucked out and had the road to myself both directions.
https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/125221

On to the Cherohala Skyway and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, by way of some of the slowest National Park roads ever. People towing 40' travel trailers and blind, tight turns aren't fun either.
https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/125774

Some of the interesting bits traveling to the Smokies.
https://a.rever.co/embed/rides/124717

Came across a grilling get together in Cullman, AL. Seems I wasn't their kind though so I pressed on.
20160526_191727.jpg

Mine and the Trophy's first night out together.
20160526_213442.jpg

After my Dragon fun. I enjoyed the road, but there were more fun roads on my ride.
20160528_091154.jpg

Points for creativity.
20160528_085814.jpg

BRP peak.
20160528_181442.jpg

World's nicest McDonald's?
20160528_195658.jpg

Home. Time in the saddle and trip miles. Averaged like 49mpg.
20160529_191139.jpg

More pics, lots of scenic views.
http://s30.photobucket.com/user/bigred177/library/Dragon

Last edited:
Excellent! I wondered just the other day If you had gone and if you did WHERE did you go and were you glad you did, etc.

So thanks for posting up!

You hit Murphy NC where my first riding mentor lives. I cut my teeth on those mountain roads.

Awesome trip. Good on ya.

gina

Nice ride, would love to get back that way again.

Back