• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Palo Duro Canyon

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Blaschke
Let me start out by saying I have ridden past Palo Duro several times, never stopped.

I am thinking about going up there to camp this fall.
Does anyone know if there are any publically accessible dirt roads in the area?

Or if there is anything else I should know before riding up there and camping.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

The website says there are some drive-up primitive campsites. Also cabins if you prefer. Photos are absolutely beautiful, but such a pretty place could not be kept secret if there was a lot of good riding to do, so I'm guessing not a lot of fun roads. (Hope I'm wrong.) Might still be worth the trip just to see God's mastery of xeroscopic gardening.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon

Mountain biking meca but not off-road moto friendly. Don't know if the play Texas will still be going on but if it is - GO. (skip the BBQ)

Mountain biking meca but not off-road moto friendly.

Definitely not a hiker's park. The CCC trail was the only one I liked. I had a lot more fun at Caprock Canyons.

See if you can get a cabin, built by the CCC way back when, quite nice for the $. Campsites are decent but not very 'attractive', though there were a few nice ones in the Cactus Campground. Hiking was good if you don't mind big hills.

My only suggestion is to take 207 south towards Caprock Canyon, quite scenic for the Panhandle.

as they all have said on palo duro canyon.. I wish we could ride there...

on the other hand. lake Mackenzie which is on 207 south of claude has 40 some acres dedicated to off road trails.. some easy, some not.

must have a texas ohv decal

has rv spaces and hook ups and they are great guys.. just my .02

There is an OHV friendly ranch just outside the gates of the state park. It basiclythey comprises the upper part of the canyon above the state park boundary. Can't rmember the name right off. Noodle around on the web some, and you should be able to locate it.

There is an OHV friendly ranch just outside the gates of the state park. It basiclythey comprises the upper part of the canyon above the state park boundary. Can't rmember the name right off. Noodle around on the web some, and you should be able to locate it.

Post enduro association. Pea. They run the enduro there every year. It crosses caprock canyon state park. You have to be a member or be a guest ...

There may be others also

Sorry you missed riding in Palo Duro Park 'back in the day'. I started riding there in about 1968. At that time, there was a long series of dirt roads and trails they allowed us to ride our motorcycles on. I got very familiar with much of the Canyon. I can't remember when they shut that down, but there are only vague, occasional remnants of those good rides.

Like the others said. Lake McKenzie has some decent trails. If you want camp and ride a dual sport dirt roads with good views Cap Rock Canyon is great (don't know how much dirt roads are through the place though. If you want to camp and MTB then Palo Duro is a great option.

They changed the enduro, but Cap Rock Enduro put on by PEA used to start in Quitague, TX and run up through the Cap Rock canyon state part about 10 miles or so then onto private property that was around the part. They has some sweet single track. They changed the race to start in Memphis this last year. They usually run it in March or April.

Definitely not a hiker's park. The CCC trail was the only one I liked. I had a lot more fun at Caprock Canyons.

What, are you crazy? ;)

Just spent a week there a couple weeks ago and there are great hiking trails everywhere. We hiked everyday and did a new trail every time. Didn't see a single MC trail anywhere.

Try:
Rock Garden
Lighthouse.
Juniper Trail
Little fox trail.

Back