• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Trice beat me to it.

RG it looks like this one to me.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-373-beadbrakr-tcm-tire-changing-mat.aspx

I'm also using a WalMart solution myself. I carry a plastic painters drop cloth, these are thin and usually only get one tire change. The upside is that it is large enough to just cut off the dirty or torn portion and dispose of it at the next fuel stop. It can also be used in camp for many things.

Last edited:
Baja No Pinch Tire Tool Axle Sizes

i-D8T4DWf-M.jpg

i-3s6LCQt-M.jpg

On my KTM 500 I use 20mm (rear - this post size, blue, comes standard on the tool as shown in the photo above) and 25mm sleave (my KTM front axle size - this size, purple, is the only piece you can get that is a "sleave". It slides over the blue 20mm post)

I have the complete set, but forgot to bring the smaller size posts to Rich's tech day, so I couldn't help texaspatrick who needed one of the smaller sizes (green or gold, not sure which) for his KLR 650 rear wheel. His Kenda big block had to go on the old fashioned way (and the tube got pinched in the mounting process and required a patch)

In the future on the trail, I'll be sure to carry all the sizes

For your shop at home - be acutely aware of what comes with what your order, and be absolutely sure you have the BNPTT posts to match the axle size(s) on your particular bike

Baja No Pinch Tire Tool website

Last edited:
Thanks for at least trying with the Baja tool Trice! I got home and mounted the wheel after the tech day and found out we had installed the tire facing the wrong direction :lol2:

Thanks to y'all for your tech tips, I wrestled the tire off and got it remounted with the help of an off brand Bead Buddy. Only one busted knuckle this time! :zen:

Not something I want to do on the trail, but knowing that I can do it myself with the tools I carry is a nice confidence boost.

image_4.jpg

I also ordered one of these from a local bike shop to carry in the tool bag. I use their pumps for my bicycles and they are top quality. Every part down to the o-rings are replaceable from the factory.
www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-microflrhp.php#.VvwNAu29LCQ

It may just be my imagination or an illusion, but it looks to me like you have a little "flattening" of the rim at ~7 O'clock. May just be the way the light hit, but if you do a judicious whack with a BFH oughta fix it (something solid on the bottom side, of course, like a piece of 2x4).

Re: Baja No Pinch Tire Tool Axle Sizes

i-D8T4DWf-M.jpg

i-3s6LCQt-M.jpg

On my KTM 500 I use 20mm (rear - this post size, blue, comes standard on the tool as shown in the photo above) and 25mm sleave (my KTM front axle size - this size, purple, is the only piece you can get that is a "sleave". It slides over the blue 20mm post)

I have the complete set, but forgot to bring the smaller size posts to Rich's tech day, so I couldn't help texaspatrick who needed one of the smaller sizes (green or gold, not sure which) for his KLR 650 rear wheel. His Kenda big block had to go on the old fashioned way (and the tube got pinched in the mounting process and required a patch)

In the future on the trail, I'll be sure to carry all the sizes

For your shop at home - be acutely aware of what comes with what your order, and be absolutely sure you have the BNPTT posts to match the axle size(s) on your particular bike

Baja No Pinch Tire Tool website

I guess I'm going to have to purchase one of these...sigh...There are so many things more fun than shopping for MC parts and accessories like being rear-ended in my new patrol SUV while working a crash on SH317... :rider:

https://youtu.be/8WRLymbFBCg

Re: Baja No Pinch Tire Tool Axle Sizes

I guess I'm going to have to purchase one of these...sigh...There are so many things more fun than shopping for MC parts and accessories like being rear-ended in my new patrol SUV while working a crash on SH317...

I suggest you borrow one first and try it out before spending the big bucks. That's what I did, used it once and while nice for doing 1/2 of the job it wasn't a sliced bread moment for me. I've been trying to return the tool back to the owner for over a year now and haven't been able to connect. Since that time I have changed nine additional tires and left the BNPT in the box for each one. Honestly for me it seemed more trouble to unbox, assemble, size the spacer, adjust and use it. Not saying the tool doesn't serve a purpose and I know from posts it is a lifesaver for many but for others that don't have issues with spoons and technique it is $150 saved and keeps the tool set simplified and basically the same in the garage as on the trail. YRMV so definitely try one out if you get the chance.

_

Tire Academy Session Sunday 24 July 9 AM

lighthouse-ocean-animated-gif-5.gif

Tire Academy Session Sunday 24 July 9 AM Cibolo TX

Randy Power is bringing his son over to Casa Tricepilot this Sunday and we're going to go over the tire and tube techniques discussed in this thread.

Randy is headed for MexTrek and wants to add solid trail side flat repair to his tool box of skills

All are welcome to participate, class will be in session. Send a PM if you're coming.

giphy.gif

A little coffee with your 9 am dual sport tire and tube repair

See y'all tomorrow....everyone invited :thumb:

i-Mf7srKD-L.jpg

Another fine Tire Academy this morning in Ciblo :clap:

That's Randy on the left and his son Trevor gettin' their spoons on

Our man texaspatrick also came to roll up the sleaves and re-train the muscle memory on tire skills

i-jPBJBGk-L.jpg

We pulled out all the gear and went at it

The mantra is always - "practice at home with the tools you'll use on the trail"

i-ggwJRvs-L.jpg

Nice having Randy's son learning tire skills at such a young age. Self-sufficiency out in boonies gives a confidence that you can meet most challenges and get into camp before sundown

i-cVfgzK3-L.jpg

Here Patrick holds wheel while Randy and Trevor borrow my KTM 500 to break the bead on their wheel

Really great to meet Randy and Trevor and see Patrick again. After Patrick and I went to La Cabaña for their famous shrimp cocktail with avocado. He then headed for San Marcos to jump into the river to cool off!

Nice to see you again Trice. Was good to sharpen the brain this morning.....because I got a flat on the way home! Haha no joke! Luckily it popped less than a block from my house and I managed to roll into the garage.

Bob, it was very kind of you to invite us over for the class. Although Trevor had done a bit of dirtbike tire changes, everything he knew was from watching videos. We learned an awful lot about technique, process, and tools. As expected, lots of tips along the way regarding planning, packing, and alternatives will also be very useful when the time comes.

Now I'm in the process of assembling the road toolkit. What was that creamsicle-flavored slime you use? And how does it help with balancing?

Patrick, it was also a pleasure meeting you, and glad to learn from your experiences too. What are the chances you'd have a flat the same day? Nice you were so close to home. Just curious... Front or back? Did you see what caused it?

Last edited:
I'm about to swap out my front and rear tires on the KLR. Anyone have an interest in a tire changing session, maybe this weekend or sometime next week? I've got a semi-decent Kenda Big Block I'll be taking off the rear if someone needs a beater tire as well...

I can do one here in that time frame, I need to swap a D606 on my 500 also

You busy Sunday? I could use a little ride in this nice weather.

I need to go buy some more tire tools, I broke a lever putting on this super stiff sidewall Kenda (that I'll be taking off)...

At 2 PM this coming Sunday in Cibolo we'll be doing a tire clinic. Those rusty on their skills are invited to come & observe and/or participate.

Last edited:
First tire done: installed a TKC80 on my own 500 BUT I damaged the valve somehow and it wouldn't hold air. Installed a replacement valve and all is well. Everyone carries replacement valves they often just don't realize it - they're on the tube you're carrying as a spare. But then if you installed the spare you'd need a new valve still - that's why I carry a bag of about 4 extra valves. Add spare tube valves to your fix-a-flat checklist.

Back