• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JB's BMRA Barney Fife Ride 12/10/16

cmc#3

Reaction score
JB's BMRA Barney Fife Ride 12/10/16

When: Saturday December 10, 2016
Kickstands up 10am

Where: Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area
http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/
5miles north of Gilmer,Tx. (155 miles from Bedford,Tx)
We park at the paved area at the top of the hill, to the right, as you climb the hill, just after the entrance gate. Old roadside rest/picnic area. Behind the 3 cabins.

What: 26.5 mile single track. ADVANCED riders only. Enduro type bikes only. 650's and up will have a memorable (bad) day.
An advanced enduro rider will spend 3 to 4 hours on this, if you don't get lost or miss a turn. (Follow me/crew)

$$: $30 day fee +$17 Boat Sticker (bargain) or,
$60 membership/$15 day fee (better bargain)(still need boat sticker)

BMRA/TMTC has recently cleared the trails and remarked them. In my 6+ yrs riding there, it is by far the best it has ever been.

Advanced riders only. There are some bypasses for the most extreme climbs which I take myself. Some climbs on the west side are too hairy.

Print both maps and carry. Bring your glasses to read if you're like me, old.

I/we ride this almost every week if we're not treking to Draper or Stillwater. When it's between 45° and 90°. Not too muddy, not too dry.
I will update here for future trips.
I hope you come check it out.
Regards,
jb in Bedford.

Any idea how much rain they've had and how well the area sheds water? I'm interested but don't know if I want to trailer 3 hrs for a mud fest (not that I haven't done that before!).

CMC#3 ...
JB in Bedford ...

say it ain't so

Any idea how much rain they've had and how well the area sheds water? I'm interested but don't know if I want to trailer 3 hrs for a mud fest (not that I haven't done that before!).

3/4 to an inch. It drains very well due to inclined topography.
The connector roads can have a significant mud hole from the jeeps.
The wind fri should fell some more dead trees from the drought. Joy.
Might think about Sunday instead due to temps.

CMC#3 ...
JB in Bedford ...

say it ain't so

So.

Hi CMC#9, MW in Grandbury.

jb

Sunday would be good for me.. Forgot about a birthday party Saturday at in-laws house.

Saturday confirmed.
2, maybe 4+ riders.
Cinch it up.

jb

Saturdays a no-show for me, but thanks for posting up! I want to get out there soon and it's always better to be with somebody who knows the way around a new place.

Keep posting up- sometimes it takes a while for people to get in the groove. I had to work today unfortunately...

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Man, y'all do this often? If I'd have noticed it in the forum I'd have joined in. I live in Forney and wouldn't mind finding some regulars to head out to BMRA with. I have a KTM 300 will get me where I want to go at BMRA.

Warm but possibly wet at BMRA this weekend.

Any armchair meteorologist here?

"I wanna ride!"

1/2/17 had only 2 of us riding.
Buddy from OKC was down for his 2nd time around Barney.
It was just after the front went thru. It was wet but very ridable.

Saturday the 14th looks to be the dryest.
Thoughts?

jb

Yeah. It has already rained here last night. The trails are usually doable, but the roads get crazy soupy. Seriously muddy rides out there break parts and mess up seals on the forks! It can be really gritty.

Accuweather says that Gilmer should get Rain tomorrow. Also, there is a 57% chance of rain on Sat with 42% on Sunday. Saturday looks to rain mid day and is expected to around .7 inches.... :-( Hourly is not available for Sunday until tomorrow.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/gilmer-tx/75644/hourly-weather-forecast/335801?hour=81

If not this weekend I'm out until likely the 29th unless miracles happen at work (a long shot).... :-( Planning to wrench on my wife's car the next couple of evenings as soon as the parts come in and hoping it won't run into Sat(limited time in the evenings). Replacing her Catalytic converters (bolt in kit). Life has been interfering with my riding time for several months now! If not life then extra funds have been sucking me dry! In need of some seat time.

The sad news is the bike sits prepped and ready and the gear is already packed. It has waited the last few weekends... :-(

Last edited:
I'm going to try to make Saturday - anybody definitely riding 1/28?

I did make it out on Saturday, and I definitely recommend the place - While there are a lot of challenging sections, there seems to be plenty available for the less experienced riders as well.

Signage is pretty good - the map can be a little difficult to follow, and some of the trail ratings are different on the sign at the trail than they are on the map - I assume the map is more up to date (because it's easier to change)? Overall, it isn't too hard to get where you want to go. I do wish they had a bit more signage with "this way to exit", as I had to explore a little to figure out if I was headed the right way or not to get back to the office in time to check out of the bunkhouse.

I got a little video but really nothing interesting, since it was just me and nobody in front of me - I don't really like ride videos with nobody in them.

I also explored the 4x4 trails a bit in the SUV, and that was pretty fun too - I mostly did the easiest trails. I did get on a couple of intermediate trails, and did a couple of things you really shouldn't do without a spotter (and most probably wouldn't do in a stock 2009 Nissan Pathfinder even with a spotter), but I survived.

Those signs with trail names/difficulty are many years old and nowadays are really only for the 4 wheelers. Landmarks.

Prime example is the one on the main road for "Over the Hill".
It is at the old entrance of this single track.
Old because a couple of years ago they reversed the direction of all the single track. This sign is at the exit now.

Regarding the maps, they are several years old as well.
Updates are needed. Good for general landmarks.

For single track riders, hit the entrance by the office and follow arrows.
3 hrs later you pop out just to the south of the office.
Have lunch.
Repeat.

jb

Back