• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds good. Best to give me a call so we can chat about it. My name is Jeff at 512-799-6811. Just leave a message if I can't pick up. Thanks!

Super Tenere with crash protection and 50/50 or better tires. Planning to ride all the hard route options but waiting to hear back from a couple people on that first. Definitely wont be taking the easy route options though.

_

This is something I will sign on for. Tiger and Tenere are both heavy pigs so
please start a new thread so we can talk out of this one.

Having done this before on a drz400, it is a blast. I only wish I wouldn't have pushed hard to complete each day before nightfall and made more stops. Most of our riding was done by 3 PM.

Some of the trails can get rocky and slick in the rain. Definitely suggest some more aggressive tires unless you plan on immediately bypassing rough areas in the rain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been lurking on this thread for sometime and am really starting to think I want to do this... Time will tell but I think this is doable. I would be trailering from Austin.

Having done this before on a drz400, it is a blast. I only wish I wouldn't have pushed hard to complete each day before nightfall and made more stops. Most of our riding was done by 3 PM.

Some of the trails can get rocky and slick in the rain. Definitely suggest some more aggressive tires unless you plan on immediately bypassing rough areas in the rain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did you ride a similar number of miles each day as is planned for this?

Did you ride a similar number of miles each day as is planned for this?
This is mi situation…I have a reliable two bikes trailer but nothing I can trust to pull it. Ideally, if there’s somebody interested to make a team, I would take care of the gasoline and share the hotels fees plus driving time 50/50. I live around the Houston area but no problem to go to Austin if that the case.* We can plan a kickoff meeting to review details and logistic.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

This is mi situation…I have a reliable two bikes trailer but nothing I can trust to pull it. Ideally, if there’s somebody interested to make a team, I would take care of the gasoline and share the hotels fees plus driving time 50/50. I live around the Houston area but no problem to go to Austin if that the case.* We can plan a kickoff meeting to review details and logistic.

Sorry, I didn't mean to respond directly to your post but to the group.

The distances do sound a little aggressive, which is why I booked the hotel rooms and double checked that they have 24 hour cancellation policies. I will carry a tent just in case it turns into a camping trip, which is fine by me as well. Although getting beers each evening is always great.

If there is a group of 8 riders wanting to ride fully supported, from silver city to Co springs and back, I have a huge metro bus that can carry 8 riders, 10 bikes, and gear. We raced out of it with the CMRA for a couple of years and if you like air mattresses and oriental rugs for furniture it is not a bad way to camp either. Operating cost is about $1 per mile so it would take about $150 per rider based on a 2013 mile trip total, for the bus only.
Do you have the 8 riders?

I have been looking at the tracks because i said the same thing about the tracks being a little aggressive but if actually look there is a lot of miles on the hard road and looking at snuggs ride report of the new Mexico part there is a lot of good gravel roads also, you can not have bankers hours and make this trip are be in a big group you will have to be on the road by 8 are 8:30, some days you may finish early are you my be in-crocheting on dark thirty or beer drinking time. My #2 son going with so I plan on take some pictures as i go, i am retired so i don't get in a hurry anymore.

Aaron

Hey mate I live in Houston and planing on doing this trip. We can talk or get together to plan. 281-798-9099. Hiurick

Hey mate I live in Houston and planing on doing this trip. We can talk or get together to plan. 281-798-9099. Hiurick
Great! I'll you this we. Thanks.

I am in N. Texas (Colleyville). I will be riding bike all the way, and will be taking the bypasses on the difficult stuff. I plan to camp each night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am in N. Texas (Colleyville). I will be riding bike all the way, and will be taking the bypasses on the difficult stuff. I plan to camp each night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I might be doing the same thing. Lets meet and talk about details

Hi all.... JoToPe, dualsportrider, and myself are meeting this Saturday 1/21 at 1pm @ Chuy's in Denton to discuss logistics of the trip. We are still unsure if we are riding from the North Texas area or transporting bikes to some location in NM... Also, we are wanting to nail down a few other items as well... I know there are a few other local folks (Goyco, Simmons1, copb8) that are committed or still debating and you guys are welcome to join if you have the opportunity. If there are more than 5 or so of us meeting we can decide on a more group friendly location to meet...

Are you guys still having this meeting?

Yes sir! You going to make it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, hope to see you... like to see your planned scheduled for the trip..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm as close to 100% in as I can be. Signed up and paid, vacation approved, reservations made.

I have an AM meeting in Fort Worth on the Friday before and i can't show up in MC gear so my plan is to haul from Fort Worth to Silver City that afternoon/evening. Google says it's 10h48min. I usually do better than google estimates so 10 hours out. Gain an hour on the way out so if I leave at noon, I'll arrive around 9pm local. That gives me Saturday to explore.

From Steamboat, leave Friday AM and return to Silver City Saturday via either Utah and Arizona or through Colorado pavement (maybe 149, I missed it last year). That decision will be weather related among other things.

Load up Saturday evening, haul out early Sunday. Google says it's 11h21min to home in Waco, so call it 11 hours. Add an hour for the time change, should be 12 hours back.

Haven't talked to the hotel but it looks like they have plenty of parking. Think the truck will be safe there for the week?

I'm as close to 100% in as I can be. Signed up and paid, vacation approved, reservations made.

I have an AM meeting in Fort Worth on the Friday before and i can't show up in MC gear so my plan is to haul from Fort Worth to Silver City that afternoon/evening. Google says it's 10h48min. I usually do better than google estimates so 10 hours out. Gain an hour on the way out so if I leave at noon, I'll arrive around 9pm local. That gives me Saturday to explore.

From Steamboat, leave Friday AM and return to Silver City Saturday via either Utah and Arizona or through Colorado pavement (maybe 149, I missed it last year). That decision will be weather related among other things.

Load up Saturday evening, haul out early Sunday. Google says it's 11h21min to home in Waco, so call it 11 hours. Add an hour for the time change, should be 12 hours back.

Haven't talked to the hotel but it looks like they have plenty of parking. Think the truck will be safe there for the week?

i am sure that your truck will be fine .. just make sure that your ins is paid up.. lol just saying

Hotel says leaving truck there for the week is fine. So I'm even more committed now. Or maybe I now need to be committed even more:giveup:

If you staying at a hotel in Silver City just book a room before and after the trip and let them know you'll be leaving your truck in between. We've done this many times and never had any push back the hotel. Find a spot to park it where it's obvious to the reception so they can keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back