TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
Plane Dr

Re: VFR1200X Owners Thread

I'm still loving mine. It is in my mind a step forward from the 05 GS. The GS had better suspension and that's it but really only after the ohlins.

The V4 is smooth and strong the GS kind of ran out of wind above 80. It handles as big of a load just as well.

Heat wise I feel the heat is there but much more distributed. I feel it on the insides of my feet and back of my legs. The GS was painful on the shins, I swear I had burns from it commuting.

Headlight is okay I had a set of LED's kicking around. I wired them to a factory switch so it is quite clean.

Commuting DCT is a dream, and the response begs to be used. I find I wring it out where the GS just didn't. It covers all the bases well. I just couldn't afford a new GS which may have addressed the issue. But then I don't have a BMW either.

I think with a tire change at this point it will go anywhere the GS would (assuming I'm riding it). I'm glad there's at least 1 other to compare notes to!

Former bikes
2012 Wee, 2005 R1200GS AKA The Mothership, 2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin, 2001 DRZ470SSW SM/Dirt Experiment, 1986 RG500 WW Gamma smoker, 1984 GPZ900 Ninja, 1974? 754 Chopper (don't ask), 1978 KZ1000 The Cow, 1972 XS650, H1's, H2's, RD's, RM, GT's.......

Far too many 2 strokes....

Last edited by Plane Dr; 06-15-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
ki_ote

The bike is balanced very well and the weight was never an issue except when stopped. Off road, I stood the majority of the time because that's just how I ride and it was really comfortable. The pegs suck and need to be replaced. Eventually, I'll upgrade the suspenders. I far exceeded the limits of the stock suspension. After a 13 hour day in the saddle, about half off pavement, my back was talking pretty good.
With the settings adjusted, it felt good and tracked good except for the sharp edged lips. It's just not capable of being progressive enough off road. But hey, we knew that going in. Overall it was better than I expected though and really quite fun until it gets real rough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
ki_ote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
Plane Dr

Twisted throttle has SW motech adjustable pegs. Or I have the knight designs. The adjustable ones look interesting and cheaper too.

Former bikes
2012 Wee, 2005 R1200GS AKA The Mothership, 2003 Z1000 Nuclear Pumpkin, 2001 DRZ470SSW SM/Dirt Experiment, 1986 RG500 WW Gamma smoker, 1984 GPZ900 Ninja, 1974? 754 Chopper (don't ask), 1978 KZ1000 The Cow, 1972 XS650, H1's, H2's, RD's, RM, GT's.......

Old 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #24
Plane Dr

I just wrapped up a road trip on the beast and I have to say it did exceptionally well. So Dallas Tx, to Huntington Beach Ca, San Diego, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Moab, Durango, Dallas. 3990 miles in 12 days. 1 sore *** and 1 set of tires dead.

I left Dallas at 6am Friday and shut down about 10 pm Phoenix time. Just under 18 hours and shy of 1100 miles. Slept on the floor, got up and knocked out the remaining 450 miles to Cali. Elapsed time 33.5 hours for 1500 miles. The bike was awesome It just really didn't care, 90-95 through the desert loaded like a rented mule. I have the 48l Givi outbacks and 40l(?) tailbag then a dry bag with tent etc. I am also of superior dimensions.

The Scorpions started wearing funny just outside Fort Worth and were really toasted by Phoenix. But I pressed on to Cali ordering PR4T's to be drop shipped in San Diego. I "worked" there a couple days and a buddy from Vancouver rode his Harley down to meet me. We drank a lot of beer and headed to San Diego to get the 3rd guy on an FZ07.

I had the tires swapped and hit Lyon's Valley road. Better than the Dragon in my opinion. Then did the Midway carrier tour and headed to Old Town for Mexican (margarita's).

The next day it was a long winding ride to camp in the desert north of Joshua tree. Then a daily trip to Hoover Dam, the the Grand Canyon and up to Arches Nat Park in Moab. We did between 250-350 miles a day. Tented, hoteled, drank copious beer. We separated at Moab and I headed to Durango via Ouray, absolutely OMG beautiful.

I was planning on staying in Durango a couple days but the weather came in so I pressed on to Sante Fe. Santa Fe to Dallas was 660 miles 640 in the rain and cold (50F). Hey it's cold when the temperature jumped 30+ degrees literally in 10 miles when I cleared the rain.

So the factory heated grips, suck. But they functioned way better than not having them.

Suspension, not fantastic better seemed better sorted loaded.

Seat not bad for 8-9 hours but by day 6 I had a Walmart memory foam cushion added. I'd like to bash the seat but I don't think my *** has ever found one up to that level of endurance.

Engine, wow, just wow. My favourite for this duty to date. Getting to like the "growl"!

DCT, awesome. Pulling into LA stop and go and go traffic after 1500 miles and some 24 ish hours of saddle time, it was a life saver.

So 7 months 9500 miles I think it may be a keeper.

Former bikes

Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #25
ki_ote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Dr View Post
I just wrapped up a road trip on the beast and I have to say it did exceptionally well. So Dallas Tx, to Huntington Beach Ca, San Diego, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Moab, Durango, Dallas. 3990 miles in 12 days. 1 sore *** and 1 set of tires dead.

I left Dallas at 6am Friday and shut down about 10 pm Phoenix time. Just under 18 hours and shy of 1100 miles. Slept on the floor, got up and knocked out the remaining 450 miles to Cali. Elapsed time 33.5 hours for 1500 miles. The bike was awesome It just really didn't care, 90-95 through the desert loaded like a rented mule. I have the 48l Givi outbacks and 40l(?) tailbag then a dry bag with tent etc. I am also of superior dimensions.

The Scorpions started wearing funny just outside Fort Worth and were really toasted by Phoenix. But I pressed on to Cali ordering PR4T's to be drop shipped in San Diego. I "worked" there a couple days and a buddy from Vancouver rode his Harley down to meet me. We drank a lot of beer and headed to San Diego to get the 3rd guy on an FZ07.

I had the tires swapped and hit Lyon's Valley road. Better than the Dragon in my opinion. Then did the Midway carrier tour and headed to Old Town for Mexican (margarita's).

The next day it was a long winding ride to camp in the desert north of Joshua tree. Then a daily trip to Hoover Dam, the the Grand Canyon and up to Arches Nat Park in Moab. We did between 250-350 miles a day. Tented, hoteled, drank copious beer. We separated at Moab and I headed to Durango via Ouray, absolutely OMG beautiful.

I was planning on staying in Durango a couple days but the weather came in so I pressed on to Sante Fe. Santa Fe to Dallas was 660 miles 640 in the rain and cold (50F). Hey it's cold when the temperature jumped 30+ degrees literally in 10 miles when I cleared the rain.

So the factory heated grips, suck. But they functioned way better than not having them.

Suspension, not fantastic better seemed better sorted loaded.

Seat not bad for 8-9 hours but by day 6 I had a Walmart memory foam cushion added. I'd like to bash the seat but I don't think my *** has ever found one up to that level of endurance.

Engine, wow, just wow. My favourite for this duty to date. Getting to like the "growl"!

DCT, awesome. Pulling into LA stop and go and go traffic after 1500 miles and some 24 ish hours of saddle time, it was a life saver.

So 7 months 9500 miles I think it may be a keeper.
Like button pushed.

---WITGDHIGOAH---
ki_ote is offline   Reply With Quote