• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, JT and I regularly boil water in the hotel room for coffee (his) and tea (mine) and eat a breakfast bar type thing before heading out. It's like a "pre-breakfast". Gets us up and going and we stop later for a more leisurely (and full) morning meal.

Diff strokes for diff folks!

For the record, JT and I regularly boil water in the hotel room for coffee (his) and tea (mine) and eat a breakfast bar type thing before heading out. It's like a "pre-breakfast". Gets us up and going and we stop later for a more leisurely (and full) morning meal.

Diff strokes for diff folks!

Thank you. And understand but nevertheless bummed at not being able to meet you! Looks like you both had a fabulous time, though!

Water and snacks/food: I’ve only done this trip once but recall bottled water easy to find in town and along most routes. Also, high carbohydrate snacks are prevalent :eat: and protein based are more scarce (in case there are some trail side carnivore needs).

i-bMCq8fD-L.jpg

i-JF5n4hC-L.jpg

i-Nb5tBHr-L.jpg

i-4q5PKWM-L.jpg

Last edited:
Hey David, can't make this one :-(

John and I are just back from MX and we found the same thing--liking the Piedras Negras crossing. Our last night in MX was in Sabinas, at a great hotel-The El Dorado. Recommended.

Yall have a fabulous trip, sounds like you're headed for real adventure.

i would like to hear more about that crossing.

Just tried to do the FFM online. Entered the dates as the four days we'll be in Mexico. It would not accept me as my Passport expires March 2018 which is less than 180 days. Anyone else encounter this?

Looks like I'm off to the consulate in Denver.

Made an appointment at the US State Department in Denver for yesterday. Was in and out in 20 minutes. Will have new passport tomorrow. Super easy.

In a country where the average cook in a small town makes less than $10 a day, and you are travelling in by motorcycle with limited luggage, why would you add cooking to your to do list?

Besides, eating with "your crew" is all part of the Mexico experience. Galeana has all sorts of cuisines. The typical mexican breakfast, trying sweet items from the bakery (Panaderia), trying 20 flavors of the local ice cream (helado), and late night street tacos (tacos tardíos) are all on the must do list.

The last thing you will want to do is sit in a concrete box hotel room cooking oatmeal. I only carry emergency snacks and water with me.

This is so true!
Last year Mextrek, I exchanged $350 before crossing the border. We ate great Mexican food at any little towns we went (I came back to Houston, and couldn’t eat the so called Mexican food here for a while), We drank tequila and beer every nights, we went to some great parks where they charge admission, bought some souveniers, etc. When i came back, i still had about $100 left. Spent $250, riding some of the most amazing places, eating great food (the last big meal was Cabrito, Goat stew, at a little town. And it was just awesome), and having crazy fun with some crazy people for a mere $250 or less. Can’t beat it.

Last edited:
This is so true!
Last year Mextrek, I exchanged $350 before crossing the border. We ate great Mexican food at any little towns we went (I came back to Houston, and couldn’t eat the so called Mexican food here for a while), We drank tequila and beer every nights, we went to some great parks where they charge admission, bought some souveniers, etc. When i came back, i still had about $100 left. Spent $250, riding some of the most amazing places, eating great food (the last big meal was Cabrito, Goat stew, at a little town. And it was just awesome), and having crazy fun with some crazy people for a mere $250 or less. Can’t beat it.

Not to brag on britwheels too much, but he knows what he is talking about, foodwise. He has made his "mark" on the Houston restaurant scene with a churrascaria and upscale korean bbq concepts (that cater to motorcycle riders!!) I get a huge smile on my face thinking of the fine meals and fun friends that ate obscenely good food for brother in law prices. Thanks!!!!

Not to brag on britwheels too much, but he knows what he is talking about, foodwise. He has made his "mark" on the Houston restaurant scene with a churrascaria and upscale korean bbq concepts (that cater to motorcycle riders!!) I get a huge smile on my face thinking of the fine meals and fun friends that ate obscenely good food for brother in law prices. Thanks!!!!

Whoa! Wait a minute, and hold the train!
Having lived in Korea for a good 6-7 years, and visiting every couple of years since, I need to know more about the Houston Korean BBQ that you speak of! It might make me need to visit our Houston office more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold my last guidebook. If there are any last minute takers please don't hesitate to get a hold of Richard, "trail boss", for you copy. These are not only informative, they are nice coffee table conversation pieces and lifetime keepsakes.

This is so true!
Last year Mextrek, I exchanged $350 before crossing the border.

For simplicity, do you recommend exchanging for pesos on our side of the border? Or would you recommend crossing the border with only US $ and finding a location to exchange for pesos.

I am not concerned about the 'best exchange rate'. I am more concerned with keeping it simple and not holding anyone up.

I find doing it here with your bank is the simplest way. Just go in and order the amount you want and it'll typically be there in a day. Also the exchange rate is quite favorable.

One less thing you have to think about once over the border.

BTW, I asked for small bills but I'm not sure that's the best idea. HOLY SMOKE I look like I'm RICH! And they're bulky

For simplicity, do you recommend exchanging for pesos on our side of the border? Or would you recommend crossing the border with only US $ and finding a location to exchange for pesos.

If you don't order pesos from your bank (which I've never done) I recommend exchanging for pesos on this side of the border, preferably the day before you cross into Mexico. There are a number of "Cambios" (Spanish for "change") on the Texas side of the border, making it easy to get it done the evening prior to the morning that you enter Mexico. Note that most aren't open late, so plan on arriving before the Cambios close for the evening.

If you decide to wait till you cross into Mexico, be aware there are no Cambios near the Anzalduas bridge. And every mile that you travel into the interior of Mexico (and away from the border) the more difficult it is to find a Cambio.

I am not concerned about the 'best exchange rate'. I am more concerned with keeping it simple and not holding anyone up.

As stated above by others, If you plan to arrive on Wednesday, do it in Mcallen. For me, I arrived on Wednesday, after checking in to the motel, went into town in Mcallen for dinner, and walked into one of the many Cambio (Exchange) places. And of course, you can order at a local bank, and go back to pick it. For me, exchanging the day before crossing the border was a piece of cake.

My recommendation, don't over-think, don't over-prepare, don't over-pack, don't think of it as a complicated algorithm to decipher. Simple and precise is the way to go..
It is good to be fully prepared, but the fact is that we will be with over 80 people, and many of them have done this for a while, and we will all be looking out for each other, and nobody should be riding alone.
This is my partner last year, David. Guess how much of all he packed in his orange saddle bags he had use for? Maybe 10%. Besides, we had to spend over an hour to fix the frames for his overweight cargo that was falling apart chasing dozens of prairie dogs in the Cienaga del Toro (A must). Don't be this guy!! lol....
He is coming again, this time, he is packing less than 1/3 of what he packed last year.

YiJWaq0.png

Last edited:
Exchanging $ in Galeana

Easiest place i have found is in the Elecktra store. At the back of the store is a bank that is open late.

Also, it's fun to look at the little Chinese bikes for sale there.

(PS. I'm not saying to WAIT til you get to G town to exchange...)

Newby mistake. When I did the TVIP online, I purchased what I thought was mandatory insurance (10 days for $34.11 USD) -- it's NOT mandatory! Chris at MexAdventures confirmed it is not required to complete the online TVIP ("it just looks that way"). Chris @ MexAdv thinks I might be able to cancel the AXA policy and get a partial refund (only $34 but that would be more taco money).

While I assume the insurance that is offered during the TVIP process fulfills the requirement, you might want to verify the differences in coverage. I found the following from a random site (not independently verified).

"If you do decide to get your permit online, please DO NOT check the box to order the auto insurance they offer. There is nothing wrong with the insurance, it is legitimate, it's just that it is substandard. If you get "named peril" (the equivalent of full coverage, though there are differences), you will only be allowed to have your vehicle fixed in Mexico. With any better grade of insurance (like the ones on my site, of course - but there are others), you have the choice of getting repairs done in the USA or Mexico, in addition to getting emergency repairs done in Mexico to get you back on the road. If you have an RV or motorcycle, there is no way in **** you will get it repaired to your satisfaction in Mexico, if only because of the lack of parts."

Last edited:
Oh, I want to go so bad on the ride! Just got to Austin and not yet set up to ride. Next year... Have fun amigos and amigas :rider:

$300 exchanged at a cambio on the US side on Wednesday prior to 7 PM is probably the best route.

The ATM on the square in Galeana will give a fair exchange rate, but charge a $3.50 ATM fee, you'll get an international charge by your bank, So thee rate may not be quite as good.

My son, who lived in Guanajuato Mexico for a good part of this year, would pull 5000 pesos at a time. On 9/15, his most recent withdrawal, he was charged $285.34 (a rate of 17.63 pesos per dollar, plus a rate adjustment fee of $8.56 for a total of $293.30, or 17.01 pesos per dollar. The official exchange rate on 9/15 was 17.6. So he got a fair deal.

Don't know who's been paying attention, but the rate today is up to 18.9 pesos per dollar so we are gonna see rate of about 18 to the dollar this trip!!!!

Last edited:

+1
I love love love the food in MX but frankly the coffee available "most" of the time sucks. Since black coffee is my breakfast and lunch I prefer to french press my own quality java. If staying in a hotel I also take advantage of a shower after finishing my 3-4 cups of coffee and daily evacuation after. Then I'm good for 24 hrs for both 99.9% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back