• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

92 Suzuki DR350S

Reaction score
Ran across this bike setting outside. I had seen it for months, and finally developed enough interest to try to see about acquiring it. I called, then a friend of mine called and actually set up the day to go get it.

It was a sad mess. Front tire was rotten and of course flat. The seat was cracked. The engine coated in layers of oil and dirt. The handlebars looked like they had been landed on and bent back out to keep riding.

Here it is in the shop after I had started stripping parts off and trying to get it to fire.

Notice it has a new battery on it. That nearly doubled the value of the bike.

dr350beginning.jpg

The electrical was pretty grungy. No key, so I drilled out the ignition and shoved a screwdriver in it.

The good thing is, that most of the bike was there. One side cover is missing.

Check out these handlebars..

benthandlebars.jpg

As you can see in the picture, I have drained the oil and am in the process of checking the valve clearance.

startrhside.jpg

It had more than two gallons of oil in it (oil not water). I was responsible for 2 quarts. Everyone had added a quart to it before trying to start it over the years. In fact, I am not sure that is not the reason for the initial parking of the bike.!

It sounded like it was drowning when I removed the spark plug to check for fire.

Fire was obtained after rigging the push button kill switch.

I removed the carb and did an evaluation. Here it is when I actually kitted it.

BTW, these sonic cleaners are great with a little Dawn dish soap...

carbclean.jpg

Most of the parts fit!

carbkit.jpg

And it started!! I got excited and power washed the nasty little piglet.

lhsidefronttireoffafterwash.jpg

Love these glamour shots!

rhfronttireoff.jpg

I even removed the rotten front tire... Did you know a flat tire makes it hard to hold still when you are trying to get on and off... Maybe its just me!

fronttireunmounted.jpg

I got out my custom tire mounting table and proceeded!

The inside of the rim was pretty rough, I cleaned it up with a wire brush on a bench grinder. Not perfect, but good enough!

frontrimcleanup.jpg

The saga continues...

Where were we? Oh, we were changing the front tire. No big deal

I had a spare front tire and tube from my KLR. It gets put to good use on this project.

mountnewfronttire.jpg

Most importantly, I didn't pinch the tube putting this tire on. I spent most of a Saturday morning a few weeks ago in Colorado changing the front tube on the KLR. I pinched it during the last few inches. Still haven't figured that one out. I nearly pushed the tire on by hand, and when I stuck the bar in I didn't even get a chance to check to see if the tube was clear and I heard it leaking.... another story!!

frontiremounted.jpg

I took a quick look at the front brake pads.. Sorry the pic is sideways, but you get the picture... LOL

brakepadsworn.jpg

I remounted the front tire, the brakes will be done soon.

Was looking at the kickstand and how it was hitting the swing arm.

rhscuffsevaluation.jpg

While I was there, I decided to touch up some rusty spots.

rhframepaintblend.jpg

I painted several things that came off easily!

paintsomeitems.jpg

While I was there, I repaired my sloppy kick stand by adding a shim between the forks on the outside. If you look, you can see it there.

kickstand-washer.jpg

More coming. The paint needed time to dry...

While the paint was drying....

I replaced the throttle cables.

Here is a pic of the handlebars. The cables were stuck and already removed from the throttle control.

instrbegin.jpg

A little work and they were installed... I did power wash this thing. Just not under the fuel tank. argh!!!

newthrottlecables.jpg

I didn't like the way the rear grab bar/brace looked, so I removed it and the rear fender.

rearfenderremoved.jpg

I also decided to paint the exhaust. I started to remove it, but I was afraid I would destroy more than I would gain. So, I masked it, or masked at it!

Notice the brake lever and foot peg are removed also. They are getting painted too!

exhausttouchup.jpg

I reinstalled the rear fender and grab bar. The exhaust looks much better now!

afterexhausttouchup.jpg

This thing looks much better. That rotten seat cover has to go!

painttouchupneedsseatcover.jpg

This build thread is going much faster than the evenings I have spent so far!! Soon it will slow down to real time!

Last edited:
We are almost to real time. But, I had to fix the seat cover. I have ordered parts and they are coming in on different days. So when they arrive, I usually install what comes that day.

The seat cover came, so I began...

Sorry no pics of the rotten cover coming off. Just lots of staples and ripping of old vinyl. This cover is from Ebay, it actually worked pretty well.

Here it is just thrown on for encouragement!

seatcoverthrownonfor-looks.jpg

The work begins!

seatcoverinstall.jpg

I am getting closer! I need to pull the front in tight and button down the rear.

seatcoverinstalled.jpg

I couldn't help myself, so I put the seat on and the plastic on the right hand side...

dr350rightside.jpg

This thing is looking better....

I need a left side oem side cover.

dr350leftside.jpg

The next thing is the front brakes... and maybe I will paint the front fender!!

Are you bored yet????

Yesterday evening, I had brake pads. I decided to put them on the front. The test runs I have done in the parking lot have shown not only are the pads thin, but it doesn't want to stop!!!

So, I began by jacking it up and taking the front fender off... what???

frontfenderremovedworkonbra.jpg

I actually did this first to allow time for the paint to dry. Its not near perfect, but at least it is kind of shiny again.... And in case you are wondering, I did sand it a bit.

frontfenderpaint.jpg

Check out these pads!! And yes, I have decided to wear rubber gloves. My hands are cracking from all the chemicals over the last few days... and the subsequent scrubbing.. I think brake cleaner is a hand cleaner... doh!

wornoutbrakepadsreplacing.jpg

Another glory shot of the pads!

oldbrakepads.jpg

In case you are wondering. I just pushed the cylinders in gently after cleaning everything as best as I could. Frankly, I don't expect the master cylinder or wheel cylinder to survive as long as they setup. I will replace them or repair them after I get farther along.

But, at present the front brakes are working.. they weren't before! When you grabbed them at parking lot speeds, they suggested slowing down but didn't offer a solution!

I started to do the rear brakes too, but I am waiting on a new rear tire. I decided to do them both at the same time. I like to do multiple things at once.

I have ordered fork covers, handlebars and some other parts. We will see what arrives today. We may have an update tomorrow...

That's cool! I've rescued about three of these things over the last couple of years. Really regret selling the last one I bought from a member here. It's easy to spend more money than the bike is worth to get them road worthy again!

That's cool! I've rescued about three of these things over the last couple of years. Really regret selling the last one I bought from a member here. It's easy to spend more money than the bike is worth to get them road worthy again!

I haven't tallied my expenditures yet, but I am starting to rack up cost on odds and ends. Part of it is my impatience. Once I start something, I like to go as far as I can. If I stop, I won't finish it... And I don't need anything else setting around unfinished!!

great job. if you need parts, ask before ordering. i & many folks i know have tons

I have ran across some of your threads, here and on another site. It does appear you have a collection of parts. So far, I haven't needed anything but maintenance items and minor bits and pieces.

I am having some trouble with the air box boot to Carburetor. I am going to try one more thing to remedy it. But it appears that the thing sat cockeyed on the input side of the carb so long that it is not wanting to reform and stay on... I even pulled it out and tried it on the bench!

I am looking for an OEM LH side cover!!! I know its a long shot. But, maybe one will turn up..

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. I have enjoyed this little project.

Craig

Last edited:
So, I got a set of handlebars in the pile of miscellaneous things I got today. Please don't tell my wife these parts aren't for work related things!!!!

I chose a pair of cheap bars, they actually worked out pretty good. No commitments to expensive stuff until I see what works and doesn't work on the piglet.

I started by stripping off the goodies from the old well used bars...

1-handlebars-begin.jpg

I painted a few things that were functional, but very faded and looked really bad. The results are fair, but the parts look better than before.

2-repaintthrottleback.jpg

I compared the old bars with new bars for fit and angle. Looks good!

3-comparebars.jpg

I kind of like this look!

4-nobarsbike.jpg

This will work better when I get done. I shifted the bars back and forth to get the throttle assembly and decompression lever perch on each end. I didn't have to totally dissemble them that way.

5-handlebars-progress.jpg

Most people get to blow a little air or maybe cut one side and peel off the old grip. I got to shave this one off piece by piece!

6-removeoldthgrip.jpg

This looks pretty good. I soaped the new throttle grip and slid it on. There was enough rubber left on the slip shaft to grip it once the soap dried. I doubt I can pull it off today. If it slips, the hairspray procedure will work on it. The other side needed glue. There was too much slack to chance it. Besides, I enjoy cutting them off piece by piece.

7-barsareon.jpg

I slipped the headlight plastic back on to get a sneak peek at how it looks. It will come back off for a few electrical repairs I have planned. But, she looks pretty good from this angle!!! Little Piglet has put her lipstick on!

8-finishedbarswithhdltbezel.jpg

UPS just arrived, we will see what I will put on next!!!

I found the steel bars off road bent pretty quickly in a crash with the weight of the bike. I had a off road only model. The forks would also easily twist in a crash. Putting the wheel at a odd angle. I was strictly off road. Aftermarket aluminum clamps stopped the later from happening and ended up with 1 1/8 aluminum bars. That ended the bending of handle bars. IF your just dirt roads and light off orad type of riding the steel bars and stock clamps won't likely be an issue. Good looking so far.

Looks like a sloppy kind stand already got your swing arm. Pretty much does the same on most any ridden DR. A bead of weld, and grinder, and some scott bright will help that issue.

Looks like a sloppy kind stand already got your swing arm. Pretty much does the same on most any ridden DR. A bead of weld, and grinder, and some scott bright will help that issue.

Yes, I can't believe someone didn't take the time to fix it. I put a shim in the kickstand mount to stop the rubbing. Seems to work well so far!

I'm thinking some new fork boots might be a good thing. And fresh oil of course, F and R.

Absolutely needs them. The new boots are sitting on my work table. I haven't had time to update the latest progress, including a several hour test run off-road in some nice mud. It survived, and started easily each time I needed it to.

I have more progress pics, but I have been working on the Texas Redneck Ramble Videos and pics, I even had the little DR at our headquarters to use as a pit bike.

Last edited:
I have not, but ran across several posts that mentioned it. I will definitely check it out!! Thanks!

Craig

I have been trying to buy the Mondo Enduro Video, and it is not available. I will keep looking... I am surprised his website doesn't have it. Amazon has the book..no video.

I need to do a progress report. A few things have been done. I have been slammed with work and other events!

Well, I haven't finished the first project, and a friend of mine tagged me in this little jewel late last nite. It is a parts bike, I think. Offroad version. Pretty sad shape, owner claims it is locked up. I didn't even try to kick it. $150 investment, and it rolled on truck..no brakes LOL.... My truck is tall.

yellowdr350-1.jpg

Ain't she purty...

yellowdr350-2.jpg

I will power wash it and eval to see if it is worth making run.

good score.
they start snowballing after a bit, haha
i have some dirt plastics & other stuff if you need it

good score.
they start snowballing after a bit, haha
i have some dirt plastics & other stuff if you need it

I did remove the plug last nite before I went home. Do you think some WD-40 in the cylinder and a new spark plug will fix this? :trust:

spark-plug.jpg

My phone was having problems focusing, but you can see it ended badly!

I am going to remove the head and see what is destroyed. The engine is definitely seized up tight. This bike might be a candidate for a 383 kit. Or maybe it is just parts...

If I decide to rebuild it, I will see what you have available. It looks like most of it is present.. except the kickstand and the muffler side cover.

23803699228_541ae94aea_b.jpg

i'm dealing with another myself haha

Nice!!! The ones I keep finding are rough looking. I did miss a 1999 SE model a few miles a way from me that was running with current inspection and tags. 1500.00 I just couldn't get there fast enough.

It was probably too nice. I like rescue bikes. They are loyal after you fix them. :trust:

Great thread!! Really inspiring for those of us interested in working on projects.

Back