• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Woodbutcher / Picture a day 2016

Quite an achievement Rusty. I can't imagine the where-with-all it took to complete this body of work.

Scott and I have talked about picking some of our favorites for the year with a description of how and why we took them and why we like them.

Also, maybe some little projects like we've had side discussions in these threads. Like multi-flash shots, Lightroom workflow, shooting insects. Those sorts of things. Actually, it may be time for another photo gathering.

Oh, and here is a synopsis of my day after. Got up and took down decorations in the front yard. Several times my local mockingbird landed near me and I just watched him. While working in the side yard there were several butterflies active and I did nothing but watch them. I ran out for a short 1.5 hour ride and packed a camera, but never stopped. The neighbor kids are lighting fireworks and I only watched. I just saw a cool view of the moon and a planet near it...and I'm very tempted to grab the tripod and go outside, but probably won't. The thought to go shoot a picture is still there, but the urge isn't.

It will come back.

Oh, and here is a synopsis of my day after. Got up and took down decorations in the front yard. Several times my local mockingbird landed near me and I just watched him. While working in the side yard there were several butterflies active and I did nothing but watch them. I ran out for a short 1.5 hour ride and packed a camera, but never stopped. The neighbor kids are lighting fireworks and I only watched. I just saw a cool view of the moon and a planet near it...and I'm very tempted to grab the tripod and go outside, but probably won't. The thought to go shoot a picture is still there, but the urge isn't.

It will come back.

lol.... much the same for me today. Walking out of the house without a camera was, um.... weird. I got over it pretty quickly but still had some "what if" moments. I'm working up something for 2017 which will keep me active. I think.

I just saw a cool view of the moon and a planet near it...and I'm very tempted to grab the tripod and go outside, but probably won't. It will come back.

I saw that awesome moon and planet tonight too. I was tempted to take a pic of it, but did not..

BUT... you n Scott are due for a break, imho. You've been 'on call' all year! And have done an AMAZING job!!!

Thx to both of you for sharing your pics in 2016! Many, many, like me, have enjoyed the ride. "HNY" !! (Happy New Year)!

Or, how about this one, Next time we meet "FCB"!! (Free Craft Beer, on me! lol!)

:clap:

Happy New Year to All TWT's!! From El Paso, and Big Bend to Orange, and Harlingen to Wichita Falls and everywhere in between!

Yeah I was out last night and the moon was almost in line with Venus. It made it appear as if the moon had it's own moon. I was truly wishing I had my camera at that moment. It would have been a great shot. Not a cloud in the sky and a cool night temp ! ! !

Last edited:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done, Rusty, and congrats on completing the project! Thanks for taking us along.

Okay, a story with this picture. Has everybody seen Christmas Story? Remember Ralphie's obsession with the lamp? His comment about the "gleam of electric sex in the window"? Well, my folks have been going through old boxes and offered me some old records. Her description made me think some of my old country and western albums that had gone missing were in there. So, against my wife's wishes, I brought home a book box of records. Turns out that it had some of my sister's, some of mine and all of my folks. I found the Christmas albums of my youth like Harry Belafonte, Perry Como and of course, Bing Crosby. Jackpot. :dude: Amongst them I found my version of Ralphie's lamp. As a kid, when I discovered this album in Dad's collection I realized it was better than finding a National Geographic lying around. I'm sure some of the guys my age already know what album cover I'm talking about. So, here is the collection. Notice it is still in the garage...wife won't let me bring it in yet.

i-TKBCqxW-XL.jpg

One year ago today, Rusty posted this for his Project366 effort. This album cover has made it to my "2018 Shot List". Let's hope I can do it (Whipped Cream, not Bing) justice at some point this year.

One year ago today, Rusty posted this for his Project366 effort. This album cover has made it to my "2018 Shot List". Let's hope I can do it (Whipped Cream, not Bing) justice at some point this year.

FYI, I seem to remember reading that they used shaving cream because it lasted longer.

Back