• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Armored Vest

I'm gonna experiment in stages I think and hopefully by August have it down. Gonna start with the neck coolers and go and get me a new camel pack so I can hydrate whenever I need to. I am going to freeze a bottle of water to take with me to recharge the neck coolers. Then I will move on to the wicking layers then cool vest.

Also gonna have to invest in some textile mesh pants I think, I'll admit that I only wear normal jeans and it was pretty horrible. So maybe mesh pants with the wicking layer underneath will help a lot. Obviously when I'm going its not bad, I will admit my jacket does breath great. But when I am in the middle of downtown or stuck sitting on loop 410 at 5pm and the air/car/pavement/motor temps are around 145 degrees, it sucks! I really appreciate all the comments. I didn't think I would have anyone answer, and this place with its friendliness and knowledge, amazes me everyday!

I'm gonna go against the crowd and vote for the vest. I try to be an atgatt rider, but there are times when it becomes too much for me. Thus, I begin to shed gear. I'd rather be comfortable and alert, than tired from the heat. The argument for protecting elbows, and shoulders is completely valid. We're discussing trade offs, which is a volital subject every summer. In a perfect world, the mesh jacket wins out every time; but once temps get around 100 degrees I need to adapt.

I ride with the idea that I expect to hit the ground. Thus, I wear my gear. Even in just a vest I'd have to assume that I will hit the ground at some point. I accept that risk. Not gonna tap dance around the issue. If you ride, be prepared to fall. I'd still choose the vest even with that in mind. Being a fatigued, over-heated rider seems to pose a bigger risk to my commute.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and vote for the vest.... I'd rather be comfortable and alert, than tired from the heat. The argument for protecting elbows, and shoulders is completely valid. ...

Thats why I suggest the FOX Titan Sport Jacket. Just like a vest but with more armor for the elbows, shoulders, and arms.

I've always wanted one of these... but I usually wear one of these...

I wear a vest in the summer with the understanding that I'm going to take abrasions to my arms if I go down. I wear jeans with the same understanding about my legs. I've been down at 35mph in the vest, taken some forearm/elbow/knee scrape-age, but nothing to write home about. In winter I run an armored FieldSheer textile jacket with the vest over the top.

Everyone has a level of risk they are comfortable with; mine ends at boots/jeans/vest/helmet/gloves as minimum gear, even when I'm caught out in the 110degF on I-30 in standing still traffic and lane splitting becomes an inevitability.

Back