• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking to upgrade helmet

what type of riding will you be doing? if it's just commuting, hill country rides and other day trips that's one thing. if you are going to do long hrs/days the extra comfort can make a difference at the end of the day imo. just another thing to consider.

Did you ever get a new lid?

i went ahead and picked up the CL-16... flat black, solid color.
seems like a dang good helmet..
also picked up the smoke visor for it.

i checked out the IS-16 which is the same helmet with the internal sunshade..wasnt fond of the flip down shade, but i considered it...
but it wasnt SNELL certified so i stuck with the CL-16.
checked out a few different helmets, and even went to cycle gear and tried on a few BILT brand lids... kept going back to the HJC CL-16 as for fit/price/style

Also picked up a CL-16 for the lady also. She got hers with pink/black design, and a matching pink/mirrored visor.

Thanks for all the input, by the way.. i really appreciate it.

HJC and Scorpions are good helmets for the money if they fit you right. I have been thinking about pickup up one of them for autocross since it is so hard to find auto helmets and they start much higher. I have a Shoei RF-900 but it is a Snell 2000 and they have to be 2005 or newer, they are also cheaper than the car helmets.

I think there is only one Snell certified flip-front helmet and that was very recent. I have a Caeberg (now Vemar in the US I think) Justissimo flip-front and it is only DOT certified, just the nature of the flip-front helmets. There is much debate about how Snell rates helmets.

The quietest helmet I have ever had was a Bell Star back in the early 80's, it was also miserably hot since it had no vents and heavy as well. With venting comes noise but it feels so much nicer on the head with a lighter helmet and some air moving around in there. It does pretty much necessitate the use of ear plugs.

Congrats on the new lid.

HJC and Scorpions are good helmets for the money if they fit you right. I have been thinking about pickup up one of them for autocross since it is so hard to find auto helmets and they start much higher. I have a Shoei RF-900 but it is a Snell 2000 and they have to be 2005 or newer, they are also cheaper than the car helmets.

I think there is only one Snell certified flip-front helmet and that was very recent. I have a Caeberg (now Vemar in the US I think) Justissimo flip-front and it is only DOT certified, just the nature of the flip-front helmets. There is much debate about how Snell rates helmets.

The quietest helmet I have ever had was a Bell Star back in the early 80's, it was also miserably hot since it had no vents and heavy as well. With venting comes noise but it feels so much nicer on the head with a lighter helmet and some air moving around in there. It does pretty much necessitate the use of ear plugs.

Congrats on the new lid.
Thanks!

Yeah i was worried about the noise, but actually since i got it, and tested it out on a few rides, it seems ALOT quieter than my other, el-cheapo lid. The Fuel, walmart special. From what i had read previously people thought it was noisy as heck, and attributed it to the fact it has no chin guard/pad whatever its called..
But i find it to be very quiet compared to the old helmet, and i would attribute this to the fact that it fits tighter around my ears.

This could also just be that it is indeed quieter than the Fuel, but still louder than those higher end Shoei's or Arai's.... im not sure what the reviews were comparing to as for noise ratings.
All in all, i am satisfied.

Do yourself a favor and wear earplugs anyway. Do your 20-years-older-than-you-are-now self that favor.

Admittedly, my last HJC was 10+ years ago and I'm sure they've made huge improvements by now. So its good to here you got something you like. That's the key to a good helmet, wearing it. No helmet is worth a dime if you don't use it.

Also, what he said, ear plugs make a huge difference. I had a buddy years back ask me why I did not use ear plugs. Told me is cuts down on fatigue and allows for more concentration. I was skeptical at first, but I tried some. It took a few rides but soon I got used to them and found out that he was right. Now I feel naked without them.

Back