• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

40,000 miles in 40 days

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
To the majority of motorcycle riders this story brings about yawns and exclamations of "what an idiot" and "why would he do that" and "what a waste of gas" and other similar responses.

But to us in the LD riding community, Steve Diederich has just risen to the position of LD God.

The previous world record of 31,000 miles in 31 days has stood for decades, and I don't know how long this one will last.

Much respect...

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=22637c88383948d90c9d28dfdb3e0bae&oe=5B8BCC0A

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he streaming netflix on that big IPAD or just GPS

Its an amazing feat, kind of hard to imagine the weather and other issues he dealt with in 40 days of 1000 mile average days.

I just cant help thinking if I was to ever do something like that I would probably make some kind of route error and come up 20 miles short

Wonder how many oil changes and tires and fuel. Incredible feat. Sponsored by Peroration H sticker on bike could pad the pocket book. :eek2:

Last edited:
Could this be published in the Guinness Book of World Records? Is there such a category for this there?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGHIl03yMHCFC0tiRsu_ULiGOcFjyyTmLsbZV_IlIaxoMmOI8.jpg

Be real interesting to know how he laid out the logistics, how often did he change things out like his gear and helmets, timing for the needed tire changes and oil changes to allow him to keep on schedule.

He will be a great testimony for someone's gear as that many 1000 mile days you cant do in discomfort

Is there more info to the story? Like others have said, it would be cool to hear about the route, logistics, the bike, and any other details.

I would imagine he's running a car tire out back.
Dr Blackbird does that on his wing, and said 20,000 miles plus. Fronts are OK for 10k maybe 15 if your really ontop of air pressure.
Oil changes are a 15 min job. Running a good synthetic 8 to 10 k????

I think it would be interesting to know if it was 40 1000 days or some down days with 1500 mile days.

Bet a lot was in Texas and 80 mph speed limits.

Crazy achievement. Also would like to read more about the preparation and logistics. But crazy he is . . . :)

He wasn't getting alot if sleep if he did close to the speed limit. Had to be mostly interstates with loops around towns. Auxiliary fuel tanks for sure. I want to read the details ok f this ride. Possibly support vehicle?

Be real interesting to know how he laid out the logistics, how often did he change things out like his gear and helmets, timing for the needed tire changes and oil changes to allow him to keep on schedule.

He will be a great testimony for someone's gear as that many 1000 mile days you cant do in discomfort

What he said. Yes be sweet to know the whole story. Any more info TXT?

He wasn't getting alot if sleep if he did close to the speed limit. Had to be mostly interstates with loops around towns. Auxiliary fuel tanks for sure. I want to read the details ok f this ride. Possibly support vehicle?

No way he had a full time support vehicle, that'd be even more maintenance. :)

This is very cool, I'm also very interested to read about the logistics/route/etc.

Edit: Hey, look at that, quick Google found a GL1800 riders page on it.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/421241-40k-miles-40-days-iba-40x40.html

Steve Diederich, the first rider to complete the CCCCCC Insanity - that is Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast to Coast in less than 250 hours - has gone and done it again by setting a new record riding 32 days straight with 32,022 (corrected) miles!

With that record in the books, he is continuing on hoping to make it to 40,000 in 40 days. Keeps in mind, things like breakdowns and tire changes don't stop the ever ticking clock. And change tires he must. Steve is burning a set of Dunlop tires every 7 to 8 days (they don't last long running 17 hour days at interstate speeds in the warm western USA weather).

Last edited:
Ok, let's see if I can answer some of this...

big IPAD or just GPS
I don't know, but most likely GPS

Could this be published in the Guinness Book of World Records?
He said they are going to see if it can be submitted.

We're all waiting for the ride report.

He will be a great testimony for someone's gear as that many 1000 mile days you cant do in discomfort.
LD Comfort base layer.

I think it would be interesting to know if it was 40 1000 days or some down days with 1500 mile days.
I think he might have had a 1200 day or two but I'm not positive he even did that much.

Bet a lot was in Texas and 80 mph speed limits.
And that's a bet you would lose. Here's the link... https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=182c75abc1586b685c

He wasn't getting alot if sleep if he did close to the speed limit.
I think most days were about 16-17 hours which is a typical pace for an Interstate SS1K.

Auxiliary fuel tanks for sure.
Yes, he has a tailtragger with about 4 extra gallons, but when you look at his fuel receipts you'll see that he rarely used up both tanks.

Possibly support vehicle?
Nope.

Those were my first two thoughts.
What we do is not everyone's cup of tea.

Yes be sweet to know the whole story. Any more info TXT?
For those of you on FB... https://www.facebook.com/events/208..._plan_mall_activity&notif_id=1526426536764538

Edit: Hey, look at that, quick Google found a GL1800 riders page on it.
Yep, this is not his first "insane' ride.

I'm actually quite surprised to see so much interest in this ride. I had (wrongly) assumed that most of the replies would be similar to pdef's. It's been refreshing to see.

If you want a more up close and personal look at the IBA and IBA riders you can certainly come see us in the Dallas area in October. I can't release details to the public yet but we'll have our annual Texas get-together that month. It will be about a 3500 mile weekend for me coming from the Phoenix area. If there's interest expressed about this I'll post up more info when it's made public.

Last edited:
Brian, let me know either post it up or PM if you dont want it advertised. I have done several 1000 mile days, never really documented any of them but always interested in the things done to make the distance travel possible.

Brian, let me know either post it up or PM if you dont want it advertised. I have done several 1000 mile days, never really documented any of them but always interested in the things done to make the distance travel possible.

It's only private right now because the rooms are released to the Premier members first. After a couple of weeks or if the hotel sells out they will open it up to the public. That just means that if the hotel is sold out you'll need to bunk elsewhere.

There will be a day of seminars and then a day for both SaddleSore and Bun Burner Gold rides, so if you want to earn your membership you can do the SaddleSore. It's structured so you know exactly where to go and you'll get your certificate the next evening at the party.

But you MUST be signed up for the event in order to ride the SS.

You can also do a SS "to" the event and as long as you follow all the rules and cross your Ts and dot your Is you can have an IBA member sign off on your final witness form. If you do this and the ride meets the criteria you'll also receive your certificate for this at the party.

Here's the rules: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/

When the info goes public I'll post that link too.

Insane. Wonder if he has one of those genetic "disorders" that lets him sleep for a few hours a day and come out the other side fully refreshed. I'd give my left nut for something like that. Sleep is such a waste of time...........

But to us in the LD riding community, Steve Diederich has just risen to the position of LD God.

40/40ths is truly a great accomplishment. I love to ride but couldn't imagine enjoying that.

But since there can be only one God that would have to be Nick Sanders in my book. What he has done is just insane.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

IMHO an amazing feat no matter how you cut it, awe and congrats to Mr Diederich.

Sub'd in hopes that more links / info on other than social media will be posted here as they come available (thanks, cheez, for the gl1800 riders link ;-)

Those were my first two thoughts. :loco:

We had a brief discussion about this run on the Dust Bowl Beemers group, and I surmised that past a certain point, accomplishing such a feat isn't about riding or motorcycles at all. There's something else going on there mentally. Either way, it's a noteworthy accomplishment. But I am curious as to the true psychological drives behind doing it.

We had a brief discussion about this run on the Dust Bowl Beemers group, and I surmised that past a certain point, accomplishing such a feat isn't about riding or motorcycles at all. There's something else going on there mentally. Either way, it's a noteworthy accomplishment. But I am curious as to the true psychological drives behind doing it.
While I'd not discount the motorcycling aspect completely I do agree that there's likely a lot more than just that involved in motivating the feat.

I see and read about lots of noteworthy accomplishments and invariably share your curiosity about what really drives folks to undertake those .... while at the same time wondering if I'm really capable of ever fully understanding.

Heck, though officiating for 15 years with the CMRA, never having been driven to enter a track as a competitor myself I still don't presume to really understand what motivates folks to participate in that sport (though the 'study' was / is one I find very compelling). My time with, and acutely observing, racers 'up close' has left me with the firm belief that in many cases their drive has relatively little to do with the motorcycles per se; I think that they're often just a 'tool' for satisfying some deeper urge (IMHO more often than the 'casual observer' might think).

For me, just as your comments about this 40/40 ride indicate for you, even recognizing that in no way reduces the noteworthiness of their accomplishments as motorcycle racers / riders.

Last edited:
GOOD LAWD...I have done 800 one day, and 5 the next, and I was beat. I can't even imagine 40k. That is just amazing, unthinkable. Just wow.

Back