• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

VFR1200X Owners Thread

Took a bit, but finally ended up with one in the garage:

45032945-2057392497711460-3374057364922564608-n.jpg

Those guys are not normal, something wrong with them, lol.

No Jarrett, we're going up that. Remember you told me you like going up more than down. No...you don't have to thank me.

I'm about 2.5 months into owning the VFR1200X and still really digging it. So much so that I just realized that I haven't ridden the Africa Twin since November. Every outing since then has been on the VFR.

The VFR gives me the performance I was hoping for when I got into motorcycles, coming from modified jetskis. The DCT on it is not as smooth as the Africa Twin, but the power difference is pretty intoxicating. I didn't realize how big the difference was until MisterK surprised me with a drag race in downtown Mexia :)

I've just decided the VFR is going to be my pavement bike. Although, I've been down some gravel roads on it and it was fine. Not as comfortable as the AT there, but doable. I plan to make the Africa Twin my dedicated off pavement bike for rides that I know I'll be spending a good part of the time there.

The only mods I've done to the VFR have been adding an OEM Center Stand and Knight Design Lowered Footpegs. It had a Delkevic aftermarket exhaust on it when I got it. I wasn't a fan of the exhaust at first, but it has grown on me. The bike really growls. Otherwise, I feel like its a pretty nice bike in stock form and don't plan on making any more changes to it at this point.

I've got the itch to take it on a long pavement ride this year. Arkansas or Colorado or something. Still deciding where.

Just thought I'd update this for all what 3 of us? Haha.
So in the last year I have added a 2" bar riser, CalSci large screen, and the heavenly Russell Sport seat. Last year was a light year with so much going on, but just crested 18K on this thing and still loving it. 2020 will see another high mile tour since my butt is now as happy as the rest of me!

Just sold mine last month to another forum member.

Very nice bike, the longest I've kept one so far, at 13.5 months :)

With the proceeds, I got a leftover 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCa. It's a little lighter/faster/more nimble with more modern creature comforts.

Justa note here......MrgreenGenes isnt a TWT member....or any other forum for that matter.. But he has been a good friend of mine for many years now.
He's also owned GoldWings since the late 70s....but decided to try the VFR as a possible lighter replacement.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I want one. I've owner two GSA's and put 125 k on them. But I'm gonna go down and ride a used 1200x next week. Anything I should look out for? Is this thread still alive :-)

I want one. I've owner two GSA's and put 125 k on them. But I'm gonna go down and ride a used 1200x next week. Anything I should look out for? Is this thread still alive :-)
The engine is buttery smooth, but mine has the well documented ‘snatch’ at low speeds. It’s something to do with the throttle by wire response. Any little bump makes the rpm jump a little which has made off-road riding tricky but still doable. Suspension from factory is probably off for what you need but there are very propylaea settings on the crosstourer.com forum. It feels very much like a sport touring adventure bike than a straight ADV. Downshifting and engine braking feel amazing. I did a couple 800-1000 mile days from Texas to Vermont and back. Bike never missed a beat doing ‘exactly the speed limit’. What else do you want to know?
C49E4BEE-3AF6-4990-BE96-D04BF61C4D6A.jpeg

Justa note here......MrgreenGenes isnt a TWT member....or any other forum for that matter.. But he has been a good friend of mine for many years now.
He's also owned GoldWings since the late 70s....but decided to try the VFR as a possible lighter replacement.

& hes been plenty happy with it so far....

Got mine last year in Katy, NOS bike from Wild West. Its been flawless!

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 101
There is a nice used one in Katy Tx. @ Iron Supply . Saw it get traded in about 6 weeks ago by a big man . It was still there Saturday 5/8/22

I'd still like a VFR 1200x DCT but the prices for these BRPs are still too high for a Texas behemoth (choose sex so I insult wokely). They are overweight, underequipped but very smooth V4 street tourer. Just what I need with DCT.

Ed....there was a lo mile 2017 DCT that popped up on ADVrider for $10.5K in FL
With a long list of goodies no less.....
& that list included MCCruise!!

It was gone within a day.

dang. that would have been it... I'm now considering ATs as well with DCT and they have some advantages (weight) but no motor like the vfr has. Sheesh.....

Ha Mine is not going anywhere. I picked up a little brother for it (KLR). Switching between the 2, I can't help but still love what a beast the VFR is. I did 170 miles 2 up Sunday and it was a delight.

Id love to ride one sometime as a longtime honda vfr fan. I decided against the lack of tech, amenities and top heaviness, and went back to another gsa, in fact a 2016. Its amazing honda so underestimated the market. I still love them though and may own one someday, who knows.

Id love to ride one sometime as a longtime honda vfr fan. I decided against the lack of tech, amenities and top heaviness, and went back to another gsa, in fact a 2016. Its amazing honda so underestimated the market. I still love them though and may own one someday, who knows.
I went the opposite way, from a VFRx to a 16 GSA. I loved the engine on the Honda, but they did a disservice to the bike and left off all the necessities that it needed. No seat adjustments, typical bad suspension, no cruise, no abs modes, no accessory support for USA, etc. It was great for short rides, but when going 600-1000 miles in a day, it was a grind. The GSA makes it so much easier, plus I can take it off road through single track terrain without any worry.

Well i love my third gsa (a 2016). But you must be one ²heck of a rider to take it on single track !

Back