• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Best exhaust for drz that doesnt wake the dead.

Reaction score
Just purchased a drz with almost factory exhaust. It has a new free flowing tip and spark arrestor. I'm about to do a 3x3 mod and rejet it. Is the new tip going to flow enough to make a difference, or do I just need to go ahead and buy exhaust. My last drz had a mrd exhaust and it was a power house but way too loud for me. Is there a substitute with good power but not quite as loud?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just put a FMF Q4 silencer and Powerbomb header on my DR-Z400S. I also have the 3x3 mod, JD jets, K&N filter and the FMF Snap for the airtube between the airbox and the carb throttle body. Can tell the difference in performance.
AND to answer you original question, it is not excessively loud. I also didn’t want that.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I just put a FMF Q4 silencer and Powerbomb header on my DR-Z400S. I also have the 3x3 mod, JD jets, K&N filter and the FMF Snap for the airtube between the box and the carb throttle body. Can tell the difference in performance.
AND to answer you original question, it is not excessively loud. I also didn’t want that.
Good luck.
Thanks

The Yoshimura pipes sound much quieter than the MRD. I love my MRD, with a big bore it is almost mandatory.

IMG_1271.jpg

You would love the Leo Vince light - quiet - good power and it comes with exchangeable inserts.

I'm not familiar with the Leo Vince light. I'll check it out

I see on mrd's website that for 20$ you can add a quite insert. Anyone ever used one, does it cut much power?

I contacted mrd about their quite inserts and this is their response.
"Hi , the quiet insert makes them quite a bit quieter , its huge at full throttle , but the power loss small , a lot of guys cant tell the diff in power*"

I think I will give it a try.

Mrd is a nice setup but is too loud for me. I prefer the sound of the yoshimura exhausts. But I run a old two brothers slip on that’s not too loud.

MY DRZ has a full Yosh system and dynojet carb kit on it and it isn't as loud as the FMF on the my XR650.

Last edited:
I see on mrd's website that for 20$ you can add a quite insert. Anyone ever used one, does it cut much power?

I didn't feel much difference in power. Doug thought he did but now we suspect it was other things. That said, it was still pretty loud. It is a sweet exhaust but it is by no means quiet. It is probably the reason my "new" DRZ is staying stock on the exhaust.

I didn't feel much difference in power. Doug thought he did but now we suspect it was other things. That said, it was still pretty loud. It is a sweet exhaust but it is by no means quiet. It is probably the reason my "new" DRZ is staying stock on the exhaust.
Was it still louder than a yosh system?

I have no basis for comparison on that.

Understand, I would 100% recommend the MRD system, just not for someone looking for something quiet. :D

The MRD was significantly louder than a yosh. Add the quiet insert it's about the same. I noticed a power drop with the quiet insert. But I flogged mine like the mule it was till it went bang.

The Muzzy was on par with the Yosh but maybe a tick quieter. The newer Muzzy was quieter than the original.

FMF was the general choice for people who quiet. I never heard a Leo Vince.

stock can with restrictor drilled out. really cheap and easy and sounds better but not loud, not sure on power but I did richen mine.

Even the best most expensive exhaust will only give you a smidge of power in ideal situations, its all looks and sound anyway.

It is hard to beat a Yoshi for build quality AND sound quality. They are always quieter than mrd, drd, 2bros, big gun, fmf to name a few. Super trapp with baffles and end plate is usually quieter but they often sound like farting through a stack of paper plates with the baffles and end plate on.

I have had several Yoshi, severl fmf, a big gun, 4 super trapps, 2 2bros, and an akropovic. Only the akro compares and that is at twice the price

I have a MRD/SSW on my 434. I really can't tell any difference with or without the silencer. It may be slightly more quiet with the silencer, but it's negligible. Very loud either way, but it is acceptable if you stay off the throttle while going through quiet areas. But the good news is the bears can hear you coming when riding in bear country.

I dunno about power. I put my engine in a cooler for 2 weeks and sent it to Colorado. Call it a scouting mission. Installed it and the MRD and I swear it had like 57hp. ?

I don't have a DRZ, I have a little CRF250L - but had similar issue. I put a full Yoshi system on it and although it sounds great it's loud, especially on long rides.

I bought a $14 universal baffle (stainless) on eBay and figured out how to fit it into the Yoshi pretty easily. It actually worked nicely ... and I can remove it or add it in about 5 minutes. Those baffles may fit in DRZ add-on exhausts, too.

I put a video of it here ... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSiIpdMW-8"]CRF250L with full Yoshimura exhaust plus silencer / muffler baffle - YouTube[/ame]

Back