• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire and Chain Thoughts--DL650

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
September is quickly approaching for our trip to Glacier and points out west. The trip mileage appears to be somewhere in the area of 5200 miles plus or minus.

In preparation I need to replace tires and chain/sprockets on my 2014 DL650. I'm a huge fan of Micheline Pilot Road 4 Trails, but it appears Michelin has discontinued them. I have dug around online and it appears the Anakee 3 is the closest substitute that get the best reviews. I'm not a fan of Bridgestone and will not pay Metzler prices. I'm going to see if Patrick at MU can get a set of PR4T but want an option. Any thoughts?

The chain and sprockets need to be replaced as well. Thoughts on which brands might work best?

Thanks for any thoughts/recommendations.

I don't recall there's much difference between the price of an Anakee 3 and a Metzeler Tourance Next; I think it was $4 when I bought a Metzeler rear tire in the spring. I like the Metzeler better, but it's pretty subjective in my case. Some people complain that the Anakee 3 gives a creepy sensation in a lean, when you transition from the center of the tire to the rubber on the sides.

I have a Next on the rear, and an older style Tourance on the front.

For chains, I have always been a fan of DID and their x-ring chains. Sprockets, I could take or leave most of them as long as they are a good quality steel sprocket for street bike use.

Last edited:
Back