• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Universal lens cap

Cool. I see they sell them on Amazon. I could see buying one of those for travel purposes. May be a little slower than using a conventional lens cap for the camera on your shoulder. Once you remove your lens from the camera, anything's better than those plastic thingies that screw on the back of the lens.

Since nobody builds conventional camera cases anymore, perhaps they can make something that stretches over a camera body to give it at least a little protection for when you're in motion with an expensive camera swinging around your shoulder.

I've been watching this whole process since their kickstarter started. I'm not convinced that they are worth it, expecially when camping or hiking. I don't want to be on the chains at Angel's Landing in Zion trying to wrestle a piece of silicon off of my lens to catch that once in a lifetime photo.

The reviews on Amazon are a mixed bag. You seem glowing 5-star from the people who probably take 5 photos a month. Those who have real world application and experience give it 1-3 starts in general.

I fully understand the utility, I just think it has more application in more mundane uses.

Just speaking my $0.0175.

And I agree w/Tim 150%. I would love to have a silicon glove for our 2 A6000's. It scares the crap out of me everytime one of us is in a precarious position and could accidently drop the camera a few feet and destroy it when we're 1000 miles from home.

Cool. I see they sell them on Amazon. I could see buying one of those for travel purposes. May be a little slower than using a conventional lens cap for the camera on your shoulder. Once you remove your lens from the camera, anything's better than those plastic thingies that screw on the back of the lens.

Since nobody builds conventional camera cases anymore, perhaps they can make something that stretches over a camera body to give it at least a little protection for when you're in motion with an expensive camera swinging around your shoulder.

I do have one like that for my D40. I haven't gotten around to getting one for the D90. Called Camera Armor
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Digital-Camera-Skins/ci/12670/N/4075788779

We've basically abandoned our D90. It's a **** to take on long motorcycle trips. And so far the A6000's both work much better. 1 is set up with Minolta manual lenses. The other is set up with a Sony zoom or a Sigma 19mm.

Part of me wants to sell the D90, but we couldn't get anything for it I think.

Now that's interesting. I've never seen one of those. Obviously not as much protection as the old fashioned leather case, but it does cover some vital areas, enough to absorb the shock of a casual bump against a tree or whatever.

Darrell, that's kind of what I thought. Since I haven't used one of these, the jury's out as to how long it takes to cover or uncover a lens in real life. I usually keep my lens cap on, and can snap it off & in under a second & let it dangle by the tether while I get off a quick shot. If it took much longer to remove the KUVRD, I'd probably find myself just leaving my lens uncovered while hiking. Plus, there's the added time of stashing it somewhere - unless you simply drop it on the ground - since this gizmo doesn't really lend itself to attaching with a tether. So I guess I see it more as a storage device. Whether or not I could really safely roll my Sigma 18-250 down a rocky hillside or douse it in the Mississippi river -- well, I'll let one of you guys test that out. :mrgreen:

Darrell, I hear you about big SLRs and motorcycling. I nearly gave my D60 up for a while, but when I leave it home, I miss it too much. I never change lenses while traveling; the 18-250 covers all my needs. Not the world's greatest lens, but I'm not the world's greatest photographer either, so we're evenly matched. The Nikon fits in my tank bag. I'm well aware that in a crash it probably won't survive. But insurance should cover it.

I also bought a Canon SX-something last year. Slightly larger than a pocket camera, and takes excellent pictures. So far, I haven't brought myself to leave the Nikon home, though.

We took 1 of the A6000's last year on the 4500 mile trip out west. It was so much more convenient and less cumbersome when hiking into the Grand Canyon. I would not have wanted to schlep the D90 up Angel's Landing in Zion either...it was all I could do to keep from dropping the Sony. :eek2: And honestly from our skill level, I think the photos with both the Minolta old school lenses and Sony kit zoom were on par with what we could have gotten with the D90.

If I could sell the D90 + flash + 2 lenses and recoup a decent return I would do it in a heartbeat. I guess mirrorless stole my heart. ;-)

Back