• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Lake Erie Loop

Hope you guys are still serious about this. I am getting a couple of bikes ready for a good ride next year.

I just put a set of tapered steering bearings in my ct90. After that, I fixed wiring issues at the tail light. It probably could use a carb but I would ride it 200 or more miles as is.

My CM200T project progresses. My first valve adjustment seems to be effective and I expect my 70 mpg to increase a little. This bike probably needs a crankshaft oil seal to be mechanically sound. Problem with it is finding a luggage rack or fitting panniers. Gabe offered custom welding and that might be the best route. Ever notice how hard it is to get accessories like racks for vintage bikes?

I'm hopeful!

Around Toledo Bend would be another one to consider. Even cutting it short by using the Pendleton bridge. I would favor Marie's suggestion on the timing of the event to keep the speed right. But then you always have the ones in like a SLOW race at a meet that don't get the word and think it's a drag race. 8^).

West Texas, Big Bend area is another choice for the same reason many go fast out there - little traffic. On a small bike you tend to watch the mirrors more than the road.

How much traffic is there around Toledo Bend on a weekend?

Didn't know of the Lake Erie run? May have to go up there for it....and also watch for any developing run in Big Tex.:rider:

Here is a similar route around Sam Rayburn-

rayburn.jpg

I could not find a way to limit the route to FM and CR though. Where is that option?

Can this one be re-routed to stay off 59 from Nac to Lufkin?

Bump.

I have worked all winter and into this Spring to get ready. Most would have their bikes ready by now. I don't.

After replacing the crankshaft oil seal on my cm200t I took it out a couple of weeks ago with RickMillerTX to east Texas near Hawkins. It ran perfectly but since has developed another oil leak. I have already replaced all three seals and it looks like I have to open it again and redo one of the repairs.

We drove for 90 miles over two days being a little limited by the speed and shifting of the CT90. I found that the cm200 (1980) has to have a backrest and the seat needs a ridge removed from the middle.

The other cm200 that I have needs timeserts for the plug holes + the same problems with the seat and back support. I have removed tank, wires, seat and all so that I can remove the engine and take it to a shop who can remove the head and repair it.

Still, I am making progress (spending money) so that I can do a ride like this. How are you guys small bikes coming?

After replacing the crankshaft oil seal on my cm200t I took it out a couple of weeks ago with RickMillerTX to east Texas near Hawkins. It ran perfectly but since has developed another oil leak. I have already replaced all three seals and it looks like I have to open it again and redo one of the repairs.
That's just painful to read. I don't overly enjoy working on these kinds of things, and having to redo it is the worst. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working on the bike when things go right, but for me that happens so rarely. :rofl: In fact, it seems like your situation hits very close to home for me.

My bike isn't small enough, but still would be fun to take on this ride. The little B4 is up and running and had some fun on the last pie run, but it needs new tires and some stuff sorted with the carbs.

I have carb rebuild kits on the way. I hope that clears up the issues I have been having.
But I am still having headlight/taillight issues that have confounded me. I just need time to investigate and time is a commodity I have little of these days with 3 kids playing ball along with scouts, piano, dancing, etc.

:-?

I have carb rebuild kits on the way. I hope that clears up the issues I have been having.
But I am still having headlight/taillight issues that have confounded me. I just need time to investigate and time is a commodity I have little of these days with 3 kids playing ball along with scouts, piano, dancing, etc.

:-?

Is yours an "always on" headlight? Last time I had to limp home on the cm200t I unhooked the high beam. Now I set it on high beam when I worry the battery is struggling. All the small Hondas have problems keeping the battery charged under about 2300 to 2500 rpm. That is also where they spend most of their running time.

I do have 6v led taillight. Check out superbrights.com for leds.

That's just painful to read. I don't overly enjoy working on these kinds of things, and having to redo it is the worst. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working on the bike when things go right, but for me that happens so rarely. :rofl: In fact, it seems like your situation hits very close to home for me.

My bike isn't small enough, but still would be fun to take on this ride. The little B4 is up and running and had some fun on the last pie run, but it needs new tires and some stuff sorted with the carbs.

The bandit would be welcome. In fact the Bandit might enjoy being the big fish in a small pond!

I am with you about the wrenching. Some is ok but not when the best riding of the season is getting away. These loop rides are best BEFORE school gets.

Is yours an "always on" headlight? Last time I had to limp home on the cm200t I unhooked the high beam. Now I set it on high beam when I worry the battery is struggling. All the small Hondas have problems keeping the battery charged under about 2300 to 2500 rpm. That is also where they spend most of their running time.

I do have 6v led taillight. Check out superbrights.com for leds.

The brake light works but the taillight does not. The low beam headlight does not work but the high beam does.

The bulbs in question work on both settings when hooked up manually to a battery. I have tested the wires between the various components and they check out.

I have a suspicion that the problem is in the right handlebar assembly or the keyswitch.

I am with you about the wrenching. Some is ok but not when the best riding of the season is getting away. These loop rides are best BEFORE school gets.
I'm here to tell you that arguing with insurance companies while the best riding season is getting away sucks just as bad.

Well I missed this year! Still want to do a lake loop but had an oil leak problem that I had to fix 3 times. 200 miles into the last repair, I think the crankshaft seal on my 1980 Twinstar is going to hold. All I need now is some kind of luggage rack and sheepskin or bead to keep me from sticking to the seat.

Funny how some of us sort out bike errors in a weekend while others (me) can take a year. But with vintage bikes, patience is part of the game.

I wish we could get a vintage group together for rides. While I feel welcome when DS events and pie runs are put together, I am uncomfortable with the speeds necessary to keep up. Any one else out there prefer the slow roads with vintage bikes or small scoots?

Even though my bike is an 06 model, I'm vintage. Does that qualify?

Sure, as long as that Duc is geared to max out at about 50 mph, it will fit right in.;-)

OK, let's ride. My vintage bikes are as ready as they are ever going to be. I am up for riding either the ct90 or cm200t. I consider my SL350 too big.

Anyone want to ride around a lake?

bump.

Forget lake Erie, let's ride a Texas Lake like the above post.

Back