• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

10th Anniversary Arkansas Loop

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Somehow I convinced my wife to go on a 3-day dual-sport loop for our 10th anniversary. The subject of how I accomplished that is the source for another thread. :trust:

We departed Longview on Thursday evening and made our way to Queen Wilhelmina Lodge near Mena, AR. I've been to Arkansas several times, but never with my wife, Heather. On previous trips I've stayed at Mack's Pines, no-name hotels, and a few campgrounds. Having my better half meant we needed to kick the lodging up another another notch. I need to stop here and say she camps like a champ, but it's an anniversary trip right!?

We arrived at the Lodge on Thursday before sunset. What a view! Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. The restaurant is good, rooms reasonably priced and the view is great. Plus there is a free place to park the truck for a few days. Score!

Friday saw us starting North toward Ft. Smith.

1723_zpsuzm7qw7k.jpg

After a few paved twisties we immediately found the dirt.

1726_zpsqx4pkcmo.jpg

My ride for the trip is an XR650R.

1725_zpsgqu6lxbt.jpg

Mi esposa rides a CRF250L. It doesn't have much getty-up, but she's still getting used to a full-size bike after spending many years bossing around a modded TTR 125. We lowered the CRF with a Kouba link, seat concepts seat, and dropped the forks ~.75". You can also see the modified kick-stand...just cut and reweld.

1744_zpsckezyg7n.jpg

Part of our route navigated around an old strip-mine (I think). The road was "stripe mine rd", so that seems like a good bet. Don't be fooled by the no access signs. Garmin says the road goes through and we came across some people running their dogs too.

1741_zpsyxekzolc.jpg

Above the strip mine the road deteriorated into more of a trail. Heather says the difference between a "road" and a "trail" is that on a road you don't have to pick a line. Good point. A few rocky spots with baby-head sized boulders kept things interesting. I was even looking back to make sure she was okay and stalled it on a ledge. Here she comes and brrraps right by me. Nice. Getting passed by your wife on a bike with 1/3 the size engine makes a guy know his place!!

1754_zps6yp2ptxq.jpg

We climbed higher and higher and into the clouds.

1760_zpsaaj6eums.jpg

Coming down the other side...

1761_zps7trefild.jpg

A few more miles and we broke through and headed to Ft. Smith. We gassed up and got lunch at Braum's. For the life of me I can't understand why we don't have a Braum's in Longview. They'd make a killing here. After a good burger and a shake we headed out of town and made our way on to more interesting routes. :rider:

1770_zpsi9dpupyh.jpg

Last edited:
That is absolutely awesome that she rides with you! :clap: Sure looks like fun :thumb:

Looks fantastic! I haven't been back to the lodge since they renovated a few years back. Can't wait to try it out.

So Warloop gave Heather some trouble. Big bike and barely able to touch lowered her confidence a bit. We made it up to the top of the hill and took a break. No pics.

On we moved and lots of great scenery. There are several one-lane bridges on this route.

1771_zpsieoxwxsd.jpg

1789_zpsslubuhud.jpg

The route we did on Friday was a little ambitious in length. With the sun setting we turned onto more trail than road. Fortunately there were go arounds for the big puddles. You never know when someone's been through there wallowing out the puddles with 44" tires. It was getting dark, but we pulled into our lodging just after dark.

The 100w 8" racelight lit the trail.

1783_zpse3eokeqg.jpg

We stayed at a rental house that I found off google. It's named Cedar Rock Lodge. We were pleased.

1787_zpsfgdfdbmh.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good time.

very nice Routes up through NW AR and ONF nice write up too ! hoped to be back up around nw ar in April. safe travels.

Back