• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Silverton, CO Area July - Lodging Recommendations?

Reaction score
So I am meeting some friends in family in Silverton this summer to ride all the passes and some single track!

Very likely will be pulling up a 28' toy hauler camper. Wondering if any of you have some recommendations on campgrounds / RV Parks?

So I am meeting some friends in family in Silverton this summer to ride all the passes and some single track!

Very likely will be pulling up a 28' toy hauler camper. Wondering if any of you have some recommendations on campgrounds / RV Parks?

If camping there is a KOA-type place in the south of town.

If you don't mind driving up and down Molas Pass I strongly recommend the Molas Campground. You will need reservations. I basically grew up camping and hiking there, and it is fantastic. Be sure to have warm sleeping bags, even in summer.

Nice I'll take a look at Molas.

Luckily we'll be in a camper with a heater if/when the temps drop!!

The temps WILL drop, starting as soon as the clouds go behind the mountains. A little closer to the pass is Little Molas lake on the west side of 550. It's free, but has no facilities except pit toilets and camp sites.

free,

If you are really nice to me I might be persuaded to reveal some incredible fly fishing spots.
However, they take work, and no motorcycles allowed....ever caught a wiley cutthroat trout?

We stayed here last summer... in July. Yep, gets cool in the morning and after sunset.

Silverton Lakes

It was pretty good as RV places go. Very friendly and helpful folks running the place. You'll be within a stones throw of the road going up to Animas Forks. AF is like the Atlanta airport - where ever you're headed seems to always take you through there.

Jeep and ATV trails are in every direction but finding righteous single track around there may take some travel. The ride up Kindall mountain is a hoot and the view down onto Silverton is epic.

Dang $28 daily for a tent site? I'm in the wrong bidness.

Lol! Short tourist season high in San Juan County, Colorado! TEXANS need to pony up to play. Worth the cost of admission though. Wait until you buy some groceries in Silverton....

Lucy, we don't fish...but thanks for the offer!!

Those who have stayed at Silverton Lakes, did you make reservations? If so how far in advanced? Were looking at going from July 5-9

EDIT: Just talked to the guy at Silverton Lakes...hopefully I didn't wait to long to make reservations. He is calling me back to see if he has a spot for our crew.

Last edited:
I have been looking at doing some riding over the passes east of Silverton. Might stay in Lake City and ride down to Silverton. About 40 miles and it is "supposed" to take around 2 hours to do.
Could do the loop. Dolores to Telluride to Ouray to Silverton to Durango and back to Dolores. That is pretty much an all day thing.

Go here....

_-mGa9NynlH3lN11kyZjaNQg72fFGQdd9MiGPBuv0uEhCIoBY4C8DMOP2buG9c62YJGhR-e6eqT1zw6jpPN30jzf49bEYtBA.png

The owner is an off-roader (DRZ400) and knows TWT. He comes down in the winter to ride with us in Terlingua. THE BEST doggone funnel cakes that I know of. :eat:

Oh man I freaking love me a funnel cake!!!!!

Called Silverton Lakes and made a reservation!!! They were about booked up for July. We got the last spot avaliable for the stretch of days we want!

Good for you. Glad you got a spot, pack some warm clothes for after dark it will get chilly.

I plan on going to the Western Slope Norton riders get together in June. Visit the Colorado Norton Works shop in Dolores and maybe the Vincent shop there too.
I love old bikes as you can tell.

Silverton is a great place to headquarter. Ouray is a great place to headquarter. Lake City is a great place to headquarter. And then there is,,,,,,,,,,,,a lifetime supply of awesome CO places to stay. Don't wait, get started NOW!

Silverton is a great place to headquarter. Ouray is a great place to headquarter. Lake City is a great place to headquarter. And then there is,,,,,,,,,,,,a lifetime supply of awesome CO places to stay. Don't wait, get started NOW!

Anyplace in the high cool of the Rockies is preferred to the heat of the desert in the summer time.

If you're looking for places to eat, my son-in-law and his brother have a couple of relatively new restaurants in Telluride and Ridgway named Taco del Gnar. They serve what I refer to as gourmet tacos...pork belly, Korean short rib, etc. They are both from Keller, TX originally.

I stayed at the Eureka Mill campsite but I do not remember how much it was unfortunately. It was a nice site with a heck of a cool ride on a dirt road nestled into the mountains.

http://i.imgur.com/LolzOuD

(Edit: Wow that was big, sorry about that!)

free,

If you are really nice to me I might be persuaded to reveal some incredible fly fishing spots.
However, they take work, and no motorcycles allowed....ever caught a wiley cutthroat trout?

Free at Little Molas lake campground. They also have some pull through campsites. No elect.
IMG_1161.jpg

view from our tent site
P9120217_0231.jpg

Man that looks incredible!!!

I am so excited. I grew up at the base of Pikes Peak, and as a teenager (after moving to Phoenix) went back and did 2 50+ miles back pack trips through the area. Can't wait to do it on the dirt scooter!!

Man that looks incredible!!!

I am so excited. I grew up at the base of Pikes Peak, and as a teenager (after moving to Phoenix) went back and did 2 50+ miles back pack trips through the area. Can't wait to do it on the dirt scooter!!

I retired from the City of Phoenix. Used to back pack outside of Creed, that will wear you out!
John in Granbury

Back