• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nighttime illumination

So, I replaced my 'old' helmet with a Nifty New One from Lone Star BMW in Austin, and saw some reflective arrows which I'd read about elsewhere.

Here's a fuzzy shot, as I didn't want to use the flash.
64094662-M.jpg

With the flash, from a few feet away.
64094651-M.jpg

Now, if actual night conditions are anywhere close to this, then that's a head check! :sun:

(oh, yeah, the helmet is VERY comfy, and once I get the hang of the scary shield changing mechanism, a nice total package).

I noticed in the Daytona Prototype races the other day, there were drivers wearing Arai helmets, but they didn't have the little covers on the visor like the MC helmets do. Their auto/kart helmets don't use them.

Paul, be careful with the vents on those helmets. They are a tad fragile ;-)

Tourmeister said:
Paul, be careful with the vents on those helmets. They are a tad fragile ;-)

Thx, I see where you're coming from on that. Plus, I spent my time watching American Idol last night practicing shield removal and installation. Shoei definitely has it over Arai in that area, but I can see where once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal.

Reflective striping on arms and shoulders is pretty conspicuous as well, and up in the drivers line of sight.

KIF_0661.JPG

That's me and a co-worker, the jacket lights up from a good distance from behind from what I've seen riding behind him.

Along the lines of the benefits of reflective material, does anyone know where you can buy reflective fabric? My wife's jacket is solid black and doesn't have any reflective material at all. I've added decals to her helmet but I still think she could use something more. Maybe a leather vest with reflective trim. Any suggestions?

TejasFJR said:
Along the lines of the benefits of reflective material, does anyone know where you can buy reflective fabric? My wife's jacket is solid black and doesn't have any reflective material at all. I've added decals to her helmet but I still think she could use something more. Maybe a leather vest with reflective trim. Any suggestions?

My first thought was ridesafer.com, and sure enough:

Harness
Reflective_Harness_With_Belt.jpg

Reflective/Sew-On Tapes

Vests, e.g.:
Deluxe_Retroreflective_Safety_Vest_-_HiVis_Orange.jpg

Some would consider these as rating high on the dork-o-meter, but they're good for conspicuity (man, I love that word). ;-)

buck000 said:
My first thought was ridesafer.com, and sure enough:

Harness
Reflective_Harness_With_Belt.jpg

Reflective/Sew-On Tapes

Vests, e.g.:
Deluxe_Retroreflective_Safety_Vest_-_HiVis_Orange.jpg

Some would consider these as rating high on the dork-o-meter, but they're good for conspicuity (man, I love that word). ;-)

Conspicuity.....I love the word, as well.

There used to be a company in Chicago that made very high quality reflective material for vehicles...they're gone now......name was Conspicuity Inc.

Try 3M for retroreflective (like that word too) materials for sewing, sticking or gluing on clothes, motorcycles.

Also, you might be interested in 3M's SOLAS (safety of life at sea) material. They sent me a free sample....it is the most retrorelective material known to man.

Stay safe and conspicuous out there with lots of retroreflectivity.....

Oh, and don't forget the HIDs in your headlights.....need to be seen from the front, as well..........

I have a road workers vest I ware over my jacket it is vented and lightweight , lime green with reflective striping and stands out in the crowd . I pin it on so it stays on the jacket and I dont have to look for it when I gear up . As long as blind people drive cars every little bit helps . Any place that sells contractors supplys should have them , I found the one I use in an army surplus store . SEYA

Our surveyors always said they had more close calls when they were wearing their jobsite vests than when they werejust in normal clothing. Sometimes I guess others can target fixate on what is suppose to be conspicuous.

bluedogok said:
Our surveyors always said they had more close calls when they were wearing their jobsite vests than when they werejust in normal clothing. Sometimes I guess others can target fixate on what is suppose to be conspicuous.
I have often suspected target fixation on safety gear or road-side 'event' as a possible cause for some wrecks. Never could find any research on the subject. Conventional wisdom is not always correct.

I worked for a paving contractor years ago , one of the surveryors there insisted on working alone , said he didnt want to have to worry about anybody else when he was working in traffic . they had to clean him up from the I 10 feeder out by Katy. I dont remember if he had a vest or not . I dont worry to much about the target fixaction theory , the ratio of cars being passed by me to cars passing me is extreamly lopsided . SEYA

TejasFJR said:

I believe this is what is on my jacket, it's just the piping on the seams but lights up very well in headlights.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-135/ciikFFL/view.jhtml

http://www.fabric.breflective.com/reflective-dual.php

Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to track down. Something that could be easily sewn into something. Judging by how long it took my wife to find a jacket that pleased her in terms of fit and looks, I couldn't see her being that please with either the harness or some of the vests given her fairly sensitive dork-o-meter. (Now that I think about it, I must have had some kind of serious stealth mojo working to get by that meter.) :)

pbureau69 said:
I saw thisin the UK and though it would be a GREAT addon the bikes when we cross road headlights would catch the wheels nicely...

I have those on my bike... and have made sets for others. You wanting some? :)

Back