• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

May 17 ride out of New Waverly

Rule of thumb is pick odd and prime number.

E.g. 15x49 is better than 14x46.
E.g. 17x47 is better than 14x47.

Odd numbers: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9,...
Prime numbers: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, ...

Seriously, where is this from?

Do you still have 14-48?

I've been running 15-47 for a few years. Works pretty well, comfortable to cruise at 70 and will still pull the front wheel in 4th.

Do you still have 14-48?

I've been running 15-47 for a few years. Works pretty well, comfortable to cruise at 70 and will still pull the front wheel in 4th.

I was actually thinking about going lower gearing. Like 14x51. I had to fan the clutch a lot when riding the SHNF MUT. I don't think I want to cruise at 70. So many deer out there.

I was actually thinking about going lower gearing. Like 14x51. I had to fan the clutch a lot when riding the SHNF MUT. I don't think I want to cruise at 70. So many deer out there.

True, when on single track I mainly lug it in 2nd. I found that on the trails that stock is good for me.

The way it was explained to me... if you're running even numbers front and rear, then the same link is hitting the same tooth always and forever. That's supposed to be not so healthy for sprockets and chain. Ever since I put 14/52 on the KTM, it's had this resonating thing at 65+mph. It comes and goes at a few second intervals. I went hmmmm... then Dirtbike mag comes out with the same story in an article. On the way to Cloudcroft we had one of our 200 mile motorcycle heated debates among some guys that know a thing or three about the things (I'm definitely not in that group so I'll believe anything.) They talked like this was just common knowledge and I'd surely found the cause of my mysterious vibration issue. Then, following Woodsguy the other day I see his rear fender doing exactly that. He mentions running even numbers and, well...

Cause and effect or happy coincidence...dunno. :shrug:

OK i shouldn't think this late at night . I got it. Nobody runs odd length chains.

Last edited:
Back