• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Repair a crack in the plastic

pub610

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
A friend just bought a 10-yr-old K1200 with a crack in the plastic up near the fuel tank, What's the best way to repair it?
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Bill,

I have not used this but many on the forums say it works really well. Check out the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZHP6fE-BNU"]Plastex plastic repair kit - YouTube[/ame]

Ron

Plastex looks like a gimmick - CA and microspheres. Great for a nice quick fillet between your rudder and fuselage on an RC plane but no strength in this application. I recommend this product available at West Marine for about $25.

I used this successfully on a variety of plastic repairs. I don't understand how it works but it does. Note: it is not for bonding dissimilar materials. It is just for repairing plastics.

[ame="http://smile.amazon.com/2-Pack-Plast-Aid-Acrylic-Plastic-Repair/dp/B00B2QUNGM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com : 2-Pack Plast-Aid Acrylic, PVC, ABS, CPVC, Plastic Repair Kit - 2 x 6 oz. Kits (12 oz. total) : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

West Systems G/flex epoxy repairs plastic and bonds different materials. Just used it about 2 months ago to repair a leak in my Rally Raid tanks for the 690. Yesterday I happened to meet the current owner of a Sherco 290 that I repaired the gas tank and re-installed the petcock 2 years ago. That repair is holding strong.

Couple of hints:
If you can access the area to be repaired.
1) Flame treat the plastic to oxidize the surface. Using a butane/propane torch, heat the area until shiny. Quickly brush the flame over the area so you don't melt a hole in the plastic.
2) roughen up area around repair with at least 50 grit sandpaper for a better bond
3) Adding fiberglass cloth (1-3 layers of 4-8 oz cloth) to the repair will greatly strengthen it. To get a smoother finish, lay a piece of plastic bag over the repair and squeegee smooth.

If the leak is in a area you can't access like the one on my Rally Raid tank. Make sure the tank is dry. Slosh acetone over the repair area to clean. Let dry thoughly. Flow the G-Flex over the repair and leave the tank in a position where the epoxy sits on the crack until set up.

Pmd ya.

Bill T

I've used an epoxy specifically for plastic. One was made by Locktite and i forget the other. Both were off white in color. It works really well, but i suggest cutting a v channel in crack first and roughen it up. If your careful, you can repair the crack without disfiguring the finished surface by putting the v channel on the opposite side. You'll still see the crack, but it'll be strong.

They make a 5 minute and a 20 minute formula. I've always found the 5 minute stuff to be better.

Thanks, guys. The back side of the plastic will be accessible; it's essentially part of the fairing. He should be able to repair it from the back.

I've got a plastic welder. I haven't used it very much but the repairs that were made with it have held up... so far. I can bring it by this weekend if you want to give it a try.

Hey, Mark. Thanks for the offer. Clark's wife has dragged him away for a few days so I'm unsure of his schedule. I'll get with him when he gets back and we'll make a decision on a plan of action... so don't bring the welder yet.

Zip ties and hot glue and it will look like a real survivor bike!!!!
ziptiefreak_zps27812484.jpg

Back