• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS911 Galveston/Houston

Tom

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Lowry
My 05 is giving me a EWS fault. It still runs but performance and millage has declined drastically. Anybody have one of these gadgets I can plug in and read the code to see what's up?

Thanks,
Tom

When I hear EWS, I think antenna ring failure, but in that case, the bike shouldn't run at all. Low battery voltage has been a culprit in nuisance EWS warnings. Can you put a voltmeter on the battery and see what turning on the ignition and cranking it does?

Well, I say EWS out of ignorance. What I see is a yellow '!' along with an engine symbol on the LCD. It came on while riding but I will test the battery anyway.

Thanks.

The last time I saw this it turned out to be a failing fuel pump controller. You can bypass it and verify if that is the issue.

This is a quote from another forum that might help:

"The issue is that the harness has 3 wires connected to the controller - two of which power the pump. The controller varies the speed of the pump. If the controller dies no power gets through it to the pump.

So to get you home you go around the controller by applying 12v and ground directly to the two terminals on the top of the pump motor.

Having a pre-failure built set of wires is a good idea whether you get it from somebody or make it yourself. Also - pre-failure - locate the pump and the controller and figure out where and how to connect your two wires. I've had it described to me a couple of times but have never done it since I don't own a bike with a controller.

I know it has been discussed with photos on some other forums."

Ron

I think you might be in the emergency "limp-home" mode. Can't remember at the moment what BMW calls it. The early fuel pump controllers have a poor reliability history. I replaced mine with the newer version out of caution.

Wish you were closer, but surely somebody around Houston has a GS911 and can make a trip down there. Are you familiar with the BMW Sport Touring forum, BMWST.com?

Yeah Dave, I know...:mrgreen: This will probably be my last BMW so hate to drop $$$ on a tool I probably use once. If it comes down to it, I'll go that route.

Bike starts and runs fine. Just gets a little herky-jerky around mid power band, nothing I've experienced before the indication appearance.

I am suspecting an O2 sensor but don't want to guess.

I've always been able to ride/drive in, and get a dealer to "read" the codes for me. As long as the port was readily available, they'd plug in, read, and tell me what (the computer says) was wrong. I'd promptly march over to the parts counter and get what I'd need.

Did you try that yet? They might just help you out.

Yeah Dave, I know...:mrgreen: This will probably be my last BMW so hate to drop $$$ on a tool I probably use once. If it comes down to it, I'll go that route.

Bike starts and runs fine. Just gets a little herky-jerky around mid power band, nothing I've experienced before the indication appearance.

I am suspecting an O2 sensor but don't want to guess.

If you want to ride up to Huntsville I can help you out.

Thanks for the offer Dave. I'm gonna check with Gulf Coast tomorrow and see what the charge is. I doubt they will do it for free but if not too bad, I'll take it there.

Thanks Hardy but I hate to borrow one and have it sent to me. Looking for someone close by that has VIN codes free that I can take the bike to.

Guys, i am in the woodlands and have my r1200cl 2004 iabs with issues in speedometer and stop light always on. Both brake switches are ok, rear speed sensor ok, battery just new, abs relay ok . So came to the point of needing a gs911 to see error codes.
Anyone has one and can help me run the test?
Thanks in advance
Sleepless in the woodlands

This is probably not the best place to put your request, but you have a BMW dealer in The Woodlands, I believe. I doubt they will charge a lot just to read error codes.

The consumer version of the GS-911 is limited to 10 VIN numbers for advanced functions, so you might offer to reimburse an owner if one is expended in your debugging efforts.

Last edited:
reading error codes will not use up a VIN entry. Only resetting certain things. Sorry I can't help though since I'm in Austin.

Thank you guys for the prompt response.
I will be more than glad to "support" the use of the GS911. I believe that any owner of the GS911 will also have friendly input on what the messages are and how they can be fixed. At least to go to the dealer with a diagnostic and understanding of possible needed repairs (so I don't get the classic "is the ABS box you need to change....$3,000 please")

Thanks again !

Just in case anyone is interested in reading the entire story, here is the link to the forum

http://www.chromeheads.org/discus/messages/6/589550.html?1477258105

I have one in Katy. Unlimited vins. The only problem is I probably won't be available except for a few week nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One you use a GS-911, you will really appreciate what a useful device it is. I consider it an absolute necessity for any BMW buyer.

Back