• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Saturday 13 May 2017 North Texas Ride

Reaction score
Ok, I dont know what the route is yet... I know it will be about 170 miles round trip and I know that it will be south of DFW.

So be patient, more details to come. I am trying to work out the route and find some interesting spots.

But I wanted to get a date out there for all who wanted to ride with me for planning purposes.

Trying to work this ride around a good place to eat....we shall see.

Ok got the base route down.
It will start and leave from the Wal-Mart in Ennis Texas. From there it will go southeast around Richard chambers lake. The route is 217 miles at this point...but I will cut that down further. I do have one play area in the route...so it will be interesting to see what is there. Stay tuned..

And by the way if you know of any good roads down that way...let me know so I can work them in..

OK, Here it is... Look at it... taste it... feel it... lick it....
:zen:

Its 211.67 miles from Ennis Texas. I will start from the Whataburger/WalMart in Ennis Texas at 8am....SHARP!

I left the distance alone because this route did not appear to have any advanced riding or large challenges. So I think the ride will be fairly quick.

I did leave a "play area" in the route which lies at the south end of the lake..I figure lunch and an hour here will be fun for group.

Yes, the beginning has some distance on pavement...that is just to get us to the gravel and dirt. After that its a continuous mix of cool roads and scenery.

So if you have any corrections, input into the route...or changes you feel would be a better option...please let me know. These are your routes as well as mine. We want them to be great, and used regularly.

Chris
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
I think I will camp out Friday night at Navarro mils lake and wait for you on the route at Raleigh, right before fm55.

Last edited:
Yes, the beginning has some distance on pavement...

It that the run from Ennis to Italy?

Any scheduled gas stops?

I'll be a the Brookshire Brothers parking lot fueled up and ready to ride at 8:20

Last edited:
Well we are looking shakey for the 13th!! My daughters crf250 has a burnt out inlet valve (lost compression and won't run very well) I have removed the head and ordered new valves, but they won't be here until early next week, then I need to recut the valve seats in the head, lap the valves in and get it all back together by Friday evening, so it's going to be tight. I will try to get it done so that Sylvie, myself and my daughter can all come on the ride, but it's going to be very tight. If I can make it I would be happy to be a tail end Charlie.

Regards Gary

Last edited:
Usually don't have this problem, but I am having trouble downloading the file for some reason.

Rich

Thats weird Simmons... I have just downloaded it from a different computer and have no other complaints.. so check your settings, maybe an update changed something..

Chris

I'm in for the North Texas "Ennis" ride. Sounds like fun. I'm tentatively planning on riding down from McKinney, leaving around 6 am and eat breakfast at Whataburger in Ennis.

I live near Custer and 380. If anyone wants to ride along, let me know. I'll be on my one and only bike, the Strom 650.

I'm in for the North Texas "Ennis" ride. Sounds like fun. I'm tentatively planning on riding down from McKinney, leaving around 6 am and eat breakfast at Whataburger in Ennis.

I live near Custer and 380. If anyone wants to ride along, let me know. I'll be on my one and only bike, the Strom 650.

We will have to get to meet sometime, I also live right by the 380/custer intersection!! :trust: If we go (my wife, Daughter and I) we will trailer our bikes down as 6:00am is too early for us to ride!! :rider: I am getting old!!
Unfortunately my daughters bike just burnt out an inlet valve, so I am not sure I can get all the parts and have it running by 13th!! Depends how quickly the parts get shipped to me..

Have a great ride and hope to meet you on the 13th!!

Gary

It that the run from Ennis to Italy?

Any scheduled gas stops?

I'll be a the Brookshire Brothers parking lot fueled up and ready to ride at 8:20

Now I'm out....don't you just love scheduling conflicts....

UPDATED FILES!!!

Gary, Now I cant go with out you and Tail End Charlie...Something has to give here...

Anyway I have decided to change the route.. so here is the route we are going to take...

An old plank bridge, a terrain rail road tunnel crossing, and a possible water crossing....and I mean POSSIBLE... so dont get your hopes up...I know some of you like to get wet...

But I cut down on the pavement and mileage.. so we are from 217 down to 178 miles...which gives us time to play at the lake if that is even possible. But there are some interesting roads along the way. Plus we may have time for lunch somewhere...

Attached is the GPX file and KMZ for google earth if you want to take a look.'
Provide me feedback and also lets start a roll call of who will be there... Bikes up at 8am...dont be late.

The GPX and KMZ files can be found here.. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114178

Last edited:
Since I've never ridden on a group ride with y'all, I have to ask a noobie question.

When you mention time for lunch, do you mean stop and *buy* lunch or stop and eat lunch that I packed. I'm fine with either. I just wanted to be prepared.

?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So far it has meant stop and eat lunch that you brought with you. But each time we have stopped there has always been somewhere within 100 feet of where we stopped that sold food!! Bring your own is always a safe bet!! ��

Gary

Well thats right Gary, but remember we also stopped at the lake and had a bite to eat as well... There was a house within a hundred feet, but I dont think they would have feed us!:rofl:

Yes, always a safe bet to bring a lunch, because sometimes the right atmosphere presents itself to just stop and relax.

Odds are likely that the crossing on Ensign Rd will not be possible. It is the Chambers Creek and has been very active of late. I will ride down and take a look at it a few days before the ride and report back.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

So far it has meant stop and eat lunch that you brought
with you. But each time we have stopped there has always been somewhere within 100 feet of where we stopped that sold food!! Bring your own is always a safe bet!! ��

Gary

Just so you know. I updated the files again...down to 178...
I wanted to backtrack and look at a railroad bridge/tunnel down south.

See updated files

Back